Fox 9: Greg Johnson hoping to be next great center for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Wald:

It was just the start to a promising freshman year for Johnson. He played in 11 games, and made his first career start at Michigan State. He said during spring practice this week staying home and playing for P.J. Fleck was an easy choice.

"Just being from here, I’ve been a Gopher fan my whole life. I have pictures of me, can’t even walk yet, in a Gopher uniform," Johnson. "That was a big factor, just culture and staff, I was a huge fan."

One of his closest friends is also a current teammate, but on the opposite side of the ball. Johnson joined the Gophers along with defensive lineman Martin Owusu, though the two had different paths there.

"It was kind of funny, my first visit here was with Martin to the Wisconsin game, we beat them at home. I wasn’t even a recruit, I was just with Martin as a friend. That was super fun, just going through the whole process together, we had our different processes but ended up at the same spot so it was a lot of fun," Johnson said.

Now entering his sophomore season, Johnson has an entirely different task ahead of him. He’s the new starting center. He played last season at guard, and the position switch started during the Gophers’ bowl preparation against Bowling Green.

Johnson has taken every snap with the first-team offense during spring practice. He hasn’t been in that spot since his sophomore year at Prior Lake.

"Switching to center, there’s so much more to learn. I feel like switching to center has made me have to learn football more just in general and learn our style of offense," Johnson said.

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like at least the Center position has been won in spring training even though PJ says it’s about raising the floor, not winning positions. Hope Johnson is a great anchor on the OL, the next JMS. Very important position. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Sounds like at least positions has been won in spring training even though PJ says it’s about raising the floor, not winning positions. Hope Johnson is a great anchor on the OL, the next JMS. Very important position. Go Gophers!
Johnson is going to be very good for us. For him, I think it was less about him winning a starting job and more about them determining which spot that might be. I like that the staff was decisive with him, get him into his position of the future and build around him.

Sounds like at least the Center position has been won in spring training even though PJ says it’s about raising the floor, not winning positions. Hope Johnson is a great anchor on the OL, the next JMS. Very important position. Go Gophers!

Sounds like he’s ready to be the center of attention😗

Sounds like maybe he won it during bowl game practices (Why bowl games can and do matter). As Mr. Johnson described it, he's the QB of the OL. Early on, it sounds like the coaches knew he could handle the mental aspects of the position.

I'm excited for what this OL can be!

It's great to have a younger guy take over at center. Gotta believe continuity is pretty helpful at that position.

even though PJ says it’s about raising the floor, not winning positions.
You trust a thing Fleck says at pressers and when giving media quotes?

I’ve stopped doing that.

Whatever, at the end of the day it’s about winning games

Wasn't Johnson supposed to be so good he was pushing for freshman minutes?

And now he's got a position? At a great size for the job? Sounds like the next JMS if he develops right. A 6'5" center that can also pull is worth its weight in everything. Like all Minny centers should worship under the pull god king that was Eslinger, but if someone can both in line block and run... And I thought that was Johnson's thing, in being long and fast. Right?

If y'all don't want him let me know.

Wasn't Johnson supposed to be so good he was pushing for freshman minutes?

And now he's got a position? At a great size for the job? Sounds like the next JMS if he develops right. A 6'5" center that can also pull is worth its weight in everything. Like all Minny centers should worship under the pull god king that was Eslinger, but if someone can both in line block and run... And I thought that was Johnson's thing, in being long and fast. Right?

If y'all don't want him let me know.
Living in Tempe? Nah we will keep him and watch him develop into and All-American and high NFL draft pick. Thanks though ;-)

We see another potential NFL center replacing JMS. How can we not like that?

giphy.gif

Looking forward to seeing his development & play this fall. Great attitude putting his team 1st. If fans would put the needs of the team ahead of their wants the world would be a better place. Watch-cheer-support-donate-repeat. The life cycle of a true fan.

Top Bottom