Foundations crumbling

It's 8:36 AM, I just finished my first cup of coffee, I log on to GH to find out we're in mortal danger of being kicked out of the B1G because we just had a 5-7 season!
I think it's more about the 50 years of sub-mediocrity and a tiny fanbase
Good grief.
You're being naive if you think it isn't being discussed.

I think it's more about the 50 years of sub-mediocrity and a tiny fanbase

You're being naive if you think it isn't being discussed.

Since 2019, the Gophers have finished...

11-2

3-4 (COVID)

9-4

9-4

5-7 (bowl pending)

TOTAL: 37 wins, 21 losses. 3 bowl wins, one Top 10 finish.

You're actually saying that record will get Minnesota booted out of the B1G? Is that really what you're going to say?

C'mon, man. Speaking of mediocrity, your premise is weak, even by a troll's standards.

As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
The entire program has the feel of INstability.
I couldn't have said it better. I thought 8-4 possible and 7-5 likely. But it's not only that they went 5-7. it's how they lost that is maddening.

My biggest worry now is that Fleck may go full-on Brewster and start making changes for the sake of making changes. We all saw how that turned out. Fleck is more grounded than Brewster, but it's pretty obvious that he has to make some changes in approach and also up the talent on the team.

Good grief.

as I understand the argument/premise over the creation of a "super league" of some type - it's not that teams like MN would get kicked out. the argument is that teams like MN would choose to play on a different level.

to be clear - I am NOT predicting that this will happen. but I don't think it's impossible, either.

the idea is that the top 30 or so schools would break away from the NCAA to do their own thing. under this scenario, schools like MN would opt out - choosing to be competitive on their own level as opposed to being a permanent also-ran while trying to compete with the big-money teams.

Again - I am NOT predicting that this will happen. But if I would have come out 10 years ago and predicted the world we live in now - NIL, transfers, $75-million coaching buyouts, etc - people back then would have said I was crazy.

as I understand the argument/premise over the creation of a "super league" of some type - it's not that teams like MN would get kicked out. the argument is that teams like MN would choose to play on a different level.

to be clear - I am NOT predicting that this will happen. but I don't think it's impossible, either.

the idea is that the top 30 or so schools would break away from the NCAA to do their own thing. under this scenario, schools like MN would opt out - choosing to be competitive on their own level as opposed to being a permanent also-ran while trying to compete with the big-money teams.

Again - I am NOT predicting that this will happen. But if I would have come out 10 years ago and predicted the world we live in now - NIL, transfers, $75-million coaching buyouts, etc - people back then would have said I was crazy.
There's only big money for lots of teams people would be following. If you remove too many, or league becomes too small then no one will care about said superleague and money goes away. While my explanation is lacking, it's clear to me that there is no threat.

If that scenario actually took place, I'm not sure I'd be 100% against it. I'd hate losing the cachet of the traditional B1G, but there would be positives as well.

Let the big boys beat each other up all year/every year, and then watch all of them generally finish with 3, 4 losses (or more) each and every season. (This it what makes it unlikely to happen, though).

But, I could see Minnesota doing quite while in that format.

If that scenario actually took place, I'm not sure I'd be 100% against it. I'd hate losing the cachet of the traditional B1G, but there would be positives as well.

Let the big boys beat each other up all year/every year, and then watch all of them generally finish with 3, 4 losses (or more) each and every season. (This it what makes it unlikely to happen, though).

But, I could see Minnesota doing quite while in that format.
As long as Minnesota ends up in the same place as Iowa and Wisconsin, I don’t care where they end up.

As long as Minnesota ends up in the same place as Iowa and Wisconsin, I don’t care where they end up.
That's pretty much my view as well. I don't care if OSU or Mich break off to do their own thing as long as the Gophs play Wisconsin and Iowa yearly.

I kind of disagree here. Not disagreeing and saying they won’t break off. Disagree with Saying if they break off more people will watch.

People from Rutgers and Indiana and Minnesota and Oregon state will all watch OSU vs Oregon because it’s the best teams in their leagues playing each other.
If it’s another league/level I’m not sure as many people watch Oregon vs Ohio state

If Michigan, Penn state, Ohio state, UsC, Texas, Alabama break off and only play each other. I won’t watch any of that. I’d be more likely to watch an Iowa vs Kansas state game.

Sure it is a higher level of football. But it isn’t the highest. It’s lower level than non NFL pro leagues I don’t watch.

The European Super league makes more sense than a college football super league.
The college football super league isn’t even close to the best American football in the world. The reason I watch the big brands is because the team I watch is loosely affiliated with the big brands.

If there is nothing connecting teams 17-133 in college football to teams 1-16 in college football…a lot of fans from teams 17-133 who currently watch teams 1-16 won’t anymore.
Yep. Plus 10-16 will most likely be .500 or worse. Can't see those teams enjoying that reality after being considered a top team. Makes me think of when Nebby moved into the B1G, except there would be 6-8 teams feeling that way.

That's pretty much my view as well. I don't care if OSU or Mich break off to do their own thing as long as the Gophs play Wisconsin and Iowa yearly.

Yes, that actually sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

To be honest, the B1G's richest traditions have been slowly eroding since the conference started expanding anyway.

If the new 'super conference' was just the two or three former Big Ten "blue bloods", plus some new helmet schools from other conferences, they couldn't really call it the Big Ten anymore, could they?

Maybe the Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. conference would keep the Big Ten name.

Hmmm... maybe I'm beginning to like this idea.

Last edited:

I think the transfers last season from the d was the start. And unless pj can drastically up his game, it doesn't look good.
I agree 100% I was not undertanding why two starting linebackers would transfer.... Now I am seeing it as just the beginning of the unraveling

A question:

After the foundations of the Gopher football program have all crumbled to dust, will Gopher Hole still continue to exist?
As if the gnashing of teeth wasn't deafening enough already

A question:

After the foundations of the Gopher football program have all crumbled to dust, will Gopher Hole still continue to exist?

Murray - the Boss has the answer for you

Now, when all this steel and these stories
Drift away to rust
And all our youth and beauty
Has been given to the dust
When the game has been decided
And we're burnin’ down the clock

And all our little victories and glories
Have turned into parking lots
When your best hopes and desires
Are scattered to the wind

And hard times come and hard times go and
Hard times come and hard times go and
Hard times come and hard times go
Yeah, just to come again

Bring on your wrecking ball

As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
The entire program has the feel of INstability.
Can we get an update on the crumbling?

You just did.

Let's see where this recruiting class ends up.
Okay Nostradamus 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It didn’t happen when you predicted, but you were actually was talking about a 1.5 later - forecasting the future!!!

You still charge $3,99/per minute Ms. Cleo?

Here’s some knowledge from third party sources, I’ll always look fit and be comfortable with knowledge from them vs. free anonymous online caterwauling.
Remember, it’s a hood at to have a great day.

“Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one.” Voltaire

Chinese Farmer Parable-

A farmer and his family in ancient China owned a horse. His neighbors said how lucky he was to have such a fine horse to pull his plow through the fields. The farmer said, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”
One day the horse broke through the gate and ran away. His neighbors came around to lament his terrible loss, saying it was a terrible bit of bad luck. The farmer said, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”
Days later the horse returned to the farm along with seven wild horses. His neighbors came around to exclaim his remarkable good fortune, saying, “Now you are rich!” The farmer said, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”
A few weeks later the farmer’s son was training the new wild horses and fell off and broke his leg. The neighbors came around to commiserate his misfortune and said, “What bad luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”
The next week the army came around taking all the able-bodied young men from the village to fight in the war. The farmer’s son with the broken leg was left behind. The neighbors now lamented the loss of their sons and commented on how lucky the farmer was to have his son.

And so the story goes on…​

Imagine in the not-too-distant future that the B1G wants to add a few more attractive schools and decides to kick out the dead weight. Not so funny anymore, is it?
I'd LOVE to be in a league with the other non-paying B1G schools. I'd love to never have to see sleaze programs like Ohio State, Alabama, & USC ever again.

Advertise it as real college amateur football. With it's own championship. I think the ratings would IMPROVE.

I don't see how ANYone could look at the status of this program and not feel it's on shakier ground than a year ago.
I think people were falsely overconfident a year ago. AK was an unknown, lost a lot on defense, yet people were feeling good.

Maybe this year we will just be more realistic.

Ok, numbnuts,
What a mature man you are - so impressive.
I didn't predict anything. I said it was occuring.
How amusing you are, my flyboy friend, to wait until Rossi leaves to reply back to me. Methinks, you were waiting in the weeds for something like this (loss of recruits/non special teams coach) to respond back; it’s certainly not for lack opportunity🤣.

So in essence this is a distinction without a difference.

Now drop and give me 20.
Try to keep up.

Top Bottom