FOS has obtained audio of the heated exchange between Lane Kiffin and DT DeSanto Rollins after Rollins' 'mental health break.’ $40MM lawsuit

Just read the article and I obviously don’t have a dog in this fight but Kiffen was pissed because he had asked the kid to come meet with him and for several weeks the kid refused.

No one would bat an eye if this was an NFL coach talking to an NFL player.

College football players, particularly at elite schools, are professional athletes.

And obviously this kid recorded the conversation without permission, which should be illegal (I don't know what the law actually says, probably varies by state), and leaked it out to smear the coach.

If you have mental health issues, then you should get them fixed and not be playing professional sports.

Probably handled it more brusquely than necessary, but as a non-employee not sure how eg FMLA-style leave applies here. Can probably be dismissed for a multitude of reasons.

Player vanished from the team and would not meet with the head coach when I asked to repeatedly.

The player might be struggling with some mental illness, and that is not his fault.

But it is his responsibility…

I'd imagine most coaches would respond similarly if a player skipped practices and meetings due to an injury without staying in contact with coaches and medical staff. The way some people have reported it makes Kiffin look bad but this seems like a reasonable response.

To allow this is to put every college coach, regardless or sport, in a position where the players have control over the situation. As a coach, that would be the end.... NIL has already done much of that. Coaches still need some control of their teams.

Top Bottom