FOS: Bowl Games Could Bring In $450M With Expanded Playoffs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Front Office Sports:

Bowl games will only increase in value with help from the College Football Playoff.

The CFP will expand from four to 12 teams in 2024, and the increase could reportedly generate at least $450 million in gross revenue over the final two years of the competition’s current media deal.

• The CFP currently has an exclusive deal with ESPN that runs through 2026 and pays an average of $470 million per year.
  • The expanded playoff could command as much as $2.2 billion per year — more than double the current payout.
  • It would surpass the Big Ten’s current media rights deal with FOX, CBS, NBC, and NBC’s Peacock, which averages more than $1 billion a year.
Bowl games outside the CFP are expected to increase in value as competition to acquire media rights heats up, leading to a potential multiple-network deal to broadcast college football’s top teams. As of 2022, there are 41 postseason bowl games.

Power 5 conferences make $670 million per year from their New Year’s Six bowl games, including the three CFP games. An expanded 12-team playoff could make $1.9 billion per year.

Go Gophers!!

per Front Office Sports:

Bowl games will only increase in value with help from the College Football Playoff.

The CFP will expand from four to 12 teams in 2024, and the increase could reportedly generate at least $450 million in gross revenue over the final two years of the competition’s current media deal.

• The CFP currently has an exclusive deal with ESPN that runs through 2026 and pays an average of $470 million per year.
  • The expanded playoff could command as much as $2.2 billion per year — more than double the current payout.
  • It would surpass the Big Ten’s current media rights deal with FOX, CBS, NBC, and NBC’s Peacock, which averages more than $1 billion a year.
Bowl games outside the CFP are expected to increase in value as competition to acquire media rights heats up, leading to a potential multiple-network deal to broadcast college football’s top teams. As of 2022, there are 41 postseason bowl games.

Power 5 conferences make $670 million per year from their New Year’s Six bowl games, including the three CFP games. An expanded 12-team playoff could make $1.9 billion per year.

Go Gophers!!
For those who think bowl games are going away this article will disappoint them

I really think the expanded playoffs are going to do two things: 1) put more importance in the regular season 2) bring more positive attention to the sport

Take this year for example: How fun would it be for our Gophers going into the last 3-4 weeks knowing you have a chance at conference championship game and the winner of that game gets an automatic bid. I know they would have needed to pull off a huge upset in the championship game, but you can't pull off the upset if you aren't even in the game.

There’s never been a better time to lunch a new bowl game than the 2024 season. The NY6 bowls will only have 8 teams total (rather than 12) creating the need for two new major bowl games.

Also, the CFP is shifting its championship a week earlier to avoid competing against the expanded NFL playoff calendar. This means four of those six NY6 bowls will be played in mid-December. This all really clears-up the late December/early January calendar, making 6 of the best television time slots wide open.

The B1G doesn’t need to be playing on weekday afternoons after next season.

the top-tier bowl games may increase in value, but I have a hard time believing that TV Networks, streamers and advertisers will be clamoring to acquire the rights for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

the networks and streamers want the games that matter - the playoff games and the major New Year's Day games.

as far as the Gophers - if they have a big year, like 2019, they can definitely be in the running for one of the 12 playoff spots. you can bet that the top 2 teams in the B1G are going to be in the playoffs every year. the question is whether a 3rd or even a 4th team can sneak in.

For those who think bowl games are going away this article will disappoint them
Thinking bowls games are going away (or at the least be greatly diminished) does not mean one will be disappointed. Just just as easily be thrilled that there will still be yet more football.

If one cares only about being correct more than the actual contests themselves, then I guess that would classify as a disappointment.

Personally, I struggle to find the value in the programming, but I don't deny it's there. Opt outs, Transfer Portals & temp coaches, if they don't care enough to participate it's just not worth my time.

There were several Bowl games on Saturday even though it was head-to-head with the NFL. Cincinnati and Louisville, both had interim coaches and are essentially neighbors. Yet they traveled north to Fenway Park to duke it out. Somebody must be watching besides degenerate gamblers. No judgement.

There’s never been a better time to lunch a new bowl game than the 2024 season. The NY6 bowls will only have 8 teams total (rather than 12) creating the need for two new major bowl games.

Also, the CFP is shifting its championship a week earlier to avoid competing against the expanded NFL playoff calendar. This means four of those six NY6 bowls will be played in mid-December. This all really clears-up the late December/early January calendar, making 6 of the best television time slots wide open.

The B1G doesn’t need to be playing on weekday afternoons after next season.
Maybe it's better for the Big 10 to play on weekday afternoons without any NFL competition.

I pointed this out in another thread, but only two bowl games last year had less than 1 million viewers and those were right around 850k. This will get you a top five (non-news) cable rating almost every night. And the bowls are doing those numbers all over the weekday/weeknight map - and for very little production investment on the part of the network. There is no realistic reason to think this will change with the playoff. The Lending Tree Bowl isn't any more or less important whether there is a playoff or not - people will still watch college football.

Maybe it's better for the Big 10 to play on weekday afternoons without any NFL competition.
That’s why they do it that way now. ESPN wants to avoid putting college football on against NFL games. But once the majority of NY6 moves earlier into November all those slots are open and it will no longer be necessary.

That’s why they do it that way now. ESPN wants to avoid putting college football on against NFL games. But once the majority of NY6 moves earlier into November all those slots are open and it will no longer be necessary.
November? I think you mean December.

What Weekend Slots are available? The NFL plays every Sunday through January and Saturday this past weekend and next. They are taking the 31st off for NYE and letting the CFB Semis take over.

If Saturday wasn't NYE, I am sure there would be games.

November? I think you mean December.

What Weekend Slots are available? The NFL plays every Sunday through January and Saturday this past weekend and next. They are taking the 31st off for NYE and letting the CFB Semis take over.

If Saturday wasn't NYE, I am sure there would be games.
Yeah, December.

It’s not about the current NFL time slots. It’s that the NY6 won’t be using any of theirs anymore. So, starting 2024, of the 8 bowl games that would have been played on NYE and NYD, there will now only be two (and No NFL games those days).

Yeah, December.

It’s not about the current NFL time slots. It’s that the NY6 won’t be using any of theirs anymore. So, starting 2024, of the 8 bowl games that would have been played on NYE and NYD, there will now only be two (and No NFL games those days).
Gotcha. Though I think when NYD falls on a Monday, there will be a full slate of NFL games on Sunday (NYE), just there are this year with NYD falling on Sunday.

For anyone who thinks there are too many bowl games. There is NO FOOTBALL on television right now. :confused:

They’re just passing-up on good money. I’d watch FAU play Tulsa tonight.

Top Bottom