Formo, Sr.

Formo

Sections 109 and 114
Reaction score
Here's a snippet of a benefit auction/event invite:

Joel Formo is a 54 year old Father of 6 Grandfather of 5 and a Friend of many. He has been diagnosed with colorectal cancer; colon cancer that has spread to his liver. He does not have insurance and no means of supporting his family while he undergoes 6-12 months of chemotherapy. He has a severely disabled son who requires 24/7 care. And because of this his wife and son stay at his wife’s mothers. Now with Joel’s need of care she (his wife) bounces from one home to the other to care for both of them. She cannot help financially but she can help with their physical and mental needs.
Joel has lost everything once in his life when the cost of living and medical needs for his son excelled what he could provide. He did everything humanly possible to take care of his large family. But it wasn’t enough. Through the past few years he finally thought he had his life and family on the right track. He bought a truck and became an owner operator over the road truck driver, he bought a house, and has began to try and make it better so his wife and son can move back in with him. And now he has cancer.

That's my dad. I questioned even posting this here; but as a man of faith, I could not just sit idly by while I could be asking for thoughts and prayers. So here's my Call to Arms. He was diagnosed May of 2011 and as of yesterday he's been in the hospital because of his liver not functioning properly. His doctor is getting the opinions from two other doctors, one a surgeon, the other another doctor. We'll be making the trip up to the hospital tomorrow to further comfort him (they live a few hours away from us). Doctors have said that surgery, more specifically liver transplant, is not an option but if direct meds doesn't do the trick he'll probably need liver stints. If that happens, he'll probably get that done at Abbott in MPLS.

His CaringBridge is here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/JoelFormo for those interested. I don't expect you to be up to date, but I may use this thread to express myself and update anyway. I find that writing my thoughts and updates helps me cope as my father has been the Super Hero of my life.

I don't ask for pity. If you give me anything, I'll only accept empathy. Every fiber of my being would be eternally grateful for any positive vibes, thoughts and prayers for dad's health.

Also, mods.. Feel free to move this. I only posted this here to get as many views as possible.

I'm glad you have a dad who you love and admire, and I'm glad you posted this here. I'll say a prayer before I go to sleep tonight. God bless.

Formo...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family (especially dad) at this time...

Keep us posted on his progress.

That's a tough one, man, and I'm very sorry to hear that about your father. You and he have my best wishes and fondest hopes, and he will absolutely be prayed for tonight.

Regards-
Sean

Formo,

Godspeed to you and your family in this journey.

I sent you a PM as well.

All the best.

Went through this with my Dad and to a lesser extent my Mom as well. Sent a PM. Blessings to you and your family.

Prayers will be said today in church. Best of luck.

Best to you, Jeremy. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts. Please feel free to use this forum and thread to express your feelings. We are all Gopher fans, and that is what binds us together, through thick and thin, good times and bad.

Thanks for sharing your father's story. It brought us all back to what is really important in life.

Sorry to hear this... best wishes to your father and family. I went through this with my hero also. ^ Yes, we are all Gophers, in this together!

We will raise him up to the Lord Jesus for healing and strength. Please keep us posted down here in TX.

You only get 1 Dad.....I will miss mine when he dies. I'm glad too you have good relationship w/ your Dad.

GM

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Be confident that many are thinking of you and your dad during this most difficult time. God speed!

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Be confident that many are thinking of you and your dad during this most difficult time. God speed!

+1, sending good vibes and thoughts to you and your family Formo.

I'll be praying for your family, asking that God keeps you in his warm embrace

Formo-

All the best. Thanks for sharing. It really brings perspective to everything.

Best wishes to you and your family. I understand what you are going through and will try to send the best vibes I can your way.

Best wishes to you Formo and your entire clan.

I'm sure this is incredibly tough but I'm sending you positive energy and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I will be praying for your father, you and the rest of your family plus all that have been touched by your father. Keep your chin up, and please keep us informed.

Thank you guys very much. My father and family was moved to tears by the generosity, thoughts, and prayers.

We'll have updates via CaringBridge, and I will try to express any minor updates here as time and emotional energy allows. It's amazing how much strength I found I get from my 4 younger sisters. I just pray I can also return the favor.

Thank you all, very, very much.

Today's meeting with the oncologist brought bad news. They will no longer be administering chemo and according to the doctor, the projected time-line for Daddy is 3-4 weeks. This coming weekend/week we'll be going over hospice plans and such. For those that read/post on the CaringBridge, I humbly ask you to not acknowledge any more information than what is posted there as we are still figuring out how we are going to spread the news to the rest of the family. But I figured I'd update you with the information I have. I told one of my bosses today (at job #1) and actually embarrassed myself by breaking down and bawling. I couldn't even spit out the words, I just stood there choking. I actually laugh about it now because he didn't have a clue as to why I was bawling when he asked if I were willing to work over the weekend. As soon as I composed myself and told him why I couldn't work this weekend, I left work.

Tomorrow our plans are to go to the Gopher game (I need an escape, even if it's a weak one, football is one.. Many of you know this) and as soon as the final whistle blows, Shanna (Mrs. Formo) and I will be heading up North for some more quality time. I'm hoping to get all my crying done before then as I know my mother and sisters will probably need some emotional stability.

Thank you guys for listening/reading my babbling. I truly appreciate it.

Read the Caring Bridge site earlier today. May you find comfort from your family and friends.

Formo,

First of all, I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope you and your family find peace in the remaining time you have with your Father.

Second of all, I hope you are never embarrassed for expressing your emotions be-it verbally, through tears, through feeling scared, etc. There is never shame in crying and there is no path for how you are supposed to act and feel in front of colleagues, friends, family, etc.

Godspeed to your Father, Mother, you, your Sisters and Family.

Football is not a weak escape. It's my favorite escape.

I'd love for the Gophers to send out Formo Sr. with an undefeated record.

Indulge me. In 1987, my grandfather, who I was very close to, was failing fast. We purchased a Twins game on the old MSC to see if the Twins could clinch their first division title since 1970. The Twins lost and failed to clinch. My grandpa told me "I'll never live to see them win the World Series".

He didn't. It was one of the last things he ever said to me. Two days later he died of a massive stroke. Three weeks later, the Twins won their first World Series Championship.

Maybe there's karma in the works. Godspeed to all the Formos.

Thoughts and prayers to the Formos from me and my family in Huskerland. May God grant you peace and strength.

Formo,
It is obvious your father has done a great job in raising you. You are a terrific son, and your father will live on in you for as long as you are alive.
I trust your father and family -- as well as yourself -- will enjoy the remaining days and weeks you still have together.
Please know that God Himself is with your family, too, especially at this time in the twilight of your father's life. God shares in your sorrow, and weeps with you, and yet will bring great comfort to all the Formo's.
God Bless...

Top Bottom