Former Wisc QB Graham Mertz - SEC Player of the Week - I don't know what to believe anymore

I would have thought most here would completely agree with you especially after seeing him in the spring game.
No way. Not most. Some

Some Minnesota fans on this board were blinded by their distaste of Mertz and wouldn’t credit him.
Other Minnesota fans on this board were blinded by their distaste of themselves and continually made the case Mordecai was the next coming

No way. Not most. Some

Some Minnesota fans on this board were blinded by their distaste of Mertz and wouldn’t credit him.
Other Minnesota fans on this board were blinded by their distaste of themselves and continually made the case Mordecai was the next coming
I remember a few people bringing up Mordecai's stats at SMU like people were supposed to be overly impressed with them. Of course his interception numbers were omitted. It was pretty clear from his performance in the spring game that past results were in no way an indicator of future performance.

I thought there was a substantial group who recognized his shortcomings after spring ball. Maybe I missed something.

Many of these coaches started coaching Div III and worked up. One year they are the running back coach, next QB. Your lucky if you find a good QB coach.

FL QB coach: hey, see this? See that? Don’t throw it to the safety.
Mertz: oh, oh yah! (nods head thoughtfully)

This is it.
Alverez retired summer of 2021 (as AD).

Unlike all other ADs, Alverez was effectively a HeadHead Football Coach. CEO of the program. It’s why Bielema left. HC wasn’t a true HC job while Barry was AD. He was highly involved in the day to day operations of the of the football program and was widely reported to have made ALL of the significant decisions right until the moment he retired and was replaced. The new guy started gutting everything 15 months after he left.
So 20-12. Minny is 21-11. Both dumpster fires? McIntosh agrees with you which is why Chryst is gone. Will PJ be shitcanned after this year? Hell no, because the standards and expectations are much much lower.

So, in the end, having a bigger arm, being taller, being a better runner... none of that means all that much. It certainly isn't enough to make up for lack of talent at wide receiver and conservative play-calling by the staff.

Good to know.
Strike taller. Throwing sidearm makes a QB short.

This is it.
Alverez retired summer of 2021 (as AD).

Unlike all other ADs, Alverez was effectively a HeadHead Football Coach. CEO of the program. It’s why Bielema left. HC wasn’t a true HC job while Barry was AD. He was highly involved in the day to day operations of the of the football program and was widely reported to have made ALL of the significant decisions right until the moment he retired and was replaced. The new guy started gutting everything 15 months after he left.

So then, I must have misunderstood the original argument. I though that you were claiming Wisconsin has been a "raging dumpster fire" since Alvarez retired as coach. But apparently your claim is actually that Wisconsin has been a "raging dumpster fire" since... 2021? Is that correct?

Last edited:

I keep wondering: Where is that guy who destroyed Wisconsin last year? What happened to that guy?

He was handcuffed late against Northwestern and probably shell shocked by Michigan. Hopefully that's a temporary condition. He was actually pretty good against Northwestern but he could have done more I believe in Fleck had let him in the 4th quarter. He was very good against Louisiana. He wasn't that great against Nebraska but, since he was about the only offense we had in that game, good enough.

I don't anticipate that he will throw a lot of passes against Iowa unless they stop the running game. Iowa's defense can be scary but I think they're a little banged up so maybe they won't be at 100%.

Hopefully that conclusion is a bit premature.
I hope so too. But there's a full season of evidence that indicates there's a lot of parallels.

FWIW, I don't think Fleck would get fired like Chryst for a couple down years because he's got a lot of goodwill built up and somewhat lower expectations to meet.

He was handcuffed late against Northwestern and probably shell shocked by Michigan. Hopefully that's a temporary condition. He was actually pretty good against Northwestern but he could have done more I believe in Fleck had let him in the 4th quarter. He was very good against Louisiana. He wasn't that great against Nebraska but, since he was about the only offense we had in that game, good enough.

I don't anticipate that he will throw a lot of passes against Iowa unless they stop the running game. Iowa's defense can be scary but I think they're a little banged up so maybe they won't be at 100%.

I see.

He (apparently) needs everything to line up, just so, in order to show again what we all saw against Wisconsin last season.

He must not be 'handcuffed', or 'shellshocked', nor should he to be expected to bear the weight of being 'the only offense we have' in any particular game.

In short, he needs nurturing, rather than adversity. Oh, and he needs NFL-quality receivers. Preferably two of 'em.

It that about the size of it?

Last edited:

So then, I must have misunderstood the original argument. I thought that you were claiming Wisconsin has been a "raging dumpster fire" since Alvarez retired as coach. But apparently your claim is actually that Wisconsin has been a "raging dumpster fire" since... 2021? Is that correct?
Yes. Since July 2021.

So 20-12. Minny is 21-11. Both dumpster fires? McIntosh agrees with you which is why Chryst is gone. Will PJ be shitcanned after this year? Hell no, because the standards and expectations are much much lower.
People used to post on here about how much higher Nebraska’s standards and expectations were. Minnesota has won 4 straight bowl games under PJ, and Nebraska hasn’t been eligible to play in one since before that streak started.

Let’s just see how much you like McIntosh in three years.

People used to post on here about how much higher Nebraska’s standards and expectations were. Minnesota has won 4 straight bowl games under PJ, and Nebraska hasn’t been eligible to play in one since before that streak started.

Let’s just see how much you like McIntosh in three years.
This season is providing further evidence as to why McIntosh needed to move on from Chryst. That dude ran this program into the ground the last few years. There is maybe 1 NFL player on D and a few NFL backups on O. Awful talent level. i Feel good about Fickel - it will take a few years - but I’m confident.

This season is providing further evidence as to why McIntosh needed to move on from Chryst. That dude ran this program into the ground the last few years. There is maybe 1 NFL player on D and a few NFL backups on O. Awful talent level. i Feel good about Fickel - it will take a few years - but I’m confident.
Happy to have you here. See you at brothers on Sat! - the one on ripple. One question- do you visit all the BT fan boards?

Doesn’t look like he’s recruiting any better than Chryst. The product on the field is pretty rough. The transfers have been just OK as far as I can tell. Yep, he’ll get at least 3 or 4 years to show he is an improvement from Chryst.

Doesn’t look like he’s recruiting any better than Chryst. The product on the field is pretty rough. The transfers have been just OK as far as I can tell. Yep, he’ll get at least 3 or 4 years to show he is an improvement from Chryst.
This years wisconsin team would’ve been 9-3 minimum with Chryst

This years wisconsin team would’ve been 9-3 minimum with Chryst
Nope. Wisconsin was 6-6 last year w Chryst/Leonhard. Last year they had Benton and Herbig in the front 7 (solid NFL guys). And Tippman at center (2nd round pick). And Mertz last year is probably better than redshirt freshman Braedyn Locke. From a talent Standpoint, this team is worse. They will finish with a better record because the Big Ten west is incredibly bad this year. I’m thinking 8-4.

Nope. Wisconsin was 6-6 last year w Chryst/Leonhard. Last year they had Benton and Herbig in the front 7 (solid NFL guys). And Tippman at center (2nd round pick). And Mertz last year is probably better than redshirt freshman Braedyn Locke. From a talent Standpoint, this team is worse. They will finish with a better record because the Big Ten west is incredibly bad this year. I’m thinking 8-4.
Last year the west was much better.
Illinois was better
Purdue was better
Minnesota was better
Iowa was better.

Top Bottom