Former Twins manager Billy Gardner dies at 96

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Billy Gardner, who managed the Twins for parts of five seasons in the 1980s, died on Wednesday at age 96 in Waterford, Conn.

Gardner spent 22 seasons in professional baseball as a player, including 10 seasons in the major leagues. Nicknamed "Slick" — he said it wasn't because of how he did his hair, but rather "because of the way I made the double play. I could turn a double play in a phone booth" — he spent three seasons with the Minneapolis Millers and was the Opening Day second baseman for the Twins in their first game in 1961. He played on two World Series championship teams — the New York Giants in 1954 and the New York Yankees in 1961.
"We are saddened to hear about the passing of former Twins Manager, Billy Gardner," the Twins wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

Win Twins!!

Billy Gardner, who managed the Twins for parts of five seasons in the 1980s, died on Wednesday at age 96 in Waterford, Conn.

Gardner spent 22 seasons in professional baseball as a player, including 10 seasons in the major leagues. Nicknamed "Slick" — he said it wasn't because of how he did his hair, but rather "because of the way I made the double play. I could turn a double play in a phone booth" — he spent three seasons with the Minneapolis Millers and was the Opening Day second baseman for the Twins in their first game in 1961. He played on two World Series championship teams — the New York Giants in 1954 and the New York Yankees in 1961.
"We are saddened to hear about the passing of former Twins Manager, Billy Gardner," the Twins wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

Win Twins!!
A baseball man - got to live his life around the game he ❤️

I knew Gardner was part of the original 1961 Minnesota Twins having played for the franchise in Washington the season before. I did not realize that his MLB playing career was much more than a cup of coffee.

He was around long enough to accumulate 841 base hits. His 1957 season with Baltimore he led the AL in Plate Appearances, At Bats and Doubles.

Pat Reusse with memories of Billy Gardner. a must read. as always with a Reusse column, stick around for the ending.....

one excerpt:
Those endless losses in 1982 and 1983, with a young, rebuilt team, a time when Gardner was stopped while driving from the airport to his plush quarters at the Super 8 in Roseville, alleged to be just over the legal limit.

"Why have you been drinking, Mr. Gardner?" the law man asked.

"I manage the Twins," was Slick's alleged reply.

Pat Reusse with memories of Billy Gardner. a must read. as always with a Reusse column, stick around for the ending.....

one excerpt:
Those endless losses in 1982 and 1983, with a young, rebuilt team, a time when Gardner was stopped while driving from the airport to his plush quarters at the Super 8 in Roseville, alleged to be just over the legal limit.

"Why have you been drinking, Mr. Gardner?" the law man asked.

"I manage the Twins," was Slick's alleged reply.

Yeah, that’s really a nice article about Slick. RIP

Top Bottom