former T-Wolf Ricky Davis to coach MN HS team

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Chris Long at KSTP-TV has posted the following:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, former Timberwolves player and 13-year NBA vet Ricky Davis is expected to be announced as the new Boys Basketball coach at Minneapolis North HS.

Davis would succeed legendary coach Larry McKenzie, who retired last month.

Can't help to think of this attempt at a triple double when I hear Ricky Davis' name:

Go Gophers!!
This is the first thing I think of.

The other was on a different message board a person with the username Trollpo would basically write Chinese proverbs and a memorable one was, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make Ricky Davis stop shooting the ball."

This is the first thing I think of.

The other was on a different message board a person with the username Trollpo would basically write Chinese proverbs and a memorable one was, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make Ricky Davis stop shooting the ball."
Pretty funny

Screw it though, happy someone of that stature is giving North a shot. Hopefully he has some coaching chops.

On one hand, I'm happy for North got someone with a big name. Hopefully it will bring some excitement to that group.

On the other hand, I used to bartend in downtown Minneapolis while Ricky Davis was with the Wolves. I hope he has matured quite a bit. . .

On one hand, I'm happy for North got someone with a big name. Hopefully it will bring some excitement to that group.

On the other hand, I used to bartend in downtown Minneapolis while Ricky Davis was with the Wolves. I hope he has matured quite a bit. . .
I would like to think so just as a general rule with no knowledge of Ricky Davis bar behavior

As a player I believe as Charles Barkley would say, he was a knucklehead. North sends a message that we are an NBA feeder program not about education with this type of hire imo Hopefully he will do a great job.

As a player I believe as Charles Barkley would say, he was a knucklehead. North sends a message that we are an NBA feeder program not about education with this type of hire imo Hopefully he will do a great job.
Deion came back a different person as a coach. I like Deion now, used to wish someone would punch him out. Hope Ricky can do the same.

This make 0 sense. How would Ricky Davis make them an NBA feeder program when they haven’t even had a NBA besides Khalid El-Amin. Also how is this any different than some of the former D1 players who have been hired as coaches

This make 0 sense. How would Ricky Davis make them an NBA feeder program when they haven’t even had a NBA besides Khalid El-Amin. Also how is this any different than some of the former D1 players who have been hired as coaches
It doesn’t but teenagers perception may be different than yours. I see no coaching or teaching experience. That said maybe he will do well in the position. His being an NBA player should get the kids attention anyhow

Deion came back a different person as a coach. I like Deion now, used to wish someone would punch him out. Hope Ricky can do the same.
Deion as a player was never the same as Deion as a person. The guy you see now was always who he was away from the fields. Heard many awesome stories about him and from him growing up. Genuinely a nice person. Loves the attention and knows how to get it.

El-Amin’s family chimes in:

Family speaks out after former high school basketball star passed over for Minneapolis North coach​

An absolute Minneapolis North legend, Khalid El-Amin would celebrate three state championships as a member of the Polars. El-Amin also won a national title at UConn and played professionally for the Chicago Bulls and, for years, overseas.

More recently, he has coached the high school boys at Saint Thomas Academy. But when the high-profile North coaching job opened this year following the retirement of Hall of Fame coach Larry McKenzie, the school passed over El-Amin, hiring a community outsider in former Timberwolves player Ricky Davis.

"This outright disrespect," said Khalid's brother Makram El-Amin. "Disrespect for people who have been in the community, vested in the community. We live, work, play, pray in this community. We are all about north Minneapolis."

The El-Amin family is furious including Khalid’s older brother and nephew. But the outrage over the decision extends well beyond these loved ones, as some comments on the North High Facebook page announcing the Davis hiring late last week show. The petition launched by the dad of another North superstar athlete in NFLer Tyler Johnson had nearly 1,000 signatures at last check calling for El-Amin’s hiring as boys hoops coach.

"So it's a lot of tradition, you know, it's a lot of history, winning history, you know, and we've been a part of a lot of it," said nephew Malik El-Amin. "So, again, I'm just questioning why, why, why?"

While Khalid El-Amin did not make himself personally available to FOX 9, our sources have confirmed the now 43 year old was the runner-up to Davis. The school’s announcement on the coaching hire from August 19 reports there were a pair of finalists who emerged through an interview committee with the final decision, "the most difficult."

FOX 9 is told that North principal Mauri Friestleben had significant influence in the process. As for comment for our reporting on Wednesday, Principal Friestleben told us via email that North High staff was on a retreat and thus unable to speak about the seemingly growing controversy within the community.

The El-Amin certainly hopes this isn’t the last word on the boys basketball coaching job.

"The idea of it being a community school, you know, suggests that there should be a community person that is there leading the charge," said Makram.

Go Gophers!!

Unless there is something I'm missing, it's really strange that El Amin wasn't named the coach.
Pure speculation but one could see concern on the part of school leadership that his ties to the community and the reverence they have for him would make him the de facto leader of the school. I’m not suggesting this is a good take but it is possible.

bad decision by north, this is Khalid’s job

Pretty odd, is he not a very good coach at St. Thomas Academy?

Pure speculation but one could see concern on the part of school leadership that his ties to the community and the reverence they have for him would make him the de facto leader of the school. I’m not suggesting this is a good take but it is possible.

Quite possible. I wonder if money may have been a factor (like a possible donation). I don't know about the two ex-players' financial situations but El-Amin made less than a million in his NBA career while Davis made just under $43 million.

Quite possible. I wonder if money may have been a factor (like a possible donation). I don't know about the two ex-players' financial situations but El-Amin made less than a million in his NBA career while Davis made just under $43 million.
I doubt it was anywhere near $43 million, but Khalid made a ton of money in Europe (probably more like ~$10 million).

I'd guess there is a political thing at the school. Some of the admins don't like El Amin or something we just don't know about.

I doubt it was anywhere near $43 million, but Khalid made a ton of money in Europe (probably more like ~$10 million).

I'd guess there is a political thing at the school. Some of the admins don't like El Amin or something we just don't know about.

Yeah, I forgot about international basketball. Davis also played two years internationally after his NBA career ended.

Well, if that's the case, seeing how El-Amin popped off (above) after not getting the job, maybe their fears about hiring him were justified.

I'm guessing you are right, principle didn't want anyone in the building with his influence.

If you don’t have specifics about the politics behind this, if any, it’s best to not speculate. That’s how unfounded rumors start. Maybe Davis just blew away the hiring committee as the best candidate to help the kids.

El-Amin’s family chimes in:

Family speaks out after former high school basketball star passed over for Minneapolis North coach​

An absolute Minneapolis North legend, Khalid El-Amin would celebrate three state championships as a member of the Polars. El-Amin also won a national title at UConn and played professionally for the Chicago Bulls and, for years, overseas.

More recently, he has coached the high school boys at Saint Thomas Academy. But when the high-profile North coaching job opened this year following the retirement of Hall of Fame coach Larry McKenzie, the school passed over El-Amin, hiring a community outsider in former Timberwolves player Ricky Davis.

"This outright disrespect," said Khalid's brother Makram El-Amin. "Disrespect for people who have been in the community, vested in the community. We live, work, play, pray in this community. We are all about north Minneapolis."

The El-Amin family is furious including Khalid’s older brother and nephew. But the outrage over the decision extends well beyond these loved ones, as some comments on the North High Facebook page announcing the Davis hiring late last week show. The petition launched by the dad of another North superstar athlete in NFLer Tyler Johnson had nearly 1,000 signatures at last check calling for El-Amin’s hiring as boys hoops coach.

"So it's a lot of tradition, you know, it's a lot of history, winning history, you know, and we've been a part of a lot of it," said nephew Malik El-Amin. "So, again, I'm just questioning why, why, why?"

While Khalid El-Amin did not make himself personally available to FOX 9, our sources have confirmed the now 43 year old was the runner-up to Davis. The school’s announcement on the coaching hire from August 19 reports there were a pair of finalists who emerged through an interview committee with the final decision, "the most difficult."

FOX 9 is told that North principal Mauri Friestleben had significant influence in the process. As for comment for our reporting on Wednesday, Principal Friestleben told us via email that North High staff was on a retreat and thus unable to speak about the seemingly growing controversy within the community.

The El-Amin certainly hopes this isn’t the last word on the boys basketball coaching job.

"The idea of it being a community school, you know, suggests that there should be a community person that is there leading the charge," said Makram.

Go Gophers!!
I find this somewhat hypocritical with their response to him being passed over. They talk about their loyalty to the community,

“This outright disrespect," said Khalid's brother Makram El-Amin. "Disrespect for people who have been in the community, vested in the community. We live, work, play, pray in this community. We are all about north Minneapolis."

If I remember correctly (sarcasm) he didn’t feel that loyalty and commitment to the community when he said no to the Gophers and went to U Conn. Some would say he showed disrespect to the U!

I'm guessing you are right, principle didn't want anyone in the building with his influence.
The North principal should not be hiring basketball coaches. That’s the AD’s job.

If I recall correctly--El-Amin's own kid left North to play at Hopkins. Maybe that decision didn't sit well? "all about North" until it comes to Ish staying there to play?

Top Bottom