Former Pitt WR Jordan Addison Is Transferring to USC With a Rumored $3.5 Million NIL Deal

I tend to agree that eliminating the "free" one-time transfer is not the answer.

Yes, it may prevent some players from jumping teams in search of big NIL money. But, it will also impact players who will never see a dime of NIL money, and simply want an opportunity to move to a different school in search of playing time or because they made a bad choice in choosing their original school.

That's like putting the entire school on suspension because a few kids got caught cheating.

What is to stop a booster from telling Recruit X that "we'll pay you to sit out a year if you agree to move to School B?"

the real problem IMHO is the NIL situation - not the free transfer. It's the combination of the two that is really causing problems. Get the NIL under control, and I think the transfer situation will also settle down.

I just don't agree with telling some guy on the end of the bench that "you can't have a free transfer because A&M is handing out huge NIL deals." you're punishing the innocent because of the sins of the guilty.

But, it will also impact players who will never see a dime of NIL money, and simply want an opportunity to move to a different school in search of playing time or because they made a bad choice in choosing their original school.
But ...... NO, it won't.

Every player has FIVE calendar years of eligibility, in a normal career. That's a redshirt year, any time you want it, and four seasons.

It's perfectly OK to transfer, and then sit out a year. Get used to the new school, new team, new friends, etc. That's how it was for a long time.

There was nothing wrong with that.

I tend to agree that eliminating the "free" one-time transfer is not the answer.

Yes, it may prevent some players from jumping teams in search of big NIL money. But, it will also impact players who will never see a dime of NIL money, and simply want an opportunity to move to a different school in search of playing time or because they made a bad choice in choosing their original school.

That's like putting the entire school on suspension because a few kids got caught cheating.

What is to stop a booster from telling Recruit X that "we'll pay you to sit out a year if you agree to move to School B?"

the real problem IMHO is the NIL situation - not the free transfer. It's the combination of the two that is really causing problems. Get the NIL under control, and I think the transfer situation will also settle down.

I just don't agree with telling some guy on the end of the bench that "you can't have a free transfer because A&M is handing out huge NIL deals." you're punishing the innocent because of the sins of the guilty.

Someone mentioned the idea of the receiving team having to compensate the former team. Professional sports have had different mechanisms in place over the years to penalize players moving around freely. Probably a non-starter since it is purportedly a detached third party is wooing and paying the player, not the program. There is probably no perfect answer right now. Stewart Mandel I believe said the NCAA has a total of nine compliance staff serving all of NCAA sports. How one monitors for and investigates tampering…well, probably not gonna happen.

Someone mentioned the idea of the receiving team having to compensate the former team. Professional sports have had different mechanisms in place over the years to penalize players moving around freely. Probably a non-starter since it is purportedly a detached third party is wooing and paying the player, not the program. There is probably no perfect answer right now. Stewart Mandel I believe said the NCAA has a total of nine compliance staff serving all of NCAA sports. How one monitors for and investigates tampering…well, probably not gonna happen.
Getting rid of "free" transfers takes care of it. Go ahead, transfer all you want ... you just aren't eligible the next fall.

Top Bottom