Former Pitt WR Jordan Addison Is Transferring to USC With a Rumored $3.5 Million NIL Deal

Poaching season is in full swing.

Next up: NIL deals that lock a player in for a period of years (such as 4) so that annual de-facto free agency will stop. Aka one step closer to the NFL.

No. It can go on now exactly as it is ... but the player should have to sit out a year for transferring, unless they're a grad transfer.

Or there needs to be something akin to contracts in the NFL, where you can only be eligible for X years with the school you sign with. Maybe the first three years. Then in year 4 you are a "free agent".

End the free transfer.

Plain and simple. Otherwise, any star at any P5 outside the top 10-15 elites will just get plucked.
Problem with removing the free transfer is that you are punishing a ton of athletes for the actions of a very small few. I mean it is easy to see the tampering/poaching that is happening in cases like this, but these situations are very rare in the grand scheme of things.

Only a very small percentage of players are going to be in line to make big money through these farce NIL deals. Most players will get little to nothing from it.

Problem with removing the free transfer is that you are punishing a ton of athletes for the actions of a very small few. I mean it is easy to see the tampering/poaching that is happening in cases like this, but these situations are very rare in the grand scheme of things.

Only a very small percentage of players are going to be in line to make big money through these farce NIL deals. Most players will get little to nothing from it.
I tend to agree, but the 1 year sit out has been in place forever. Exceptions can be made (such as if the coach leaves) but a commitment should mean something, correct?

I tend to agree, but the 1 year sit out has been in place forever. Exceptions can be made (such as if the coach leaves) but a commitment should mean something, correct?
I don't disagree but the waiver/exception process was a joke as well.

Loyalty isn't really a think in college athletics....at least not in football and basketball

Agreed. I have no issues with players getting paid whatever some crazy billionaire is willing to pay them, but I'm not on board with the idea of being able to hop around. I really think people are focusing on the wrong issue.

Agreed. I have no issues with players getting paid whatever some crazy billionaire is willing to pay them, but I'm not on board with the idea of being able to hop around. I really think people are focusing on the wrong issue.
kind of a perfect storm with the two issues both taking place at the same time. With free transfers it is very easy for boosters or other outside sources to tamper with players on existing rosters by offering them big sums of money to consider transferring.

Still up to the school to decide if they want to bring the player in but let's face it, USC isn't turning down a player like Addison.

Yeah. Pretty easy solution to everything is once you enrolled 366 day wait to be eligible to play at another school once you enroll. No exceptions.

Might be an easier pill to swallow and not harm the athletes as much if you made the rule that the wait period doesn’t count against your eligibility. I don’t even think there should be an exception of the coach leaves. If you don’t cost someone eligibility to sit out sitting out a year because your coach leaves isn’t as big of a problem. You could get rid of the “you have 5 to play 4” rule.
A guy could be a freshman in fall 22
Sit out to transfer fall 23
Be a redshirt freshman fall 24
Sit out to transfer fall 25
Be a redshirt sophomore fall 26.
You can go ahead and bounce around if you want. But you can’t just play for a different team in 8 months.

I’ve been saying this for months. The portal isn’t the problem. The free transfers are the problem.

The other solution is to limit the number of practice players to 85-100 (I don’t know what the right number is…might be even higher than that)…and players on the roster but sitting out to transfer COUNT towards that number.

From the scallion wire:

In other news, Lamborghini opens U.S. Manufacturing facility...

End the free transfer.

Plain and simple. Otherwise, any star at any P5 outside the top 10-15 elites will just get plucked.
Oh, they are doing that. Just the "free" part is no longer there for the acquiring school.

We've heard that for the last 40 years.
Gen Z will give us some answers in due time I suspect. This is the generation that has been brought up on tablets, iphones, digital streaming, etc. and they seem to have found other things to keep them entertained. I think there are a fair number of them that would rather watch videos of the latest internet challenge than watch a bunch of their peers that they never cared about in high school run around on a football field for 3 hours.

Gen Z will give us some answers in due time I suspect. This is the generation that has been brought up on tablets, iphones, digital streaming, etc. and they seem to have found other things to keep them entertained. I think there are a fair number of them that would rather watch videos of the latest internet challenge than watch a bunch of their peers that they never cared about in high school run around on a football field for 3 hours.
True, but if Gen Z turns away from football it will be for the reasons you mentioned, not NIL and the transfer portal.

True, but if Gen Z turns away from football it will be for the reasons you mentioned, not NIL and the transfer portal.
What might happen long term is cheaper ticket prices. As empty stadiums get lower tv revenue

And I’m here for hat

What might happen long term is cheaper ticket prices. As empty stadiums get lower tv revenue

And I’m here for hat
You thinking like a baseball hat? Top hat? Bowler hat?

Oh, they are doing that. Just the "free" part is no longer there for the acquiring school.
But that is a huge deal. Addison doesn't make a move if he can't play in 2022. Likewise, NIL boosters don't give him money to sit on a bench.

It's not punishing anyone.

No one is being forbidden and physically prevented from transferring. By all means, transfer.

You just ain't playing immediately that fall.

Top Bottom