Former Osseo TE Will Johnson to transfer from WVU

This is a cautionary tale to all instate recruits. Oh sure the promises, the facilities, the Campus, The Coach, the chance to get away. And then what. It doesn't work out just the way they said it would and you are left in Morgan Town, or Miami with no prospects at all. Transferring and losing a year is a lifetime, its a culture shift. And you are on your own. Maybe you wanted that way but this is reality. Playing Division 1 football is hard work. You need as much support as you can get. Coaches, training staff, educational tutors, but the one thing they don't have in South Bend, Los Angeles, Columbus, Norman, or Tuscaloosa is MOM. I don't care if you are 6'8 and 290. Playing for the Home Town Team solves all lot of problems and affords you the opportunity to take your celebrity and degree directly to one of the local Fortune 500 companies.

That being said, come on home Will

Sam Maresh, Ryan Iverson, Royce White, Joel Przybilla, Rick Rickert and Moses Alipate wholeheartedly agree.

I am not a fan of Husker's argument, but I don't think we'd be screwed at all (from a B1G perspective) if all kids adhered to that philosophy...especially compared to recent history.

All of a sudden, Minnesota is better than Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern pretty much every year. Indiana and Purdue are hurt by having to split the talent in Indiana 3 ways with Notre Dame. Northwestern is hurt by having to find kids that meet their academic requirements just in Illinois and then still have to share the states talent with the Illini.

Minnesota/Wisconsin becomes a hotly contested rivalry.

Illinois takes a huge step forward.

Ohio State arguably becomes even more dominant.

Where does Michigan State fall in the standings considering that Michigan likely gets most of the best talent in Michigan?

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State- post sanctions
3. Michigan
4. Illinois
5. Minnesota/Wisconsin
7. Michigan State
8. Purdue
9. Indiana
10. Nebraska
11. Iowa
12. Northwestern

I'd guess that the typical standings would look something like that if every recruit adhered to the "Husker philosophy". From a national standpoint, only Ohio State would have any chance of competing with the Florida/Texas/California based schools.

Edit: Forgot about ISU, and had Iowa 8th originally.

Division 1 football schools in Ohio
Akron
Bowling Green
Cincinnati
Kent State
Miami
Ohio
Ohio St
Toledo
Dayton
Youngstown St

Appears he's at Liberty University according to some of his twitter photos.

I am not a fan of Husker's argument, but I don't think we'd be screwed at all (from a B1G perspective) if all kids adhered to that philosophy...especially compared to recent history.

All of a sudden, Minnesota is better than Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern pretty much every year. Indiana and Purdue are hurt by having to split the talent in Indiana 3 ways with Notre Dame. Northwestern is hurt by having to find kids that meet their academic requirements just in Illinois and then still have to share the states talent with the Illini.

Minnesota/Wisconsin becomes a hotly contested rivalry.

Illinois takes a huge step forward.

Ohio State arguably becomes even more dominant.

Where does Michigan State fall in the standings considering that Michigan likely gets most of the best talent in Michigan?

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State- post sanctions
3. Michigan
4. Illinois
5. Minnesota/Wisconsin
7. Michigan State
8. Purdue
9. Indiana
10. Nebraska
11. Iowa
12. Northwestern

I'd guess that the typical standings would look something like that if every recruit adhered to the "Husker philosophy". From a national standpoint, only Ohio State would have any chance of competing with the Florida/Texas/California based schools.

Edit: Forgot about ISU, and had Iowa 8th originally.

You turned left at the bakery. You should have gone straight ahead. You entirely missed the point of Husker astute post. However you did manage to give it quite a workout!

MAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love that kid. Future All American!

Sam Maresh, Ryan Iverson, Royce White, Joel Przybilla, Rick Rickert and Moses Alipate wholeheartedly agree.

This post doesn't address his post at all.

If you're trying to argue that some kids struggle regardless of whether they stay home or go elsewhere, I agree with you. However, your choice of examples is baffling.

Maresh works.
Edwards would have worked.

It doesn't really work for Moses unless you think he would have been a successful football player elsewhere. He was a good student, stayed out of trouble and all of that. He didn't really hit any roadblocks, he just wasn't a good football player (wherever he would've went).

Royce White was here and elsewhere and a mess everywhere. So I guess you have a point there, sort of.

Ryan Iverson didn't have any issues with MN, he chose to play basketball and wasn't good enough for the U.

Pryz? Awful example. He was a 1st round pick and he's been a 12 yr NBA vet. . .it worked out nicely for him.

We maybe were not good enough for him then. He is not good enough for us now. Let's get some WRs!

I think he got really into the idea of playing in that offense. Unfortunately for him, he isn't built for that style of football. He is either going to be a huge, blocking TE or he would need to switch positions. Halgorson doesn't use players like Will Johnson. It was baffling that Will didn't have someone around him that could point that out to him. I'm sure the West Virginia staff said they were recruiting him as a TE, knowing they would want to switch his positions (as I'm sure our staff kind of knew that Jones would end up at WR). It was a bad fit and a poor choice of schools.

Top Bottom