Former Gophers QB Demry Croft to start for AFL's Minnesota Myth

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Nolan:

A former Gophers quarterback will be coaching a former Gophers quarterback when the Arena Football League’s Minnesota Myth take on the Nashville Kats on Saturday in Nashville.

Myth coach Rickey Foggie, who started at quarterback at the U from 1984-87, told Mike Grimm on the Go Gopher Podcast that Demry Croft, who played for the Gophers from 2015-17 with an extended stint as a starter in 2017, will start Saturday’s game against the Kats.

Croft, meanwhile, started the final six games for the Gophers in 2017 and played in nine overall, throwing for 674 yards and four touchdowns while completing 41.5% of his passes. Croft showed flashes during that season, including setting the Minnesota quarterback rushing record with a 183-yard, three-touchdown performance against Nebraska.

But Croft’s tenure at the U ended in controversy when he was accused of vandalizing an apartment complex on campus. He was indefinitely suspended from the team and later transferred to Tennessee State following the 2017 season.

The controversies didn’t end there. While at Tennessee State, Croft was arrested in Nashville and charged with multiple counts of rape and sexual battery. Those charges were later dropped.

Go Gophers!!

Oh boy. He generated as much animosity as Morgan.

The passing unit that year (year one, I believe) was almost incomprehensibly bad. Not at all on Croft. IIRC did ok after the transfer. In hindsight given what we know now on their respective strengths and weaknesses would you choose Croft or AK. Forgetting any character issues.

While at Tennessee State, Croft was arrested in Nashville and charged with multiple counts of rape and sexual battery. Those charges were later dropped.

I wish I knew the story with that.

He was charged with an insane number of counts. You’d think one would stick but then…. nothing?

Was the prosecutor crazy or something?

The passing unit that year (year one, I believe) was almost incomprehensibly bad. Not at all on Croft. IIRC did ok after the transfer. In hindsight given what we know now on their respective strengths and weaknesses would you choose Croft or AK. Forgetting any character issues.
AK.....Croft was garbage when he played here. He might have been able to out athlete lower competition but he was so bad that we begged a former walkon to come back.

AK.....Croft was garbage when he played here. He might have been able to out athlete lower competition but he was so bad that we begged a former walkon to come back.
Croft is the worst college football QB I've ever seen and it's not even close.

Croft was AK without Daniel Jackson. Both quarterbacks were hot garbage.

The lowest moment in Nebraska football history (and it has a good deal of competition) was losing to Fleck's first Gopher team 54-21 and allowing Croft to go off for 183 rushing yards on only 10 carries and win the B1G offensive player of the week.

That Gopher team got shut out by a total of 70-0 the final two weeks, but for one Saturday afternoon the Huskers made him look like Lamar Jackson.

Nebraska has not made a bowl game since.

I wish I knew the story with that.

He was charged with an insane number of counts. You’d think one would stick but then…. nothing?

Was the prosecutor crazy or something?

According to the internet the domestic battery/girlfriend charges resulted in a not guilty at trial/lack of evidence. The rape charges were dropped by the accuser. Croft’s lawsuit versus Tennesseee State over an alleged lack of due process from their version of EOAA is set for Jan 2025. There is online security video of the “door incident” at the U dorm showing the door falling apart apparently on its own but we didn’t see what happened before or after. Not sure.

Always three sides to every story. That said, he does seem to have a lot of storm clouds following him around. Either he’s guilty or he’s hanging out with the wrong kinds of people…

Croft was AK without Daniel Jackson. Both quarterbacks were hot garbage.

Yeah, I think there’s pretty solid evidence neither can throw consistently throw worth a schit. Some of the off platform throws from AK when he wasn’t even under pressure were just…amazing. Not in a good way.

I think Croft’s legs might tip it to him. But, let’s see if Ciarrocca can pull something out of Athan. Too early to say for sure.

Apparently Croft's history satisfies the AFL. Perhaps they didn't vet him.

Don't have to be a legendary QB by any means to succeed in the AFL, really just have to be able to be half ass accurate and will be fine.

On the other side of this, always enjoyed watching the AFL when it was more relevant, remember especially being an San Jose SaberCat fan just because loved their uniforms haha.

Fleck consistently putting QBs in the pros. Another one for the books. Joking. Hopefully things go well for him.
Hell, maybe Jack Wilson signs up and Johnson can get his first pro.

Fleck consistently putting QBs in the pros. Another one for the books. Joking. Hopefully things go well for him.
Hell, maybe Jack Wilson signs up and Johnson can get his first pro.
He failed miserably in the IFL. This league and this version of indoor football is the lowest level there is. He might be good or this might be the end for him.

And, amazingly, we had a couple of folks claiming PJ was mistreating poor Demry and being totally unfair to him. Some bullshit about making him play hurt and also Croft not falling on a fumble and being pulled while some other QB did the same thing and wasn't pulled. (God, I can wander the yard for a half hour looking for some tool I just put down but random 5 year old posts on GH? Have no trouble remembering.)

And, amazingly, we had a couple of folks claiming PJ was mistreating poor Demry and being totally unfair to him. Some bullshit about making him play hurt and also Croft not falling on a fumble and being pulled while some other QB did the same thing and wasn't pulled. (God, I can wander the yard for a half hour looking for some tool I just put down but random 5 year old posts on GH? Have no trouble remembering.)
There are so many Steve Montana’s just waiting on the bench… if only these darned coaches would give them a chance…

I checked my calendar on this one, nope, it's not April 1st. But I'm still going with the idea that our having an AFL team is just a "Myth".

Minnesota has an Arena Football League?

When did that start?? 🥴
Seems like Lee Hutton is waaaay over his head. Good luck.

JUST FROM THE NEWS TODAY: "Just ahead of the AFL's reboot next week for a 2024 season, the league's Louisiana Voodoo announced the team will be moving its home venue from Lake Charles to Lafayette. The Georgia Force has just two home games scheduled, both the final two weeks of the regular season...."

Last edited:

Seems like Lee Hutton is waaaay over his head. Good luck.

JUST FROM THE NEWS TODAY: "Just ahead of the AFL's reboot next week for a 2024 season, the league's Louisiana Voodoo announced the team will be moving its home venue from Lake Charles to Lafayette. The Georgia Force has just two home games scheduled, both the final two weeks of the regular season...."

The minor league guys are paid various levels of peanuts if they get paid at all…and there is constant tumult, as you’ve pointed out. Amplifies football players have other options to the NCAA leagues or NFL but they aren’t great. The college players and schools need each other…but brand loyalty maybe trumps all.

I checked my calendar on this one, nope, it's not April 1st. But I'm still going with the idea that our having an AFL team is just a "Myth".
MSP is going to be a mega-market Goliath in a league with teams from:

Salina, KS
Dodge City, KS
Rapid City, SD
Billings, MT
Odessa, TX

MSP is going to be a mega-market Goliath in a league with teams from:

Salina, KS
Dodge City, KS
Rapid City, SD
Billings, MT
Odessa, TX
...and probably have the lowest attendance of all of them. With all the sporting options we have available, why would anyone choose this???

Shannon Brooks is doing well in the IFL, which is the tacit "big dog" of indoor football.

Neat. I didn't even know we had an AFL team.

Top Bottom