Former Gophers football lineman Josh Campion sues U over concussion treatment

Vandy

Reaction score
Star Tribune, 8/26/2021

Former Gophers offensive lineman Josh Campion sued the NCAA, the Big Ten and the University of Minnesota on Wednesday in Hennepin County District Court, seeking unspecified damages for the treatment of his concussions suffered while playing at the U from 2011-15.
According to the lawsuit, Campion, 30, suffered post-concussion syndrome and brain damage "as a direct … result of the defendants' negligence and reckless disregard for his health and safety."
The lawsuit alleges that the U compounded his injury risk "by giving him Toradol and other prescribed pain killers during and after games."
"By administering potent pain killers to [Campion] and other student football players on a regular basis, [the U] made [Campion] unable to recognize pain and/or mild concussive events on the field, like 'seeing stars' or 'dings,' " the lawsuit says. "This magnified the likelihood that [Campion] would not self-report a mild concussive event and would not remove himself from the field or seek help."
A University spokesman said the school is aware of the complaint but, as a general practice, doesn't comment on pending or active litigation.
Campion started all 39 games the Gophers played between 2012-14, under former coach Jerry Kill, and was an honorable-mention All-Big Ten offensive tackle in 2014. Campion suffered his fourth college concussion during training camp in 2015 and didn't play again.
Campion and his wife, Ciera, live in his hometown of Fergus Falls, Minn. He recently took a job in human resources at a law firm.

I had just thought of him the other day. Hopefully this leads to players getting their medicals paid for after college

Is this an isolated thing, or a trend? If a trend, I am surprised it is not being discussed more often. If isolated, I have to think any success will open the floodgates across college football for similar suits. And that would turn this into a much bigger story. I doubt the issue at the heart of this (prescribing pain meds) is unheard of in college football.

I don’t understand. Is he suing the team doctor?

Is this an isolated thing, or a trend? If a trend, I am surprised it is not being discussed more often. If isolated, I have to think any success will open the floodgates across college football for similar suits. And that would turn this into a much bigger story. I doubt the issue at the heart of this (prescribing pain meds) is unheard of in college football.
Here is a link to the thread regarding Chris Borland's comments about Toradol injections at Wisconsin

I don’t understand. Is he suing the team doctor?
Josh Campion sued the NCAA, the Big Ten and the University of Minnesota on Wednesday in Hennepin County District Court

Toradol has always seemed like a dangerous drug to give people dealing with potential concussions. I had migraines for years and would often get toradol shots. My migraine symptoms were very similar to post-concussion symptoms. I don't think it's a coincidence that football players are taking shots of a medication that mask symptoms similar to symptoms of a concussion.

Josh Campion sued the NCAA, the Big Ten and the University of Minnesota on Wednesday in Hennepin County District Court
It seems like a pretty frivolous suit on its face.

you’re suing the ncaa and big ten because a doctor who the ncaa and big ten don’t control told you to take something, you took it, and now years later you disagree with the doctor?

Toradol has always seemed like a dangerous drug to give people dealing with potential concussions. I had migraines for years and would often get toradol shots. My migraine symptoms were very similar to post-concussion symptoms. I don't think it's a coincidence that football players are taking shots of a medication that mask symptoms similar to symptoms of a concussion.
Hopefully your migraines are done. They are debilitating.

It seems like a pretty frivolous suit on its face.

you’re suing the ncaa and big ten because a doctor who the ncaa and big ten don’t control told you to take something, you took it, and now years later you disagree with the doctor?
If the doctor, the university, or the Big Ten knew that course of treatment could lead to players getting more concussions because they would be less likely to understand when they got concussions I think they should have shared that information to the players.

If the doctor, the university, or the Big Ten knew that course of treatment could lead to players getting more concussions because they would be less likely to understand when they got concussions I think they should have shared that information to the players.
It would be interesting to know what kinds of consultations were given in terms of the risks involved.

It would be interesting to know what kinds of consultations were given in terms of the risks involved.
That is what it hinges on for me -- as this was the sticking point with the NFL and concussions

I don't like the "undisclosed amount" part. Court is public and is paid for by the public - I should know what's going on in said court. Are the elected judges handing out big settlements or small ones, etc. That should be made public, or take your BS case to a kangaroo court, loser.

Regardless, Josh has been struggling for some time
This story is tough. In the end, where was his coaches? Where were his teammates? Where were his friends? I suppose he didn't want to be known as a quitter, didn't want to be known as a rat. He toughed it out for as long as he could trying to keep all this to himself.

Team doctors should have had a much better handle on this. Wonder how much Kill knew about all this.

How would the big ten know about a conversation between an individual player and a doctor?

Just passionate about my school's football team is all.
You are passionate about your school's football team but you want the players to be able to suffer after playing if they do not act in a manner you deem appropriate? Campion put his health on the line over four solid years for us and was an integral part of the team. In your passionate opinion -- what would have been the best way to try and get his medical bills paid for?

How would the big ten know about a conversation between an individual player and a doctor?
Do you purposely misread what people say or are you just obtuse? How would the big ten know about a conversation between an individual player and a doctor . . . this is a worthless question unrelated to any points made. If the Big Ten knew that the rates of Toradol use could have negative implications and told no one then there is some smoke.

Do you purposely misread what people say or are you just obtuse? How would the big ten know about a conversation between an individual player and a doctor . . . this is a worthless question unrelated to any points made. If the Big Ten knew that the rates of Toradol use could have negative implications and told no one then there is some smoke.
Well no kidding, but good luck proving that in court

I predict we never hear much from this case again either due to a small settlement or a dismissal

Well no kidding, but good luck proving that in court
I mean, the courts have been kind of chomping at these cases for recently.

Retailers are being sued because they sell computer cleaner and people huff it and die. Essentially, the argument by the plaintiffs is "we know you sold it, we know you made a ton of money from it, it doesn't matter that someone else designed it, it doesn't matter that the person injured wasn't using it for its intended purposes, pay up".

I'm not saying he will win, I'm just saying that these types of litigations are really exploding all over the country.

I mean, the courts have been kind of chomping at these cases for recently.

Retailers are being sued because they sell computer cleaner and people huff it and die. Essentially, the argument by the plaintiffs is "we know you sold it, we know you made a ton of money from it, it doesn't matter that someone else designed it, it doesn't matter that the person injured wasn't using it for its intended purposes, pay up".

I'm not saying he will win, I'm just saying that these types of litigations are really exploding all over the country.
Is the big ten conference and the ncaa involved with team doctors at every university?

im not even sure the plaintiff will be able to prove the ncaa checks in on team doctors let alone that they know the team doctors are knowingly putting people in harms way.

Normally I feel for people suffering from concussions, but to sue the U of M right before the start of the season? I hope he has miserable headaches and other symptoms every dang day for the rest of his life. Screw you campion.
I'm the exact opposite opinion of you. This is a person who put on the uniform and gave everything he could to the team and did what he could to make the team successful. I'm hoping he gets better soon and does well in all aspects of his life and hope that the Gopher community supports him.

Is the big ten conference and the ncaa involved with team doctors at every university?

im not even sure the plaintiff will be able to prove the ncaa checks in on team doctors let alone that they know the team doctors are knowingly putting people in harms way.
Oh yeah, they're throwing the kitchen sink at it. I don't see how there is really a cause of action against the NCAA or Big 10.

Again, I'm not saying that I agree with the argument but their argument will be that the Big 10 and the NCAA made an immense amount of money on college football. They also know that coaches use Toradol and they should know that it is likely used to mask migraine symptoms. There was a very public accusation by Chris Borland years ago. If they didn't know, they certainly should have known. Their ignorance seems to conveniently be associated with prolonging an activity that derives them enormous profit.

To use an analogy, in the opioids cases, there isn't a single pharmaceutical manufacturer, distributor, or retailer that wrote a single prescription. Every single one of the people who obtained opioids legally, did it because a doctor wrote a prescription for the product. They were not able to say "hey, we don't check to make sure these prescriptions were valid". The cause of actions were based on the idea that if they weren't checking, they certainly should have been.

Hopefully your migraines are done. They are debilitating.
Got that right. As a migraine sufferer, I feel your pain...figuratively and literally.
I don't wish them on my anyone, even the guy that called me a sheeple today for wearing a mask.

Top Bottom