Former Gophers coach Dan Monson on his tenure: "I did what they hired me to do."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gotta respect Coach Monson. A great guy in a very tough profession.

per Marcus:

Q: When you look back on leaving Gonzaga after the Elite Eight run what did you remember about taking the Gophers job after the scandal?

A: Part of that was that I was very naïve coming in. I had only been a head coach for a couple years. There was a reason so many people turned that job down that were more established. I remember I turned the job down twice. I remember looking at [then-Gophers athletics director] Mark Dienhart and saying, ‘I don’t want to be the guy between Clem Haskins and the next coach here. I didn’t want to be the cleanup guy.’ Ultimately, I think that’s what happened. I went in there with my eyes open. I was compensated very well for going in there and cleaning up.

Q: How did you feel about the job that was done to move the Gophers forward? How difficult was the experience when your tenure ended?

A: I’m very proud that I did what they hired me to do. The job was to come in after the biggest academic situation the NCAA had incurred and change that program into one of respect and one that people could look at and say they’re doing it the right way. But at the end of the day, college athletics and revenue come from success on the court and winning. So, you know years later the cleanup process was over and they moved on. I felt like I left there a better coach than when I came in. I had to endure a lot of circumstances that I would’ve never imagined I was going to in my career. I got married two weeks after taking the job. I felt like I became a good father and a good husband, because I had to rely on my family. It felt like going through those times there was no one to really turn to, because we didn’t know anybody back there. It ended up being very positive for me personally and professionally. I know ultimately for fans and the administration in the end it wasn’t quick enough, but it was done the right way with the foundation that it was able to come back relatively quick from the situation and the penalties that were incurred.

Q: You were able to recruit the only McDonald’s All-Americans and players who have been drafted by the Gophers in the last two decades. Did that help the perception of the program getting Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries to stay home?

A: Absolutely. I’ll always be indebted to Rick and Kris for that matter. Two guys who had a lot of options. One of the innate advantages to the University of Minnesota basketball job is kids deep down grow up as Gophers. There’s no other Division I school in the state. By in large kids grow up following that team and wanting to be a part of it. For Rick who originally committed to Arizona and had everybody in the world. Kris had Duke and Kansas in those opportunities. For those kids to believe in our program, come back and say, ‘It’s ok. This program is back. We can go anywhere in the country, but we chose to stay here and help bring that honor and prestige back to the state of Minnesota.’

Q: Have you seen Athletes Village, the Gophers new facility?

A: I went to the Final Four and [basketball assistant of operations] Caitlin Mahoney gave us a tour of the new facilities there. How proud I am to see what [Gophers AD] Mark Coyle and Richard have done there as far as that. The facilities there are second to none. At the University of Minnesota, they should be very proud of where that program is after 20 years. Because the fact of the matter was, even though I don’t believe it was a [big] factor with us in our success or failure, there was a lot of places in the country that had won the arms race [in facilities]. We didn’t even enter them, because we had other things that were a pressing issue.

Q: What do you think of the fan base who have been through a lot with Gophers basketball?

A: With it being the only Division I school in the state those are the things we focused on in recruiting. That was a huge thing through a tough time that the fan base was truly loyal. Certainly, at the end they wanted a different coach in there, but they didn’t quit being loyal to the program in itself. I always had tremendous respect for that fan base. To think they can get 13,000 and the lowest they’ve been is 9 or 10,000 in the last 30 years … it’s unbelievable with very little marketing and just loyal fans who just love Gophers basketball. As tough as times as they’ve had there, it’s always stayed there. I think that’s something that has really helped it not to be an SMU football situation, one of apathy it could’ve been for a long time for what those people went through and endured.

Go Gophers!!

nice Q&A and puts perspective on hiring decisions by an AD & Coach

At the time, everyone was really excited for the Monson hire, since he was the hot candidate after Gonzaga's unexpected NCAA tourney run that season. Hiring a young coach to put back together the broken pieces may have been the only option, due to the toxic perception of the job. But the U should have realized the enormous amount of support he would need along the way. The fact that Monson turned the job down twice for that very reason should have been a sign to the AD to re-assess the situation. Instead the U threw money at the situation hoping to quickly move on from the scandal. Looking back, Monson did a pretty good job restoring the reputation of the program, but was never going to gain the support necessary for long-term success.

Interesting that with all the obstacles that Monson faced, he was able to put together results nearly identical to the current coach (.527/.393 vs .541/.370). it makes me wonder how well Monson could do today with all the current advantages not available then (B10 TV $$, facilities, salary, recruiting budget, local talent, etc).

It's so strange to me that the sanctions are still brought up. Every article in Minnesota that mentions the '97 Final Four has to mention that it was vacated like it's law or something. That doesn't happen anywhere else and not even in National discussion when the Gophers final four is mentioned (not consistently at least). Monson had 8 years. The sanctions were over by when? It was a two year tournament ban if I remember correctly and then a 2 scholarship reduction for X years? I am pretty sure he got a fairly long leash to get things going and it's a bit disappointing that his quotes make it seem like he never had a chance.

On the other hand, I wonder just how ridiculous the standards were for him? None of our revenue teams performed well under Maturi when he became AD. We have a large portion of our fanbase that still believes that what went on under Clem was somehow unique, like he wasn't competing against programs not just doing the same, but doing much worse. That drives me crazy and I did note that opposing coaches (per Jeff Goodman) said that Minnesota has the toughest (or second toughest) admission standards in the B1G as of a poll taken last year. I wonder how much pressure coaches at the "U" are under to do things a certain way. Al Nolen was academically ineligible at one point under Tubby... I literally have not heard of another program losing a kid to grades, especially not a key starter, in forever. I am not opposed to the idea that much of the struggles of the basketball program post Clem is the administration's fear of getting caught doing what many (not all) do and being the ones punished...again.

nice Q&A and puts perspective on hiring decisions by an AD & Coach

At the time, everyone was really excited for the Monson hire, since he was the hot candidate after Gonzaga's unexpected NCAA tourney run that season. Hiring a young coach to put back together the broken pieces may have been the only option, due to the toxic perception of the job. But the U should have realized the enormous amount of support he would need along the way. The fact that Monson turned the job down twice for that very reason should have been a sign to the AD to re-assess the situation. Instead the U threw money at the situation hoping to quickly move on from the scandal. Looking back, Monson did a pretty good job restoring the reputation of the program, but was never going to gain the support necessary for long-term success.

Interesting that with all the obstacles that Monson faced, he was able to put together results nearly identical to the current coach (.527/.393 vs .541/.370). it makes me wonder how well Monson could do today with all the current advantages not available then (B10 TV $$, facilities, salary, recruiting budget, local talent, etc).

I'm not going to dispute Monson's class but he has not been successful at LBSU either. I wouldn't expect his results to be much different. If anything, he probably had an advantage in that kids still remembered when the Gophers were relevant.

It's so strange to me that the sanctions are still brought up. Every article in Minnesota that mentions the '97 Final Four has to mention that it was vacated like it's law or something. That doesn't happen anywhere else and not even in National discussion when the Gophers final four is mentioned (not consistently at least). Monson had 8 years. The sanctions were over by when? It was a two year tournament ban if I remember correctly and then a 2 scholarship reduction for X years? I am pretty sure he got a fairly long leash to get things going and it's a bit disappointing that his quotes make it seem like he never had a chance.

On the other hand, I wonder just how ridiculous the standards were for him? None of our revenue teams performed well under Maturi when he became AD. We have a large portion of our fanbase that still believes that what went on under Clem was somehow unique, like he wasn't competing against programs not just doing the same, but doing much worse. That drives me crazy and I did note that opposing coaches (per Jeff Goodman) said that Minnesota has the toughest (or second toughest) admission standards in the B1G as of a poll taken last year. I wonder how much pressure coaches at the "U" are under to do things a certain way. Al Nolen was academically ineligible at one point under Tubby... I literally have not heard of another program losing a kid to grades, especially not a key starter, in forever. I am not opposed to the idea that much of the struggles of the basketball program post Clem is the administration's fear of getting caught doing what many (not all) do and being the ones punished...again.

Gophers tournament ban was 1 season, 1999-2000, the year Przybilla quit.

Washington did this season, Quade Green. Huskies fell apart when they lost their PG to grades.

Pesky facts.
#GOTARHEELS!
#excusesareforlosers
#levleplayingfield

I have never, and will never, like the argument you make above. "Many get away with that sort of stuff so it is unfair to bring up the fact that we were caught cheating." Cheating will never be acceptable in any way to me. It is just a slippery slope that I want no part of. This was not bending the rules or skirting the rules. This was flat out cheating.

I have never, and will never, like the argument you make above. "Many get away with that sort of stuff so it is unfair to bring up the fact that we were caught cheating." Cheating will never be acceptable in any way to me. It is just a slippery slope that I want no part of. This was not bending the rules or skirting the rules. This was flat out cheating.
Great post. Programs have proven that you can win huge and play it straight.

You don't like reality. That is OK. Just recognize it AS reality.

Thanks for sharing this interview.
I had a colleague defending their thesis the weekend that the sht hit the fan and the reverberation through the entire University was a tsunami. What apparently the U cares about and the Tar Heels apparently do not is their academic reputation. I guess the lesson we learned there is that if all the students in the institutionhave access to cheating there's no consequence for the program. (Guess Ganglhoff should have been writing papers for all comers in and out of the program.)

The actions taken by the U were primarily focused on concerns around their academic reputation, not compliance with the NCAA (althought that if course was required). I found the year that Humphries played to be the worst year I have ever endured but I can see his point. I would say Monson did what he was hired to do, that enough mourning and gnashing of teeth has happened, and we are now free to have a great program.

UCLA under the great
John Wooden cheated, and more than a little. I am sure Built & the truth guy are ok with the pyramid of payoffs

UCLA under the great
John Wooden cheated, and more than a little. I am sure Built & the truth guy are ok with the pyramid of payoffs
UVA, NOVA,UW . Two of those were mediocre like us, hired the right coaches and became elite.

So

So, do you agree BB
that Wooden was in charge of a crooked program?
Never mentioned UCLA. Mentioned programs that did not cheat and won huge by hiring the right people. Struggling programs that had elite AD's hiring off the charts coaches.

Never mentioned UCLA. Mentioned programs that did not cheat and won huge by hiring the right people. Struggling programs that had elite AD's hiring off the charts coaches.
Avoidance at all costs. “Never said”.

I'm not going to dispute Monson's class but he has not been successful at LBSU either. I wouldn't expect his results to be much different. If anything, he probably had an advantage in that kids still remembered when the Gophers were relevant.

It depends on your definition of success. He won the conference (regular season) three years in a row. He has finished fifth the past two years, so he hit a skid. But before that (after finishing 8th in his first season), he never finished lower than fourth. He's had three first-place finishes, a second and two thirds.

I would call it successful, but that's just me.

Top Bottom