Former Gopher Marcus Sherels re-signs with Vikings for two years

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

The former Gophers standout, who signed as an undrafted free agent in 2010, played in 49 games for the Vikings over four seasons, starting seven at cornerback.

"It means a lot to me," Sherels said. "This is a place I wanted to be. This is a team that gave me a shot in the first place. I feel a sense of loyalty here, and I love being here. And love playing for coach Prief and all my teammates. I think we can build something special here."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/249043211.html

Go Gophers!!

Big year for the Sherels boys. Awesome news, great punt returner.

The Sherels family should be very proud!

Marcus sure has made the most of his talent. He is a very good punt returner and can fill in at CB in a pinch. His NFL career is already longer than many with his same ability. Good for him and I hope he continues to succeed at the highest level.

Marcus has to give hope to all of the players that don't get invited to the NFL combine. If you can find a niche, it's all about timing. I hope Marcus makes a ton of dough in the NFL. If not, I suspect he'll do fine in the workaday world.

Marcus sure has made the most of his talent. He is a very good punt returner and can fill in at CB in a pinch. His NFL career is already longer than many with his same ability. Good for him and I hope he continues to succeed at the highest level.

Agreed! Well said!!

Pumped for Sherels, I hope he got a contract above the minimum for a player of his service time. Hopefully, Simoni Lawrence can make the team out of camp and we can have more Gophers than Hawkeyes on the Purple next season.

I personally like to see Brock if he is available in the latter rounds to stay local to fill up the holes in the Vi-Queens purple Swiss cheese.

I personally like to see Brock if he is available in the latter rounds to stay local to fill up the holes in the Vi-Queens purple Swiss cheese.

i think i saw somewhere that it would be surprising of the Vikings didn't draft him.

I remember watching Marcus in a difficult practice drill when he was a wide receiver under coach Mason. The receivers would run out about 15 feet and then make a 90 degree turn and they would have to catch the ball which had been fired from a Jugs machine by an assistant coach to hit them right as they came out of the turn. The receivers were catching about half of the balls except for Marcus who caught them all. I remember thinking what a shame it was that Marcus would never see the field because he was too short. Then he was switched to corner back and wow! what a difference!

I remember him covering a receiver, the receiver making the catch and then Marcus reaching over and taking the ball away from the receiver. That happened at least twice during his Jr. year. I even think he did it once with the Vikes. I had never seen that before nor have I seen it since.

At that time the Vikes were offering tryouts to players who might have been under the radar. Marcus didn't even get invited to those tryouts but someone, I don't know who - perhaps Mason, went to bat for him, talked the Vikes into giving him a tryout and the rest is history. Marcus deserves everything he gets.

I remember watching Marcus in a difficult practice drill when he was a wide receiver under coach Mason. The receivers would run out about 15 feet and then make a 90 degree turn and they would have to catch the ball which had been fired from a Jugs machine by an assistant coach to hit them right as they came out of the turn. The receivers were catching about half of the balls except for Marcus who caught them all. I remember thinking what a shame it was that Marcus would never see the field because he was too short. Then he was switched to corner back and wow! what a difference!

I remember him covering a receiver, the receiver making the catch and then Marcus reaching over and taking the ball away from the receiver. That happened at least twice during his Jr. year. I even think he did it once with the Vikes. I had never seen that before nor have I seen it since.

At that time the Vikes were offering tryouts to players who might have been under the radar. Marcus didn't even get invited to those tryouts but someone, I don't know who - perhaps Mason, went to bat for him, talked the Vikes into giving him a tryout and the rest is history. Marcus deserves everything he gets.

Very likely Coach Brewster, since Marcus thrived as a CB during his tenure. Don't believe he saw the field as a CB under Mason.

Top Bottom