Former Gopher Jim Petersen on his quadruple heart bypass surgery: “Surgery was a big success. I’m doing well and going home on Monday"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Wishing the best for all-time good guy Jim Petersen, 58, the Timberwolves’ TV analyst, who is recovering from quadruple heart bypass surgery at Mayo Clinic.

“Surgery was a big success. I’m doing well and going home on Monday,” Petersen said Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

Wow! That is pretty shocking. He seems too healthy to experience that. Wishing a speedy recovery to Jim.

Best of luck to Jim. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Wow! I didn't know that. Hoping for the best for the big Dane!

Best wishes for a full and quick recovery!

OK, that is scary! How does JIm P, a thin, active healthy guy with access to the best clinics get clogged arteries to the point he needs an invasive bypass procedure?

Maybe he is just like me and assumes he needs no evaluation because he is fit and feels great!

In theory, Jim would have been a candidate for stents, blood thinners, and a great deal of prevention, but an invasive bypass at age 58???? wow

I am scared for myself now, no kidding.

per Shooter:

Good news: Jim Petersen is back as Timberwolves TV analyst. Petersen, 58, underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery on Sept. 2 at Mayo Clinic.

“I’m ready to go,” he said. “When we do our first regular season game on Dec. 23 (against Detroit), it’ll have been 277 days since our last broadcast. That’s a long time to be out of commission.”

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Good news: Jim Petersen is back as Timberwolves TV analyst. Petersen, 58, underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery on Sept. 2 at Mayo Clinic.

“I’m ready to go,” he said. “When we do our first regular season game on Dec. 23 (against Detroit), it’ll have been 277 days since our last broadcast. That’s a long time to be out of commission.”

Go Gophers!!
That is good news! Clicked on the thread bump with too much apprehension 🙏

OK, that is scary! How does JIm P, a thin, active healthy guy with access to the best clinics get clogged arteries to the point he needs an invasive bypass procedure?

Maybe he is just like me and assumes he needs no evaluation because he is fit and feels great!

In theory, Jim would have been a candidate for stents, blood thinners, and a great deal of prevention, but an invasive bypass at age 58???? wow

I am scared for myself now, no kidding.

It's a good lesson on the importance of going to the doctor regularly especially 45+, even if you're feeling good.

Yes, you are correct Bob L. I have had my blood pressure, blood screenings, cholesterol, and a few basic things checked out, but not a complete physical in years, if ever. To make it worse, I have spent many hours sitting around in the Mayo/ Gonda building waiting rooms, and never thought too much about setting anything up for me, other than getting my likely slightly torn meniscus checked out.

The inactivity and isolation of the COVID era, now that the weather is getting cold, is starting to impact how I physically feel for sure, the worse I can recall as an adult. There probably is a mental aspect to this as well. When a person goes from burning thousands of calories a day to sitting in front of a computer for "work", then moving a few feet to the couch for hours, then 9 hours of sleep, repeat.... is not a good cycle for me at least.

Any one of us could drop dead regardless of how great we might feel, it has happened to at least one seemingly healthy person I knew. The Peterson case is still somewhat surprising to me.

Top Bottom