Former Gopher Brock Vereen Retires At Age 23

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS Boston:

Another professional football player is retiring young.

Brock Vereen, who was in Patriots training camp this summer for his third NFL season, retired on Monday.

Vereen, who retired two days shy of his 24th birthday, is the brother of former Patriots running back Shane Vereen.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/15/patriots-brock-vereen-retires-at-age-23/

Go Gophers!!

Now at 16 gophers in the NFL after this and Spaeth is likely retired. Also Botticelli was removed from the Chargers website so I removed him. Here they all are:

Briean Boddy-Calhoun CB Undrafted in 2016 Jacksonville Jaguars

De'Vondre Campbell LB 2016 Atlanta Falcons

David Cobb RB 2015 Tennessee Titans

Theiren Cockran DE Undrafted in 2016 Minnesota Vikings

Eric Decker WR 2010 New York Jets

Isaac Fruechte WR Undrafted in 2015 Minnesota Vikings

MarQueis Gray TE Undrafted in 2013 Miami Dolphins

Ra'Shede Hageman DT 2014 Atlanta Falcons

K.J. Maye WR Undrafted in 2016 New York Giants

Peter Mortell P Undrafted in 2016 Green Bay Packers

Eric Murray CB 2016 Kansas City Chiefs

Marcus Sherels CB Undrafted in 2010 Minnesota Vikings

Troy Stoudermire WR Undrafted in 2013 Minnesota Vikings

Cedric Thompson S 2015 New England Patriots

Maxx Williams TE 2015 Baltimore Ravens

Damien Wilson LB 2015 Dallas Cowboys

Also think it is interesting that Marcus Sherels is now the Gopher with the longest NFL tenure. He has had a nice career so far. Entering his 7th season.

I'm guessing that "one-and-done" -- meaning one contract and that's it, will become pretty common in the NFL. The toll that a body gets playing in the NFL is huge. Get a contract that pays you say $3M and as long as you're somewhat smart about it, retire and you're financially set for life. Even with just a 5% return on your money you're making $150K per year in income.

I'm guessing that "one-and-done" -- meaning one contract and that's it, will become pretty common in the NFL. The toll that a body gets playing in the NFL is huge. Get a contract that pays you say $3M and as long as you're somewhat smart about it, retire and you're financially set for life. Even with just a 5% return on your money you're making $150K per year in income.

I had a friend that had a tryout after college. He used to say NFL stands for "Not For Long". There are 90 players on each NFL roster right now and most will be gone in a month.

Would that were true. Take 10% of the top for an agent. Then consdering the top Federal tax bracket is 39.6%, the Minnesota take is 9.85%, he would take home approximately $445K annually. If he were extremely conservative in his spending he would net $400K a year. Over 3 years he may have $1.2M still in the bank.

5% ($60,000) is a relatively aggressive withdrawal rate if you want your money to last for 30 years, let alone the rest of his life, given market fluctuations. 3% or $36,000 is more realistic.

Bottom line...get a degree and plan to use it.

Would that were true. Take 10% of the top for an agent. Then consdering the top Federal tax bracket is 39.6%, the Minnesota take is 9.85%, he would take home approximately $445K annually. If he were extremely conservative in his spending he would net $400K a year. Over 3 years he may have $1.2M still in the bank.

5% ($60,000) is a relatively aggressive withdrawal rate if you want your money to last for 30 years, let alone the rest of his life, given market fluctuations. 3% or $36,000 is more realistic.

Agent fees are more commonly 4% or so, but yea.

Brock is a smart, well-spoken guy. I am sure he will do just fine in his life after football.

Brock is a smart, well-spoken guy. I am sure he will do just fine in his life after football.

Yes, he is smart as are his parents. The Vereen family is a class act and the U was fortunate to have Brock represent it.

Brock was removed from the retired list and released by the Patriots.

I'd bet it's more that he just didn't want to be a journeyman in the NFL and a frigne roster player that could get cut at any time than anything health related.

My thought as well. If you're going to risk your health, there needs to be a big payday looming and Vereen did the cost/benefit and figured it wasn't worth it.

Well...the two of you are talking at cross purposes. 45North is assuming that is you have $X it would earn X% and you take that to live on. His/her example was 5% gain on $3MM. That is flawed for many reasons; for example, consider the possibility of another 2008. People living a certain lifestyle on $150,000/year simple can't live that same lifestyle at $100,000/year. And they won't. They'll take more from their accounts assuming that good markets in the future will make up for it. (Spoiler alert: They won't)

And you are correct that a 5% withdrawal rate is aggressive, when we're talking actual withdrawal rates. Actuarial models show that a 5% withdrawal rate would last ~24 years before you exhaust your money. 6% would last 17 years, etc.

Here's what those models are really trying to illustrate, and I'll use the widely cited "Fidelity Insights" study.

In that example, they go back to 1972, and "retire" with a balanced portfolio (50% S&P 500, 40% Agg Bond, 10% T-Bills) of $500,000. So now we set a budget and some rules. We will withdraw an annual rate of 10%, 9%, etc. to see how long our money will last using the actual market returns of that portfolio. Very important rule: each year we will also impute the actual rate of inflation experienced during the study and increase the amount withdrawn. When you decide how much to withdraw, you are setting your budget for the rest of your life. If you lived a certain lifestyle by withdrawing X% the first year, the next year it will cost the same dollar amount PLUS the rate of inflation. If we tried to withdraw 10% + inflation, our money would have lasted 9 years. 9% almost 10 years. 8% adds another year. 7% adds 2 years on top of that. 6% gets us out to 17 years, and 5% runs out at 24 years. 4%, or $20,000 the first year? We'd still be fine.

The illustration in the link I provided stops the study at 35 years, and appears to end just before the Great Recession started. They have an updated version that I can't find an image online that runs it out until 2015, and we would have survived the Great Recession, be roughly 109 years old, and paying ourselves an inflation adjusted $112,000 (give or take some tip money).

After the Great Recession, some people prefer to model it using 3% withdrawal, but this study starts a time where we had a prolonged flat to down market (S&P on 1/1/1972 - 103.30, 1/1/1980 - 110.90) and high inflation (1972-3.2% lowest, 1980-13.5% highest with a couple of other double digit years), so I still feel comfortable with 4%

QED

So he doesn't want to play for the Pats, so he "retires" so he can go to another team, then they say look we'll just release you and so he un-retires and then they cut him?

NFL minimum is $450k and roughly goes up $75-100k per year. You have to be a near superstar to make $3M.

NFL minimum is $450k and roughly goes up $75-100k per year. You have to be a near superstar to make $3M.

Not necessarily. Andrew Sendejo is making $4million this year. I think captain munnerlyn is similar. Not superstars, but long tenure.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not necessarily. Andrew Sendejo is making $4million this year. I think captain munnerlyn is similar. Not superstars, but long tenure.

Here's a chart showing the dollar amount on the contracts signed by 2015 draft picks. They've got to play to get paid, but if you can make it for a few years then the dollars are there.

"... Once a player falls past the third round, most draft picks will sign a 4-year deal in the $2.3-2.4 million range."

Here's a chart showing the dollar amount on the contracts signed by 2015 draft picks. They've got to play to get paid, but if you can make it for a few years then the dollars are there.

"... Once a player falls past the third round, most draft picks will sign a 4-year deal in the $2.3-2.4 million range."

I could get by on $2 million.

Reading around at different sites it sounds like he might have seen the writing on the wall that he would be buried on the depth chart/practice squad in New England and wanted out.

He signed with Kansas City Chiefs. Don't know if he played last night or not. Kansas City Star website has a firewall.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...ck-vereen-claimed-off-waivers-by-kansas-city/

In a bizarre series of events, Vereen initially retired from the NFL on Monday while he was a Patriot. Then, on Tuesday, he was reinstated from New England's reserve/retirement list only to be released from the team shortly thereafter, and was subsequently thrown into the league's waiver system. Now, on Wednesday, Vereen is officially a member of the Chiefs as Kansas City had been awarded the defensive back from said waiver system, although it's unknown how many teams actually placed a claim for him. He isn't a lock to crack the Chiefs' active roster, but if he can impress in limited action, Vereen could slide in as a depth option in the Chiefs' talented secondary sans Sean Smith.

Top Bottom