Former DeLaSalle star Alan Anderson one of 18 former NBA players charged with fraud by Federal Grand Jury

According to the court documents, several of the fake invoices and medical necessity forms stood out because, “they are not on letterhead, they contain unusual formatting, they have grammatical errors” and were sent on the same dates from different offices.
So they got caught because they are morons who did fraud.

Sometimes I wonder how much Medicare/insurance fraud never gets caught. I bet it's absolutely massive.

Sometimes I wonder how much Medicare/insurance fraud never gets caught. I bet it's absolutely massive.
Ask the junior senator of Florida.

It is ABSOLUTELY massive. I've had a few insurance recovery cases and the numbers are mindboggling.

For most of them, they know eventually they'll get flagged but it's worth it for the 2-3 months of cashing in on astronomical amounts of money.

I'm kind of shocked that a business venture including a convicted rapist would not be on the up and up.

I'm kind of shocked that a business venture including a convicted rapist would not be on the up and up.
They were pretty easy to spot too. $8k for chiropractic. $4 million cumulative. Come on. This is gonna caught by routine control procedures.

The whole scenario begs the question of why in the world people who at some point made more money than many of us in a lifetime of work felt the need to bilk their plan, and by extension, their fellow players, out of piles of money. Has the NBA or its Players Association commented on this yet?

They were pretty easy to spot too. $8k for chiropractic. $4 million cumulative. Come on. This is gonna caught by routine control procedures.
Honestly, you'd be shocked at what slips through (thousands for routine medical procedures).

This is a chiropractic scheme that has been tried before. When greed is your guiding light getting csught is just a matter of time.

It is ABSOLUTELY massive. I've had a few insurance recovery cases and the numbers are mindboggling.

For most of them, they know eventually they'll get flagged but it's worth it for the 2-3 months of cashing in on astronomical amounts of money.
Yeah my wife is a doctor. From what she has said 98% of surgeons in her field are doing it the right way, but a small take advantage of the rules and abuse the system and reap massive financial rewards while doing so. I'm not surprised.

The whole scenario begs the question of why in the world people who at some point made more money than many of us in a lifetime of work felt the need to bilk their plan, and by extension, their fellow players, out of piles of money. Has the NBA or its Players Association commented on this yet?
Watch ESPN's 30 for 30 episode "Broke" and it will answer your question.

Fair enough. A lot of athletes were irresponsible financially, were given bad advice, and were taken advantage of by people who they should have been able to trust. I don't know enough of the details of the NBA insurance fraud to know if any of the participants had these issues or not. Still hard to believe guys with that kind of wealth would stoop to fraud against their own.

Top Bottom