Former Coach Reeves Hired by Hill Murray

Wasn't Bercich there?

the badger qb was there - kfan had him on weekly to push the anti brewster narrative.

Do you think he took a pay cut? EMU isn't a Power 5 but you wonder if a TE coach for a MAC school pays the same as a catholic high school? Either way I imagine commuting from Ypsilanti to MN took a big chunk of his pay.

Actual question: has Hill-Murray ever done much in football? I know they're a historic boys hockey powerhouse.

I think they played for a long time in that conference with Mahtomedi, South St Paul, St Thomas Military (?), and so on. And I think the district now is similar-ish to that?

So some tough sledding there.

Do you think he took a pay cut? EMU isn't a Power 5 but you wonder if a TE coach for a MAC school pays the same as a catholic high school? Either way I imagine commuting from Ypsilanti to MN took a big chunk of his pay.
Typically, for teaching, private schools pay horribly!!!! A metro school public Head Coach makes 5000-6800 for coaching football (it's a range depending on district). I'd be surprised if Private schools paid much of for coaching only.

Typically, for teaching, private schools pay horribly!!!! A metro school public Head Coach makes 5000-6800 for coaching football (it's a range depending on district). I'd be surprised if Private schools paid much of for coaching only.

Just a guess, but usually the real benefit for a private school coach is a discounted tuition for family members.

Private schools will also find a job for them too. Like Bercich was Director of Development. Dave Throson for DeLaSalle Basketball was head of fundraising. Also those salaries also get "upped" by booster club donations in many places too.

Just a guess, but usually the real benefit for a private school coach is a discounted tuition for family members.

That's a perk especially since Doogie said he kids really like hockey.

Isn't that because, usually the main pay comes from some other function at the school, like being a teacher? So coaching is just supplemental income?

Actual question: has Hill-Murray ever done much in football? I know they're a historic boys hockey powerhouse.

I think they played for a long time in that conference with Mahtomedi, South St Paul, St Thomas Military (?), and so on. And I think the district now is similar-ish to that?

So some tough sledding there.
hill Murray has been up and down. They have had some good years sprinkled in with bad. With STA, Tartan, south St. Paul and Hastings in that conference it will be tough sledding. Success will depend on getting kids there. If he can pull students that otherwise would end up at tartan, Roseville or north St. Paul he has a chance.

hill Murray has been up and down. They have had some good years sprinkled in with bad. With STA, Tartan, south St. Paul and Hastings in that conference it will be tough sledding. Success will depend on getting kids there. If he can pull students that otherwise would end up at tartan, Roseville or north St. Paul he has a chance.
They can recruit from around the metro, like Cretin, STA, Totino, and others, right?

Hard for me to take him seriously on radio when you look at what happened to the teams that he prepared

I don't think he had any idea how knowledgeable and hard-working high school coaches are. You cannot succeed in HS if you are not putting in many hours on the weekend. I'm sure he was doing something, but his Viking duties were for sure making him fall behind others!

In the “way back” years of the old Central Catholic Conference (when I was in HS), Hill Murray played against STA, Cretin, De La Salle, Benilde, Rochester Lourdes, Austin Pacelli, etc. HM fielded good, competitive football teams ... but rarely was able to get past both STA and Cretin in the same season.

Mostly unrelated comment: I think the private schools should have their own state championships.

I don't think he had any idea how knowledgeable and hard-working high school coaches are. You cannot succeed in HS if you are not putting in many hours on the weekend. I'm sure he was doing something, but his Viking duties were for sure making him fall behind others!
Definitely.
When he was in San Diego on a Sunday and his team had a game the Friday before and a Friday after...unless he was completely neglecting preparation for his Vikings job, he wouldn’t have enough time to give his Hs job justice.

HillMurray likely has reasons behind it, but their last number of hires they seem to be hiring resume rather than looking for a good HS football coach. New guy might be great, but when is the last time he coached HS football? It’s almost a completely different sport.

The pull of the family is too great to ignore.

Probably.

HillMurray likely has reasons behind it, but their last number of hires they seem to be hiring resume rather than looking for a good HS football coach. New guy might be great, but when is the last time he coached HS football? It’s almost a completely different sport.
This may be true but I bet that he has an address book full of successful High School coaches to mentor him.

I'd bet on it. He made 93k base last year at EMU.

Every year USA Today does this for head coach and assistant salaries: (cool to see)
Assistant Coach Salaries D1
Head Coach D1 Salaries

Last edited:

He for sure took a pay cut. I am a teacher and occasional coach at private schools.

1. The pay range really depends on the kind of school and the market. The high-end private schools usually pay similar to sometimes above public schools. I taught at a school in Los Angeles that compensated ~10% more than local public schools. I also taught at a religious school and my wife at a parochial school and those each paid less than public. I taught at another private school that was pretty much even with public schools. We have moved around a lot for my wife's career so I've had a lot of experience in different settings.

2. I was an assistant or middle school coach, and depending on your duties pay was between 1.5K-5K stipend on top of teaching salary. I have not coached at the HS level, but I know they were not paid a lot extra. Think like a 10K-15K stipend on top of your teacher salary. Not enough to take it as your only job unless you were set financially. Most people coaching at these levels are not doing it for the financial compensation alone. I'm sure there are some exceptions where they have a way of paying someone with boosters or classify them as a teacher without any classroom duties, but those kinds of things are the exception, not the rule.

He for sure took a pay cut. I am a teacher and occasional coach at private schools.

1. The pay range really depends on the kind of school and the market. The high-end private schools usually pay similar to sometimes above public schools. I taught at a school in Los Angeles that compensated ~10% more than local public schools. I also taught at a religious school and my wife at a parochial school and those each paid less than public. I taught at another private school that was pretty much even with public schools. We have moved around a lot for my wife's career so I've had a lot of experience in different settings.

2. I was an assistant or middle school coach, and depending on your duties pay was between 1.5K-5K stipend on top of teaching salary. I have not coached at the HS level, but I know they were not paid a lot extra. Think like a 10K-15K stipend on top of your teacher salary. Not enough to take it as your only job unless you were set financially. Most people coaching at these levels are not doing it for the financial compensation alone. I'm sure there are some exceptions where they have a way of paying someone with boosters or classify them as a teacher without any classroom duties, but those kinds of things are the exception, not the rule.
These are the coaching stipends in my school district in Iowa.

Screenshot_20200429-171644_Drive.jpg

Top Bottom