Former Coach Glen Mason predicts gopher victory

LakerFan

Reaction score
His lips to God's ears. Thinks ohio state can't help but overlook the gophers. He said it as part of his contribution on kfan with barriero.

The Gophers can win, the national media expects us to just roll over and kiss the ring of the Buckeyes. This is a good Gophers football team, I am with coach Mason, I think the Gophers have a real chance to win this football game. ROW! SKI U MAH, let's do this.

Whoever their d line has will get steamrolled. Pancakes all around.

Our boys has to believe in it!

A lot will ride on how well Tanner plays

endgame-avengers.gif

Vegas odds, computer models, etc give the Gophers somewhere between 15-20% to win. That's really not bad. Miami's #14 and a bigger underdog to Alabama on Saturday.
most likely score from the sim I use Ohio 31 Gophers 26
with a win probability of 39% for the Gophers

I didn't realized that Mason was booted by BTN. Seems like they are trying to get rid of the higher salary guys if that was the case here.

His lips to God's ears. Thinks ohio state can't help but overlook the gophers. He said it as part of his contribution on kfan with barriero.
Mase is a sarcastic SOB, was he honestly predicting a Gopher victory or was it more tongue in cheek (didn't hear the interview so honestly curious).

I do believe Grinnin' Glen was the last Gophers HC to beat tOSU...

Definitely some bragging rights there from Lake Minnetonka...

Not worth a statue but still a big stat...

I didn't realized that Mason was booted by BTN. Seems like they are trying to get rid of the higher salary guys if that was the case here.
I didn’t realize that either, but that’s a shame. I’m also going to miss Urban Meyer’s segments on BTN. They were always interesting and informative.

A lot of this game is dependent on if Straud is better or worse than Tim tebows replacement at Florida

Ryan day has never had to anything other than play no brainer fields without Urban’s help: we find out if he is as good as urban this year

9 out of 10 times we may lose, but not tonight. This night is our time. 🙏
I have been saying all spring/summer listening to PJ I think we got a good shot.
Herb’s quote is pretty fitting.

I have been saying all spring/summer listening to PJ I think we got a good shot.
Herb’s quote is pretty fitting.
Fleck definitely thinks he has something special with the squad. You can hear it in the way he talks about this team.

Special enough to beat Ohio State? We will find out in a few days. They don't lose often but it does happen. Why not us....why not now....dream big.

I didn’t realize Mason was booted from BTN either. I always liked him on there. Better than Dinardo. Certainly better than a lot of the young guys they have on there now. Always thought of him as one of the faces of BTN.

I go back and forth in terms of the Gophers having a shot to win in this game. I can talk myself into anything between a blow out loss to a gritty win. I do see National folks consistently write off the Gophers though, and generally assume the defense will be as bad as it was the first three games of 2020.

Glen's prediction seemed sincere, but he also added he thinks it will happen on a wild play. (I took that to kind of mean "fluke" or "odd", but any win is a win, and if you're within distance of one big play changing the game, you deserve the associated luck that comes with it).

Glen was very good on BTN. Most of the people they have on BTN don't carry the personality he does.

He's always been great on Barreiro. Probably my favorite KFAN segment. Now that he's not on BTN he can be a little more direct on calling out teams in the Big Ten without hurting anyone's feelings since he doesn't represent the BTN anymore.

I didn’t realize Mason was booted from BTN either. I always liked him on there. Better than Dinardo. Certainly better than a lot of the young guys they have on there now. Always thought of him as one of the faces of BTN.

I go back and forth in terms of the Gophers having a shot to win in this game. I can talk myself into anything between a blow out loss to a gritty win. I do see National folks consistently write off the Gophers though, and generally assume the defense will be as bad as it was the first three games of 2020.
This is a loss for BTN, since he added great insights that even guys like Dinardo and Chuck Long lacked, and certainly the players 5-10 years removed know nothing about.

I hope KFAN pays him and uses him on air more.

Mason has also been booted by BTN as noted by Barreiro.

I do think BTN does a good job, but they have been bringing in a lot of young former players to fill various smaller roles, that probably cost less than they were paying Mason. Glen was always pretty good on BTN, but once they moved him out of the studio with Dinardo and Howard Griffith I figured his days were numbered.

Glen was probably better than Gerry Dinardo, but never seemed to get the push. He still sounds great on the radio, but is starting to look a little aged, which makes me question if he should hire a top shelf employment lawyer.

I get the youth trend, but I much more enjoy the coaches. Most of the young players have limited insight on tactics and strategy compared to the coaches. For example, my favorite BTN spots are probably the Urban Meyer chalk talk type sessions.

Would love for Mase to be asked to join the DT and Grimm from time to time on the radio or for a local station to get him on their Gopher coverage. He's a good listen.

Would love for Mase to be asked to join the DT and Grimm from time to time on the radio or for a local station to get him on their Gopher coverage. He's a good listen.
Yes, Mason is good on the Radio and I think if he starts being more blunt and less tacit he might be even better, a concept promoted by Dan B yesterday on KFAN, now that he is not a BTN analyst.

I do believe Grinnin' Glen was the last Gophers HC to beat tOSU...

Definitely some bragging rights there from Lake Minnetonka...

Not worth a statue but still a big stat...
Not only beat OSU, but beat ever Big Ten team at least once. That's still a high bar...

On Mondays Barrio?
I have to listen Mace in your face is maybe my favorite segment on KFAN

Mason has also been booted by BTN as noted by Barreiro.

I do think BTN does a good job, but they have been bringing in a lot of young former players to fill various smaller roles, that probably cost less than they were paying Mason. Glen was always pretty good on BTN, but once they moved him out of the studio with Dinardo and Howard Griffith I figured his days were numbered.

Glen was probably better than Gerry Dinardo, but never seemed to get the push. He still sounds great on the radio, but is starting to look a little aged, which makes me question if he should hire a top shelf employment lawyer.

Glen is 71. He's head coached over 20 seasons worth of D1 football games. He's been on TV in a lead analyst role for Big Ten football for another 15 years or so.

Broadcasting (and coaching) is a field with precious few jobs and where traditionalists want to hang onto the same guys until they croak.

Glen's well past a normal retirement age. Why not give someone else a turn to talk?

Top Bottom