Former Buckeye Player Admits To Selling Rings For Cash

The first time I rob a liquor store after a tornado, I will simply say..."I didn't do anything wrong, everyone is doing it."

The NCAA does not have any hair on their balls if they don't crash the Tosu FB program and Jim Tressel in particular.

Selling something you own, how terrible!

Yeah, I don't see why that's a big deal, that certainly shouldn't be in the article's headline. I'm sure there are rules against it, but there's probably rules against letting a young lady you've spent some time with walk out of your apartment with one of your t-shirts and I'm assuming that happens more than once in a while. Getting discounts on cars based on your status as a football player, that's a different kettle of fish.

Is boning skanky jersey chasers also a violation? By definition, jersey chaser boning is a privilege not afforded to the general student body.

no...

Is boning skanky jersey chasers also a violation? By definition, jersey chaser boning is a privilege not afforded to the general student body.

selling your soul for bad sex with diseased people, is a "right" we all have.

It clearly sounds like a lack of institutional control. All of these "little" things add up to a major disregard for the rules. If it is this easy to find players says that everyone is doing it than the coaches did not even try to control the players or local supporters. Saying I told them not to do it is not an defense if it is that easy to see that everyone is doing it.

It clearly sounds like a lack of institutional control. All of these "little" things add up to a major disregard for the rules. If it is this easy to find players says that everyone is doing it than the coaches did not even try to control the players or local supporters. Saying I told them not to do it is not an defense if it is that easy to see that everyone is doing it.

SPOT ON!

Beyond Maurice Clarrett, there are no HUGE rules being broken, but as noted there are way too many little ones to demonstrate any control. The problem is not just within the players selling it, it is that there is a very active market to buy them (at much higher values than their worth). The fact that there is a ready market to sell is where the broader scope of the 'institutional control' is not being handeled appropiately.

I think the NCAA is well out of compliance with thier own "institutional control"

I watch way too much TV, but I was watching Pawn Stars a couple of weeks ago and some guy brought in a pair of those gold pants pins that the OSU players get when they beat Michigan. I don't remember how much it was worth, but I think it was that the trinket went for around a $1000. And they weren't old, either. Like within the past 5 years or so. If I'm a college kid and I can get a hundreds of dollars for a little trinket, sold.

There was also the part about getting deals on cars.

While I don't think selling a ring you own is a big deal, clearly there are things going on at OSU that make it so the playing field is not level with the rest of the Big Ten.

Yes, seeing the NCAA banhammer come down on tO$U would provide some satisfaction for all conference members. However, assuming a USC-like reduction in scholarships, the (temporary) demise of Ohio State clearly benefits two teams: Wisconsin and Michigan. Both teams recruit heavily in OH and both stand to benefit from a weakened Ohio State--especially, Michigan. In addition to that, Wisconsin's road to the Big Ten Championship would become a heckuva lot easier. With the Leaders division already more top heavy than its counterpart, Wisconsin could make a run to the Rose Bowl with only a single victory of significance, not counting the B10 Championship.

While it will add more parity, a weak OSU would simultaneously bolster the strength of a divisional power and remove the primary obstacle for our biggest rival. Major sanctions could be a net loss for us.

I watch way too much TV, but I was watching Pawn Stars a couple of weeks ago and some guy brought in a pair of those gold pants pins that the OSU players get when they beat Michigan. I don't remember how much it was worth, but I think it was that the trinket went for around a $1000. And they weren't old, either. Like within the past 5 years or so. If I'm a college kid and I can get a hundreds of dollars for a little trinket, sold.

Now imagine if that same kid is still in school and some booster offers to buy it for $15,000. That's the issue. If they relax on rules like that, the schools will just keep offering athletes more and more gear, and more and more boosters will find them and offer them extraordinary amounts of money.

Now imagine if that same kid is still in school and some booster offers to buy it for $15,000. That's the issue. If they relax on rules like that, the schools will just keep offering athletes more and more gear, and more and more boosters will find them and offer them extraordinary amounts of money.

+1

Having boosters pay players is the same as a booster paying over face value for goods that a player owns.

Not hard to figure out how that could get out of control.

Recruit: Why should I come to OSU?
Recruiter: Well, you'll end up alot of trophies, jerseys, trinkets, etc that you'll be able to sell to willing buyers across Columbus. Check out one of our player's dorm rooms. How do you think he payed for all of that stuff?

+1

Having boosters pay players is the same as a booster paying over face value for goods that a player owns.

Not hard to figure out how that could get out of control.

Recruit: Why should I come to OSU?
Recruiter: Well, you'll end up alot of trophies, jerseys, trinkets, etc that you'll be able to sell to willing buyers across Columbus. Check out one of our player's dorm rooms. How do you think he payed for all of that stuff?

Bingo! The NCAA needs to take a stand a come down hard on these "small" infractions, because it is only bound to get worse if they let these infractions go. Kids will inevitably push the edge until finally the whole type of situation spins out of control.

Do players buy these rings or are they given as a free reward by the institution?

Do players buy these rings or are they given as a free reward by the institution?

They are gifts from the schools, conferences, and/or bowl games. I knew a guy who played for Wisconsin that literally won't have to purchase a pair of athletic shoes till he's about 50 because he got so many pairs from the university while he was there.

Yes, seeing the NCAA banhammer come down on tO$U would provide some satisfaction for all conference members. However, assuming a USC-like reduction in scholarships, the (temporary) demise of Ohio State clearly benefits two teams: Wisconsin and Michigan. Both teams recruit heavily in OH and both stand to benefit from a weakened Ohio State--especially, Michigan. In addition to that, Wisconsin's road to the Big Ten Championship would become a heckuva lot easier. With the Leaders division already more top heavy than its counterpart, Wisconsin could make a run to the Rose Bowl with only a single victory of significance, not counting the B10 Championship.

While it will add more parity, a weak OSU would simultaneously bolster the strength of a divisional power and remove the primary obstacle for our biggest rival. Major sanctions could be a net loss for us.

Anybody who believes the NCAA will harshly punish OSU may also believe that the U. S. Department of Labor (DOL) Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) adequately protects coal miners, and that MSHA did everything possible within their power to prevent the the Upper Big Branch mine explosion where 29 miners died. Similarly, these are perhaps the same people who believe that the U. S. Department of the Interior Minerals Management Section (MMS) regulators were not sleeping (literally swapping precious bodily fluids) with oil industry lobbyists / representatives, that MMS represented the best interest of oil rig employees, and that MMS did everything within their power to prevent the New Horizons oil rig explosion which killed 11 oil rig workers. Money talks, and bull$hit walks. How about the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspectors who were benched and shoved in a broom closet for the violations they wrote up on Southwest Airlines back in 2007-2008? Are we then surprised that the skin of a Southwest Boeing 737 ripped off in mid flight? Somebody please point out to me the error in my logic, and reaffirm my faith in the NCAA as an honest fair minded, and powerful regulatory organization. I said it before, John Walker, just prior to being found dead in a Wilmington, Delaware landfill wrote in a blog or an email to his West Point compatriots that USMA should pull out of the NCAA because there is no integrity in the NCAA. 'Nuff said.

Yes, let's assume that OSU is going to skate on this. After all, it's not like USC received the harshest penalties in years, which were later upheld on appeal. Nope, that didn't happen at all.

Top Bottom