Forget the NIT title, this is why I'm excited for this program

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
1. The team, and the individuals got better throughout the year. Guys like Mo Walker, Eliason, King all improved immensely. Something we haven't had in the past regime.

2. These guys seem to love Pitino. Pitino seems a huge A-hole on the bench, but wow these guys bust their ass game in and game out.

3. Our coach can hang with anyone. So many games this year including the last two where we were outgunned in the talent, size and athleticism department but still found a way to win.

I'm so excited to see how things play out with Pitino and Co. as he gets his players in here!

I don't think he is a huge Ahole on the bench. He pushed the players to play better and acts like a coach.

1. The team, and the individuals got better throughout the year. Guys like Mo Walker, Eliason, King all improved immensely. Something we haven't had in the past regime.

2. These guys seem to love Pitino. Pitino seems a huge A-hole on the bench, but wow these guys bust their ass game in and game out.

3. Our coach can hang with anyone. So many games this year including the last two where we were outgunned in the talent, size and athleticism department but still found a way to win.

I'm so excited to see how things play out with Pitino and Co. as he gets his players in here!

We agree! And I'm excited and anxious for the ride as well!

I don't think he is a huge Ahole on the bench. He pushed the players to play better and acts like a coach.

call it what you wish, but it seems to work. These guys go out and give it their all every game for him!

He looks like an A-hole on the surface but I think his players and coaches get it. THey all respond positively.

One thing I notice with Coach Pitino is that when he takes someone out, he coaches them on what they did wrong. Previous coach would just throw them in the dog house.

Don't forget to add the point of... when Coach Pitino gets players he hand picks himself... it should be even better.

He looks like an A-hole on the surface but I think his players and coaches get it. THey all respond positively.

If you think Pitino looks like an a- hole on the bench then what does Bo Ryan look like?

My son played for an ahole who would yell and scream at players and if they lost when he thought they should win he would walk off the court and not shake hands with the opposing coach or players. That is an ahole. Pitino not even close. I agree he seems to motivate the players to play better and I think his coaches work hard for him.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/2101499/RichardPitinoTantrumWTFWasThat.gif

I think he is a hungry coach. The fans love him and his players and coaches do too. That's all that is important. Can wait until the first Bucky game.

Excited to see how much players improve over the off-season now that they are in shape and know the system some.

I think he is a hungry coach. The fans love him and his players and coaches do too. That's all that is important. Can wait until the first Bucky game.

I think ol Norwood should seriously consider an extension soon!

If you think Pitino looks like an a- hole on the bench then what does Bo Ryan look like?

Bo's wrath and antics are most all directed at the refs. Pitino's is directed at his players and his assistants as well as the refs. It works for him. My assistants would leave even we won them all if I did that. It worked for him and his Florida incumbents wanted to sign on for more. I agree he coaches players on the sideline. It's 2014, he also screams at players and assistants. That's not common today. But they all obviously know he cares about them, has a sense of humor, and he's not always screaming, I'm confident. I have not been to a practice. Many coaches scream at practice. I'll bet he has a softer approach in practice. Total guess. Just don't think screaming works ALL the time and he mixes it up but in games it's mostly screaming and intimidating. Not at the refs but at players and coaches. That is different in 2014. It works for him.

King and Walker definitely got better, but Eliason?

King and Walker definitely got better, but Eliason?

Defense and rebounding? Yes!

Speaking of Mo, this team will take a big leap next year if he gets stronger underneath. For a man his size he sure gets knocked around, stuffed, loses the ball, misses bunnies, etc.

Speaking of Mo, this team will take a big leap next year if he gets stronger underneath. For a man his size he sure gets knocked around, stuffed, loses the ball, misses bunnies, etc.

Exactly Mulligan. Walker has very good hands on the catch and has really good moves- now he needs to add the power to finish through contact.

Say what critics might about the NIT, winning it on national TV does make Minnesota a program on the rise that can be legitimately marketed by RP and staff. Here we go....

Pitino beat two former NBA coaches at the Garden this week. Hell of a run. Hope he is here another 40 years.

I am excited for the future of the program because there is an energy and an excitement that was not there for the last couple of years. Enthusiasm and energy from the coaches and the players in virtually every game make it a much more enjoyable product. The groundwork seems to be in place to get some serious talent onto the roster and make the Barn a fun place to be for years to come.

Watching Lil Dre zip past people tonight made me thing how much fun it is going to be to watch him at Howard Pulley league this summer with the reins completely off.

One thing I notice with Coach Pitino is that when he takes someone out, he coaches them on what they did wrong. Previous coach would just throw them in the dog house.

Don't forget to add the point of... when Coach Pitino gets players he hand picks himself... it should be even better.

This is what I am most pleased about. As a high school coach, I could never understand how our previous staff would not coach up their players through the season. When I study coaches, I feel that the biggest indicator of a good coach is how much their team and players improve over the course of a season and their career. I can't wait to see what happens with the returning players next season.

Mike Ellis said as much during halftime on the radio. Said that the next step for Mo is to finish through contact, that there's no reason someone of his size can't go up strong.

Say what critics might about the NIT, winning it on national TV does make Minnesota a program on the rise that can be legitimately marketed by RP and staff. Here we go....

People can say what they want, but both teams played like legit NCAA teams tonight, a neutral fan would think that was a well played basketball game between two good teams

People can say what they want, but both teams played like legit NCAA teams tonight, a neutral fan would think that was a well played basketball game between two good teams

First time I've watched SMU extensively. They looked good. Both of these teams were more deserving of a bid than Iowa.

My expectations for next year aren't quite as high as they were last year with all 5 starters and Mbakwe all coming back but we should be somewhat improved and be a tourney team. If we can get a quality transfer at the 4 then I think we will win a game in the tourney and be a top32 team. It's hard for me to be ecstatic about next year when we missed out in so many of our top recruiting targets and everybody that I actually wanted though. If we would have been able to get at least one consensus top 100 guy then I would be a lot more excited about next year but we should still be better.

This is what I am most pleased about. As a high school coach, I could never understand how our previous staff would not coach up their players through the season. When I study coaches, I feel that the biggest indicator of a good coach is how much their team and players improve over the course of a season and their career. I can't wait to see what happens with the returning players next season.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions I see on this site. How many players got better from the beginning of this year compared to the end? Look at EE's stats, Dre's stats, Smith's stats, Oto's stats, Wally's stats. They got worse by the end of the year or they quit. Of course, people are going to say it was caused by injury, or B1G play, or lack of heart, or they did not get along with the coaching staff, but they ignore the fact that happens every year (remember when Big Mo blew out his knee, Trevor blew out his knee, Al Nolen went out with an injury, etc.). For every player that improved, there is one that got worse. Happens every year, so I am not sure what it proves. People use Mo as an example of someone who improved, but I remember how good he was playing in the brief period of time before he blew out his knee. So, is it coaching, or finally recovering from a really bad injury and maturing? Maybe it is because Trevor graduated, so it is next man up and he played more minutes? Mo went from averaging 2 pts a game to 8 pts a game and from 7 minutes a game to 19 minutes, but his rebounds are identical at 4.5, despite playing more than double the minutes. He had some moments this year, but frankly, I was expecting more out of him. He disappeared for long stretches.

I think we were worse at the end of the year, our typical late January and February swoon, blowing games to Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and then getting absolutely pummeled by Wisconsin in the B1G tourney. Those things are inexcusable. We were not even competitive against Wisconsin and the loss to Illinois at home was embarrassing. The prior staff would get roasted, because we would start the season hot, beat some good to teams in OOC play (remember wins over North Carolina, West Virginia, Memphis, Louisville), start out the B1G season hot, and then fade down the stretch. The exact same thing happened this year, but somehow Pitino "coached up" his players?

Don't get me wrong, I love Pitino and I think he did a very good job this year, especially with it being his first. However, we have to remember the level of competition in the NIT is not anywhere close to the NCAA.

...we have to remember the level of competition in the NIT is not anywhere close to the NCAA

Not true.

This is not like playing some low-tier football bowl game where a team merely needs to win half of its games to play in the postseason. This is solid competition each an every game, and better competition than playing the low-end B1G teams, for which we seem to treasure wins and hate losses with fair passion. I'd argue the NIT teams would compete strongly with seeds ~11-16 in the NCAAT.

Mo went from averaging 2 pts a game to 8 pts a game and from 7 minutes a game to 19 minutes, but his rebounds are identical at 4.5, despite playing more than double the minutes. He had some moments this year, but frankly, I was expecting more out of him. He disappeared for long stretches.

Where are you getting these stats from? And what periods of time are you referring to? By saying that he averaged 2 PPG and 7 MPG, I assume you're comparing last year to this year? If so, according to ESPN, Mo averaged 2 RPG last year, compared to 4.5 RPG this year. He also has a significantly higher FG% this year as well.

Top Bottom