Forbes: The Silent Victory Of The Minnesota Player Protest

From the comment section in the article;
Joe Nathan 5 hours ago
As to supervising recruits, he can't be with every recruit, every minute they are on their visit, unless he is to have a sleepover at his place with all of them.

This in one part of the story that has bothered me a decent amount. Maybe I'm just naive and this happens everywhere (very likely), but how is a player left to chaperone a 17 yo recruit after a Thursday night game? If nothing else, I'm assuming the recruit was "checked out" after curfew in Minneapolis. This just seems like a recipe for disaster. And it also might just be necessary to "keep up with the joneses" these days in recruiting. As the old coach has said many times, nothing good happens after 1AM. And you know that recruit will be out awfully late.

Watching the replay - 3 punts by WSU were very interesting too -

1.Waters had no reason to be close to the ball but it goes off his foot; the play is reviewed but they don't call it and we keep the ball.
2. Carter had no reason to be close to the ball. He is on the ground. If the ball hits him and roles away we lose it. It falls right in his lap and he holds on to it.
3. Myric had no reason to field the punt once it hit the ground with several defenders coming right at him. He fields it anyway, gets hit in the helmet (no targeting called) and he holds on.

Intervention not at work here? I wonder.

Re: The punt that seemed to nick Waters on the foot...I did not re watch the game, but did the ball not also appear to brush a Michigan player first making it a dead ball at that point? .... I was viewing the game at a bar where they would not do the courtesy of having the sound up, so I've no idea what the discussion was.

From the comment section in the article;
Joe Nathan 5 hours ago
Several things are clear. 1. The football coach had NOT done enough supervision of recruiting to insure that a 17 year old recruit wasn’t brought into a sexual situation. Supervising recruiting is one of his responsibilities. 2) At a critical moment (during the boycott) the coach could have spoken out BOTH in favor of due process and in favor of respecting women and opposing sexual assault. He chose to speak out via tweet only about the first issue. He failed in 2 critical parts of leadership. He should be fired. And there should be a broader review of the UofM men’s athletic program.

He forgets that Coach Claeys did speak about respecting woman and opposing sexual assault along with donating 50k.
As to supervising recruits, he can't be with every recruit, every minute they are on their visit, unless he is to have a sleepover at his place with all of them.

This is surely the same Joe Nathan that organized the fire Claeys petition. As others pointed out he sees what he wants to see and hears what he wants to hear based on preconceived notions and pre existing biases.

Joe has been actively involved in educational innovation following his career as a 60s civil rights activist. Chew on that irony for awhile.

He is a proponent of the trophy for everyone and no grades school. No wonder he wants to destroy the athletic department. From an article written by a former student of his:

" I’m a graduate but I’m also an alumna of the experimental precursor to another innovation Joe shepherded into being, Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO). One of the blessings of age (and of a graduate degree, which is the only line on my résumé anyone ever looks at) is that I am no longer called on to explain why my transcripts are packed with class titles like “Breads of the World” and “Moot Court” that have no grades attached to them."

I think that we are all missing the point here. A field goal attempt hit the upright and dropped over the bar for 3 points. A ball that would normally be intercepted gets tipped up in the air and is caught for a touchdown. The opposing team gets a completed pass ruling at the one yard line overturned. We are talking the Gophers here. Those things don't happen to our teams.

Can we say intervention here? How can it be coincidence? There is no such thing.
Bravo! The only question is...who, or what, intervened? May I suggest it was Goldy, the god of rodents? [emoji41]

Re: The punt that seemed to nick Waters on the foot...I did not re watch the game, but did the ball not also appear to brush a Michigan player first making it a dead ball at that point? .... I was viewing the game at a bar where they would not do the courtesy of having the sound up, so I've no idea what the discussion was.

I don't think it hit a Michigan player, but I will look at again to see. That was never even mentioned by the commentators. MennoSota understands exactly what happened as he stated above: ""Bravo! The only question is...who,, or what, intervened? May I suggest it was Goldy, the god of rodents?"

Watching the replay - 3 punts by WSU were very interesting too -

1.Waters had no reason to be close to the ball but it goes off his foot; the play is reviewed but they don't call it and we keep the ball.

Intervention not at work here? I wonder.
On the replay, it was 50/50 whether a Washington State player touched the ball first, so the call on the field stands. The ball would be awarded to WSU only if the replay was conclusive.

On the replay, it was 50/50 whether a Washington State player touched the ball first, so the call on the field stands. The ball would be awarded to WSU only if the replay was conclusive.

I just looked at it in super slow-mo. It probably did hit his foot but I could not tell for sure. It did not touch a WSU players and that was never the issue.

I just looked at it in super slow-mo. It probably did hit his foot but I could not tell for sure. It did not touch a WSU players and that was never the issue.

Fortunately the call on the field was Minnesota possession.....would have been tough to overturn the call no matter which way it initially went.

Top Bottom