Forbes: The Silent Victory Of The Minnesota Player Protest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Forbes:

I scanned every article I could find after the University of Minnesota football team’s 17-12 victory over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl. I checked the official website for the victorious Gophers. I even checked the student newspaper. Most mention that this is one of the biggest wins in recent history – Minnesota’s first nine-win season since 2003, and culminating the very rare experience of winning two straight bowl games.

But found no articles or journalist posts asking the question: “Was the threatened player boycott of the bowl game a major part of the reason a 10-point underdog won the game?”

The Washington State Cougars were strong favorites for strong reasons. They came into the game ranked second nationally in passing offense, and 14th in scoring offense (over 40 points a game). They were coached by colorfully quirky but much-celebrated ESPN favorite, Mike Leach. Minnesota, conversely, was coached by someone nobody outside of the state knows, Tracy Claeys. Claeys is just getting off his training wheels as a head coach, starting a few years ago upon the resignation of Jerry Kill, who left for health reasons.

The experts were unanimous and probably full of unspoken underlying assumptions. On paper, every significant statistical marker for victory pointed to Washington State. The underlying assumption was that the Gophers were doomed by not only a talent deficit, but also the distraction of internal turmoil, and a coach with an uncertain future.

No journalistic report, and no outpouring from the blogosphere was willing to credit the student protest as a galvanizing factor in the upset win. Why did Minnesota hold a 40-points-per-game team to 6 points for 99 percent of the game? The team did not physically transform itself. The only alternative source is what was within the solidary of spirit and mind of those players.

The companion point is this: the us-against-the-world mentality included Coach Claeys. He voiced his support for the protest. That put him at odds with the administration. And even in victory, he may suffer the most. While players may graduate, Claeys may lose his job. I suspect the players knew that going into the game. They knew that as they prepared for it, during it and after it. The players probably knew that the contract extension talks for Claeys, planned for early December before the controversy, did not occur.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergr...of-the-minnesota-player-protest/#84f60f078116

Go Gophers!!

Or that occasionally upsets happen, and upsets of unranked teams aren't exactly shocking.

I think they were absolutely motivated in playing for the collective team (us against the world as article stated) and the coaching staff!

I do not doubt that the chip on the shoulder was something of a factor, but that chip likely had an effect on planning, strategy, and game prep as well...not just the "in game" emotion.

One thing in the article I do not like is this: The AD, Mark Coyle, carefully chose his words: “I will take this opportunity to reflect on this past season before sitting down together to talk about the future and my expectations for our football program.” Claeys knows Coyle is not likely to be coy about that conversation. In one form or another, the question will be posed, “Are you with us, or are you with them?” They both know the expected answer, and the consequences.

Coach should not be asked to take sides... He should support his team, unless it is proven that there are grounds for penalties. All he has indicated was a desire for a fair playing field for the accused. He owes his players, their parents, potential recruits this courtesy.

Or that occasionally upsets happen, and upsets of unranked teams aren't exactly shocking.

Wrong....We had a walk-on center, a depleted secondary that was even more in harm's way when Durr went down. We also lost our best defensive tackle in the 3 quarter. I don't think there are too
many teams the Gophers wouldn't have beaten on Tuesday. Never in the long history of my watching Gopher football have I seen a better defense effort. As Elwood would say: " The Gophers were on a mission from God" WSU was averaging 40 points a game, and as one WSU fan said: We didn't face a defense that good all year"

I do not doubt that the chip on the shoulder was something of a factor, but that chip likely had an effect on planning, strategy, and game prep as well...not just the "in game" emotion.

One thing in the article I do not like is this: The AD, Mark Coyle, carefully chose his words: “I will take this opportunity to reflect on this past season before sitting down together to talk about the future and my expectations for our football program.” Claeys knows Coyle is not likely to be coy about that conversation. In one form or another, the question will be posed, “Are you with us, or are you with them?” They both know the expected answer, and the consequences.

Coach should not be asked to take sides... He should support his team, unless it is proven that there are grounds for penalties. All he has indicate was a desire for a fair playing field for the accused. He owes his players, their parents, potential recruits this courtesy.

It has been said many times Coyle is not looking out for the best interests of the athletic program but just his self preservation. The writer sees it from miles away. Obviously the AD is flawed.

Wrong....We had a walk-on center, a depleted secondary that was even more in harm's way when Durr went down. We also lost our best defensive tackle in the 3 quarter. I don't think there are too
many teams the Gophers wouldn't have beaten on Tuesday. Never in the long history of my watching Gopher football have I seen a better defense effort. As Elwood would say: " The Gophers were on a mission from God" WSU was averaging 40 points a game, and as one WSU fan said: We didn't face a defense that good all year"

^ This is why I was so thrilled & proud for the team following this victory... in the face of a buttload of adversity, everyone one on the team performed like a champion against a very worthy opponent.

It has been said many times Coyle is not looking out for the best interests of the athletic program but just his self preservation. The writer sees it from miles away. Obviously the AD is flawed.

He looked at the odds and hooked his wagon to Kaler. He "managed up" well, as we say in business. Trouble is, in doing so he then abdicated any ability he had to use his position to successfully manage the situation to a fair and just resolution for all involved.

Nothing shows this more than Kaler's presser, where Coyle sat quietly and obediently as Kaler put his spin on the situation and basically lied in a completely self-serving way. Must have been hard for Mark to just sit there, listen, and know Kaler was spewing a bunch of crap.

As for the BoR members who met with the team...it must have been quite a WTF moment when they viewed Kaler's presser.

Vandy
Coach should not be asked to take sides... He should support his team, unless it is proven that there are grounds for penalties. All he has indicate was a desire for a fair playing field for the accused. He owes his players, their parents, potential recruits this courtesy.

I agree with you Vandy. We don't live in a dictatorship. Rather one where innocent until proven guilty. Everyone should be allowed due process.

It's hard to express how much I love coaches like Sawvel and Claeys. They are leaders of men. The others...seem to be self-serving managers and appeasers lacking fortitude of character and seeking the easiest path. Then again, maybe they align with people like Alchemy, Upnorth, CoMn.

The conclusion of the article:

I also hope fair-minded journalists and fans get beyond the bunker mentality, the easy assumptions, and the rush to judgment against all players who protest and all coaches that support them. Some people are quick to make villains of student athletes that think and act beyond football. The irony is that the university begged them to come play football as a secondary activity to their education, including knowledge of such legal foundational points as due process.

Was the protest inspired by the right reasons? Probably. Did it end for the right reasons? Probably. Did it cause players to rise above and beyond their individualized performance to collectively cause a stunning victory when all predictors said they would fail. Definitely.

Roger Groves is a Professor of Law and Director of the Business Transactional Law Program at Florida Coastal School of Law and the Sports Law Practice Institute. Follow Roger on Twitter @rgroveslaw.

This article was great. Coach C is most assuredly the right person to lead this team.

"I just want Claeys GONE!!!"

We understand, a few here even agree. Forgive those of us who don't.

That said you shouldn't be so upset when writer or two disagree with your, often stated, position. Think of all the hacks who are on your side.

Does it occur to anyone that the Gophers are better than advertised? They played an entertaining brand of football and lost by a TD or less in three of their four loses. In the lost to Wisconsin, they played an entertaining first half.

10/1/2016 Gophers vs PSU - L 29-26 OT
10/8/2016 Gophers vs Iowa - L 14-7
11/12/2016 Gophers vs Nebraska - L 24-17
1126/2016 Gophers vs Wisconsin L 31-17

We've never seen the Gophers play defense in a long time like they've done under Claeys. If they get a decent QB and a couple of key players, I'd like to see what Claeys will do with upgraded talent.

Probably have to go back to the 1967 season to see defense such as the one on display in the bowl. Don't think I'm using hyberbole.

Does it occur to anyone that the Gophers are better than advertised? They played an entertaining brand of football and lost by a TD or less in three of their four loses. In the lost to Wisconsin, they played an entertaining first half.

10/1/2016 Gophers vs PSU - L 29-26 OT
10/8/2016 Gophers vs Iowa - L 14-7
11/12/2016 Gophers vs Nebraska - L 24-17
1126/2016 Gophers vs Wisconsin L 31-17

We've never seen the Gophers play defense in a long time like they've done under Claeys. If they get a decent QB and a couple of key players, I'd like to see what Claeys will do with upgraded talent.

Yep, the "glass half-full" group (count me in that one) see it. the "glass half empty" group points to the slim margin victories, and that the Gophs didn't win one they really shouldn't (all the trophy games) as proof that this team completely under performed its way to nine wins.

I think that we are all missing the point here. A field goal attempt hit the upright and dropped over the bar for 3 points. A ball that would normally be intercepted gets tipped up in the air and is caught for a touchdown. The opposing team gets a completed pass ruling at the one yard line overturned. We are talking the Gophers here. Those things don't happen to our teams.

Can we say intervention here? How can it be coincidence? There is no such thing.

We've never seen the Gophers play defense in a long time like they've done under Claeys.

Hmmm. I read somewhere that his defenses are very overrated. It was even supported by some "advanced stats" found by searching Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that we are all missing the point here. A field goal attempt hit the upright and dropped over the bar for 3 points. A ball that would normally be intercepted gets tipped up in the air and is caught for a touchdown. The opposing team gets a completed pass ruling at the one yard line overturned. We are talking the Gophers here. Those things don't happen to our teams.

Can we say intervention here? How can it be coincidence? There is no such thing.

I got it and appreciate the effort. :drink:

Team did seem to come together and play more unified in this game. I was expecting the opposite. However I also thought think we are just a better team than WSU.

It's hard to express how much I love coaches like Sawvel and Claeys. They are leaders of men. The others...seem to be self-serving managers and appeasers lacking fortitude of character and seeking the easiest path. Then again, maybe they align with people like Alchemy, Upnorth, CoMn.

Why do you need to attack others with assumptions that are totally baseless? I am guessing you never read my post strongly supporting Claeys and outcome of the boycott. I think Claeys is the best coach for the current situation and the team unity is off the charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do you need to attack others with assumptions that are totally baseless? I am guessing you never read my post strongly supporting Claeys and outcome of the boycott. I think Claeys is the best coach for the current situation and the team unity is off the charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The debates and disagreements on this board are fun. But, sorry man, you've blown your credibility to logically argue this issue.

There is a Knute Rocknesque moment in the way this team and their HC coach rallied together to do the right thing.

The players were on a mission playing probably their most memorable moment ever in their careers as a united and determined group.

Coach Claeys backed the 110 players that were upstanding students, and to calls for fairness in the due process knowing his job may be on the line.

He made known later that he does not condone sexual violence at anytime and went further to donate $50,000.00 to help sexual assault victims.

What player (and parents) not want to play for Coach Claeys. He is not afraid to take a stand for his players.

LMAO!!! Ain't that the truth?!?! The life of a gopher fan can often times be a very lonely one. Let's celebrate the good times as hard as we endure the hard ones!!!

LMAO!!! Ain't that the truth?!?! The life of a gopher fan can often times be a very lonely one. Let's celebrate the good times as hard as we endure the hard ones!!!

Aaaaaah! Hope Springs eternal even in Gopherland.

The ad should be fired. Today

The conclusion of the article:

I also hope fair-minded journalists and fans get beyond the bunker mentality, the easy assumptions, and the rush to judgment against all players who protest and all coaches that support them. Some people are quick to make villains of student athletes that think and act beyond football. The irony is that the university begged them to come play football as a secondary activity to their education, including knowledge of such legal foundational points as due process.

Was the protest inspired by the right reasons? Probably. Did it end for the right reasons? Probably. Did it cause players to rise above and beyond their individualized performance to collectively cause a stunning victory when all predictors said they would fail. Definitely.

Roger Groves is a Professor of Law and Director of the Business Transactional Law Program at Florida Coastal School of Law and the Sports Law Practice Institute. Follow Roger on Twitter @rgroveslaw.

Well stated regarding a Claeys and saw. As well as the others. Lacking character perfectly describes the others

I got it and appreciate the effort. :drink:

Watching the replay - 3 punts by WSU were very interesting too -

1.Waters had no reason to be close to the ball but it goes off his foot; the play is reviewed but they don't call it and we keep the ball.
2. Carter had no reason to be close to the ball. He is on the ground. If the ball hits him and roles away we lose it. It falls right in his lap and he holds on to it.
3. Myric had no reason to field the punt once it hit the ground with several defenders coming right at him. He fields it anyway, gets hit in the helmet (no targeting called) and he holds on.

Intervention not at work here? I wonder.

From the comment section in the article;
Joe Nathan 5 hours ago
Several things are clear. 1. The football coach had NOT done enough supervision of recruiting to insure that a 17 year old recruit wasn’t brought into a sexual situation. Supervising recruiting is one of his responsibilities. 2) At a critical moment (during the boycott) the coach could have spoken out BOTH in favor of due process and in favor of respecting women and opposing sexual assault. He chose to speak out via tweet only about the first issue. He failed in 2 critical parts of leadership. He should be fired. And there should be a broader review of the UofM men’s athletic program.

He forgets that Coach Claeys did speak about respecting woman and opposing sexual assault along with donating 50k.
As to supervising recruits, he can't be with every recruit, every minute they are on their visit, unless he is to have a sleepover at his place with all of them.

From the comment section in the article;
Joe Nathan 5 hours ago
Several things are clear. 1. The football coach had NOT done enough supervision of recruiting to insure that a 17 year old recruit wasn’t brought into a sexual situation. Supervising recruiting is one of his responsibilities. 2) At a critical moment (during the boycott) the coach could have spoken out BOTH in favor of due process and in favor of respecting women and opposing sexual assault. He chose to speak out via tweet only about the first issue. He failed in 2 critical parts of leadership. He should be fired. And there should be a broader review of the UofM men’s athletic program.

<b>He forgets that Coach Claeys did speak about respecting woman and opposing sexual assault along with donating 50k.</b>
As to supervising recruits, he can't be with every recruit, every minute they are on their visit, unless he is to have a sleepover at his place with all of them.

He didn't forget. He simply included what data supported his agenda and omitted data that didn't. Similar to a recent report I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom