For those who profess to know about the powers of interim athletic directors

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Various posters have repeated the line that the U can't hire or fire a coach without a permanent athletic director. Absent hard evidence of that, I have been skeptical about that claim. Here is a link to an article describing how an interim athletic director at Pitt was empowered to do just that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...before-athletic-director/stories/201412190213

Now, if any of you can point to specific rules in university bylaws that distinguish Minnesota from Pitt, I will gladly consider them as hard evidence. Otherwise, I think all should refrain from treating some offhand remark from Jerry Kill (who has never struck me as the regulatory researcher type) as the gospel truth.

Again use your head, it's not about bylaws, if Goetz isn't the person Kaler isn't going to let her fire the head basketball coach, hire a new one and then hamstring the new athletic director with someone they didn't want. A legitimate candidate will not want to come here under those circumstances. You're argument about what an interim AD has the power to do is irrelevant because that's not the point. It's all about the search for a permanent AD. If Pitino is in hot water the new hire will want the opportunity to bring in their own person, not be stuck with coach X. BTW nice comment about Kill's intellect, real classy

Again use your head, it's not about bylaws, if Goetz isn't the person Kaler isn't going to let her fire the head basketball coach, hire a new one and then hamstring the new athletic director with someone they didn't want. A legitimate candidate will not want to come here under those circumstances. You're argument about what an interim AD has the power to do is irrelevant because that's not the point. It's all about the search for a permanent AD. If Pitino is in hot water the new hire will want the opportunity to bring in their own person, not be stuck with coach X. BTW nice comment about Kill's intellect, real classy

"Use your head" as well. Athletic directors are hired all the time with coaching contracts in place and coaches they are "stuck" with. Some of you act as if hiring and firing coaches is the primary duty of athletic directors. Those are occasional, albeit high profile, parts of the job. Raising revenues, managing expenses, logistics, negotiation (with far more persons than coaches), scheduling, budgeting, preparing financial/performance/compliance reports are the more regular day-to-day responsibilities of athletic directors (and their subordinates).

Firing the current coach and hiring a new one are two separate things. It is entirely plausible that Goetz could fire Pitino in March or so, and new permanent AD hired shortly thereafter could hire a new coach in April. I've noticed that people keep saying that the new AD will be hired in July. However, Kaler is on record as stating no later than June 30.

It seems to me that when any organization hires any employee the organization initially defines the terms of employment, i.e. the powers and duties of the position. From there negotiation takes place. For an interim, it might well be spelled out that the temp has limits that a permanent hire would not. Having said that I have no idea what limits, if any, are in place for Goetz.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Firing the current coach and hiring a new one are two separate things. It is entirely plausible that Goetz could fire Pitino in March or so, and new permanent AD hired shortly thereafter could hire a new coach in April. I've noticed that people keep saying that the new AD will be hired in July. However, Kaler is on record as stating no later than June 30.

Plausible, but not likely unless Goetz becomes the permanent AD. My argument mostly the prove fallacy of the OP. Again the smart thing to do would be to let the new AD evaluate the program. Were already unstable. An Interim AD firing a coach with no promise of getting fulltime gig just screams competency doesn't it?

"Use your head" as well. Athletic directors are hired all the time with coaching contracts in place and coaches they are "stuck" with. Some of you act as if hiring and firing coaches is the primary duty of athletic directors. Those are occasional, albeit high profile, parts of the job. Raising revenues, managing expenses, logistics, negotiation (with far more persons than coaches), scheduling, budgeting, preparing financial/performance/compliance reports are the more regular day
Let me make this simple for you if you were interviewing to be the AD of the U and some other places. Wouldn't you want to evaluate all of the programs before any changes were made. Especially your revenue sports? If you don't care for Goetz hire you're stuck for a few years, you can't can a coach after one year, makes you look clueless and will drive candidates away because perception is reality and who wants to work for a boss that only got one year. If you can comprehend that than you can see why Pitino will get a fourth year.

There is a distinction between what is permissible and what is wise. I think preserving the ability of an incoming AD to make changes should make the position more attractive to a highly qualified candidate, and that's exactly what I think Kaler has done.

"Use your head" as well. Athletic directors are hired all the time with coaching contracts in place and coaches they are "stuck" with. Some of you act as if hiring and firing coaches is the primary duty of athletic directors. Those are occasional, albeit high profile, parts of the job. Raising revenues, managing expenses, logistics, negotiation (with far more persons than coaches), scheduling, budgeting, preparing financial/performance/compliance reports are the more regular day
Let me make this simple for you if you were interviewing to be the AD of the U and some other places. Wouldn't you want to evaluate all of the programs before any changes were made. Especially your revenue sports? If you don't care for Goetz hire you're stuck for a few years, you can't can a coach after one year, makes you look clueless and will drive candidates away because perception is reality and who wants to work for a boss that only got one year. If you can comprehend that than you can see why Pitino will get a fourth year.

lol....ok

Really because firing a coach after one season and no chance to recruit the year after firing a coach who only got three just screams stability. No one with options would come here. This is why you do the wise thing and let the new permanent AD evaluate the program.

He's not going anywhere. He'll get next year to prove himself.

I thought you were referring to an AD coming in and firing a coach after a year. Tubby meet Norwood.
(Tough to keep up with all the firings on here today)

He's not going anywhere. He'll get next year to prove himself.

I thought you were referring to an AD coming in and firing a coach after a year. Tubby meet Norwood.
(Tough to keep up with all the firings on here today)
My bad probably could've worded it better. If anything I wouldn't have a problem with a new AD not thinking Pitino's a fit if the team struggles next year. Ya no kidding

post-51685-Ron-Swanson-this-is-my-hell-gi-hxVo.gif

Seriously. This is my hell. Someone screwed up the quote blocks, debating a bunch of hypotheticals. Negative gopher sentiment. It's essentially hell.

Plausible, but not likely unless Goetz becomes the permanent AD. My argument mostly the prove fallacy of the OP.

If you think your arguments "prove" anything, then you're even dumber than I thought. Perhaps you just don't understand the meaning of the word "prove."

By the way, the Pitt interim AD hired a football coach in late December of 2014 and the permanent AD was named the following April. Of course, that must be false reporting because, according to you, no football coach would be hired without a permanent AD in place and no permanent AD would go to place where he/she was stuck with someone else's hire.

What a dimwitted blowhard you are.

I have no problem with debate and a healthy difference of opinion, but I’m always disappointed when it occurs with name calling and sarcasm.

If you think your arguments "prove" anything, then you're even dumber than I thought. Perhaps you just don't understand the meaning of the word "prove."

By the way, the Pitt interim AD hired a football coach in late December of 2014 and the permanent AD was named the following April. Of course, that must be false reporting because, according to you, no football coach would be hired without a permanent AD in place and no permanent AD would go to place where he/she was stuck with someone else's hire.

What a dimwitted blowhard you are.

Lol now I know I have you on the ropes. If you're referring to Claeys, Kill wasn't fired, need to hire someone when the coach retires. As for Pitt Chryst left to go Wisconsin, can't just not have a coach in the closing weeks before the signing day. Keep digging though, I'll throw up a rope when you want to climb out of your hole

Top Bottom