For those who have purchased tailgate spots

Keokolo Gopher

kama'aina
Reaction score
Which lot did you choose and why? I choose the Ski U Mah Lot because it is close to my gate but most importantly, I want a good view of TCF Bank Stadium when I am enjoying a cold beer and some good tailgate fixin's.

I'm gonna be in the Ski-U-Mooch lot

Moochin' off of others benevolence towards the University by walking up and joining random tailgates. I figure people will be so damn happy to be out of the Metrodome and downtown Mpls that people will give anyone food and drink.

Moochin' off of others benevolence towards the University by walking up and joining random tailgates. I figure people will be so damn happy to be out of the Metrodome and downtown Mpls that people will give anyone food and drink.

I went with a private lot about 3 blocks away. Didn't want to pony up $1,000.

You already have a lot picked out? Care to help a fellow cheapskate out?

I will pay you in Breakfast Burritos, Bloody Mary's and Beer.

Since I'm nowhere near being able to afford the $1000/$2500 lots, I went with the West Bank tailgate lot C86. It's cheap at $10/game; it allows me to tailgate if I so choose; I can walk/bus/bike to the stadium and hit the bars along the way before the game; and getting in/out should be a lot easier traffic-wise than any of the ramps on the East Bank. I didn't consider the St. Paul tailgate lot just because I don't want to have to take a bus to the stadium. C86 is also just across the street from some softball fields - great spot for some pregame pickup touch football games, etc.

Ah! Someone who can hopefully answer the question that's been bugging me...

Is this private lot saying you'll be able to tailgate? B/c there has had been questions about whether the City of Minneapolis was going to try to crack down/outlaw tailgating in private lots (this was never confirmed by anyone). Any word on that? :)

jesus, what is shoved up the City of Minneapolis's ass???? what a grinch

jesus, what is shoved up the City of Minneapolis's ass???? what a grinch

No one has confirmed it yet. I was told on my tour last October that the U was pretty sure that the City wouldn't allow tailgating in non-U owned lots. However, other posters ran through the city ordinances and it didn't look like they had the power to ban it. That's why I'm so interested in knowing if dlw has heard anything.

For sure I know they are a Grinch b/c they won't close down Oak St in front of the stadium on gamedays (though I recognize that it is the only real connection to 4th St).

Which lot did you choose and why? I choose the Ski U Mah Lot because it is close to my gate but most importantly, I want a good view of TCF Bank Stadium when I am enjoying a cold beer and some good tailgate fixin's.

I chose lot C58. My thought process was that since I am typically a very early arrival, I could get a spot that butts up to 4th Street that affords a great view of TCF. I also was thinking that since there is a master plan to develop the areas housing the Ski-U-Mah and NorthStar lots that if they somehow decide to "grandfather" those who are in tailgating lots that I would be better served. Overthinking it I know, but I take my gameday experience pretty seriously. ;) I also thought that it would afford easy access to taking in the scene on "The Row" as well as provide close proximity if for any reason the U decides to have the band march down University in a nod to tradition. Lastly, and only because I'm sure my wife would have quit reading by now, I figured it would provide the best chance to see the local coeds in their gameday best, preferably, Ugg's with denim skirts and tight Gopher t-shirts. Not that I pay attention to that sort of thing... :p

Vinko, you sound like a very wise man

I like the way you think.

Bump it up here, we choose in a couple days but haven't decided where to park yet. I think we will just wait it out and see what is available as we can't donate a grand right now.

We have also chosen the C58 Lot because that location will be extremely close to the gameday campus activites. We aren't too worried about the traffic in and out as we arrive early and stay late. Can't wait. C58 will be a great tailgating lot. I see where that lot is full now. Go Gophers!

We went with C88 on the West Bank. It doesnt' require a donation (isn't a required donation an oxymoron?). Traffic should be easy in and out. It's small enough that there are no interior spots meaning that we always get to park under a tree. There is a nice field right next to it for playing games, throwing a football, etc. If weather is bad, it's only a couple of blocks to seven corners. If you walk the mile from the lot to the stadium you go right through the heart of campus and it will feel like a pilgrimage each Saturday.

Would it be cool to tailgate in the shadow of TCF? Sure, but I can buy a lot of tailgating supplies for $1,000.

Our group gets to pick on the 15th. I can't wait! We're hoping to get into one of the lots a few blocks from the stadium. $1000 donation put up but was split between a bunch of us. Hopefully our 1 spot doesn't get too crowded.

I'm not sure what the final say has been by the City as far as where you can and can't tailgate. I did hear that there were going to be designated lots though and anyone tailgating anywhere else would be in violation of city ordinance.

Since I'm nowhere near being able to afford the $1000/$2500 lots, I went with the West Bank tailgate lot C86. It's cheap at $10/game; it allows me to tailgate if I so choose; I can walk/bus/bike to the stadium and hit the bars along the way before the game; and getting in/out should be a lot easier traffic-wise than any of the ramps on the East Bank. I didn't consider the St. Paul tailgate lot just because I don't want to have to take a bus to the stadium. C86 is also just across the street from some softball fields - great spot for some pregame pickup touch football games, etc.

That's actually a great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. St. Paul seemed like the worst option, just because anyone that's waited at the U for a bus before or after the game, knows how annoying it is...but the West Bank is just a nice walk over. Get a roadie for the hike, and you're set! For $10 a game, you can't go wrong...plus, I'm sure you could get all of your friends in that lot too.

If you've tailgated in the Edgewood High lot in Madison and walked from there to Camp Randall it's almost the same distance as West Bank will be to TCF. A healthy walk but not bad.

I measured it a little over a mile on Google Earth....

I found the same thing. For a bus trip, its approximately a .3 to .4 mile walk (depending on if you cut corners and what not) between the C86/C88 parking lots and the WB bus pickup. Following the route the bus will take it's 1.26 miles from the pickup point to the dropoff point at TCF. The distance from the S108 lot in STP to TCF on the bus route the U shows is approx 4 miles. Plus, you have 2 more potential stops (Gortner Ramp/Como Lot) to wait for too.

I hope too many folks don't like the look of the WB parking lots...I'm definitely thinking they might be the way to go and I think the tailgate spots will be gone by the time I pick. You have the bus available pretty close if you need/want it, or its a not too bad walk to the stadium through campus. I walk farther to Camp Randall from the lot we tailgate in at UW and that always seems to go quickly.

Also, once the LRT goes in, the 19th Ave station will be approx 1000 ft away. Not a bad option for those rainy days in the future!

I picked lot C86 today, much rather be on the West Bank than in St. Paul. Just have to wait about 2 more weeks to pick with my group.

Top Bottom