For those who follow the roster closely

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Excluding seniors, which Gopher players on the team in 2008 are not returning for 2009? I know Brock, Nance and Smith are a few, are there any others that definitely won't be returning? Don't care about the walk-ons. Thanks in advance.

That's what I've seen or heard here many times. That's not a done deal?

I'm not even sure Nance is gone (there have been rumors since before he signed).

IIRC, Jason Meinke has left the program since last year.

As for the Brock thing, it's not a done deal in the absolute sense. That said, keeping in mind I'm as optimistic as any Gopher fan and carry no inside information on this beyond published reports, I would be (pleasantly) shocked if he suits up for the Gophers this fall.

Excluding seniors, which Gopher players on the team in 2008 are not returning for 2009? I know Brock, Nance and Smith are a few, are there any others that definitely won't be returning? Don't care about the walk-ons. Thanks in advance.

In the past Gophersports has removed those who have left the program - pronto. Smith is still listed even though it sounds like he's gone. http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&SPID=3280&SPSID=38606

Im pretty sure the U has had a few walk ons who have made some noise on the roster and have even started, and every walk on is important to the team

Mike Rallis walked on last year. It's fun to see the local kids do well.

Yeah, blanketing all walk-ons as "sucking" isn't even close to accurate. That's why they get invites to join the team. They could end up being very good and I think we've had more than a few who have ended up being pretty decent.

Certainly not all walk-ons make it to that level, but they at least deserve the opportunity.

Yeah, blanketing all walk-ons as "sucking" isn't even close to accurate. That's why they get invites to join the team. They could end up being very good and I think we've had more than a few who have ended up being pretty decent.

Certainly not all walk-ons make it to that level, but they at least deserve the opportunity.

I agree. One of the starting safeties is a walk on!:D

I agree. One of the starting safeties is a walk on!:D

Wasn't Mike Sherels a walk on? For that matter wasn't Marcus also a walk on originally? I don't remember for sure, but for some reason this is what I remember.

Mike focused and became one of our starting linebackers. he didn't set the world on fire, but he was a gamer and you could count on him putting 100% effort in on every play....

Sometimes I think the walk ons have just enough extra motivation combined with undeveloped talent to overcome the odds and excel at this level... More power to them!

Walk-ons expected to start this year:
Kim Royston
Marcus Sherels
Nick Tow-Arnett

Walk-ons competing for a starting spot
Ben Kuznia
Jeff Tow-Arnett

Mike Rallis walked on and contributed from the get go, Jon Hoese is a walk-on who is expected to contribute as well.

Top Bottom