For those we wish could attend

MrC

Reaction score
On Saturday I will attend the game with the son of a dear friend of mine we lost a couple years ago. He got me to buy season tickets Mason's first year. If he was still with us, he would be anticipating this game with a combination of excitement and anxiety. I have no doubt he would be a steadfast supporter of Jerry Kill. I am proud to host his son in his honor.

Anyone else have someone they wish could be there this Saturday?

My son. Unfortunately he and his 6 mo old bride will be out in Montanna at her parents place for an early Thanksgiving. We get them for the normal Thanksgiving. My son views Wisconsin fans like I do.
He had a run in with them a few years ago in Madison.

I've been blessed in the sense that none of the real fans I've known have passed on. But I've had both financial and health setbacks in the past few years that make me wonder if I'll ever get back to the cities. But I'm always there in spirit. I keep telling my wife that I need to get back in the fall so I can check out TCF and Target Field, both of which are new since I was last there. The way things are going--or not going--might as well plan on the Vikings new digs as well.

Back when I was attending the U, I had an apartment close to the Dome and it was a quick walk to the Band Box Diner for breakfast. Is the Band Box still there?

Of course, I wouldn't mind just going to Pasadena to see the Gophers.

My Dad.

He attended the opening game at TCF with my wife and I, only Gopher FB game ever. He is just not ambulatory enough to do it again, and it makes me sad.

I always think of the elderly people who have nobody to take them to just one game. Those folks I talk to that know I am a Gopher rube tell me stories of their experiences growing up and going to Memorial stadium. We should have a grandparents day in early September or something to treat those who would love to go but have no way to make it. My daughter is a Minnesota graduate who is in Florida at graduate school...wish she could come to the game.

Obviously my Dad. If you read the Hole the past 2 years, you'd know why.

My buddy Les. We went back to kindergarten together. He was a Gopher Fan his entire life, Hockey, Basketball and Football. Played hockey and was pretty good. Had hockey tickets from the time he got down to the Cities until he physically couldn't go anymore. Talked him into getting Gopher Tickets in '94. He kept them until '96. After all those years of watching the Hockey Team win, he just couldn't take watching those gosh-awful Wacker teams.

Once a year, we'd bring a bunch of friends down for the game. Les always made it. Then his heart started given out. He dealt with an infection on his pacemaker and couldn't get a transplant because he didn't "qualify". He was to sick. Saw him a couple days before he died in 2011. He was in great form. He wanted to talk about Jerry Kill and why Lucia just couldn't bring another National Championship home to the Cities.

Lucia got back to the Championship the next year but couldn't bring it home.

He would have gone with us to the Badger game on Saturday. He just hated them damn Badgers.

Wish you could be there buddy, hope they get the "monkey of their backs" this weekend for him.

Me. I would like to go, but find myself cleaning our house for a baby shower.

My son. Unfortunately he and his 6 mo old bride will be out in Montanna at her parents place for an early Thanksgiving. We get them for the normal Thanksgiving. My son views Wisconsin fans like I do.
He had a run in with them a few years ago in Madison.

Your son should be arrested...unless it's legal in Montana. Still. Can't say I support this type of behavior.

About 10 years ago I started talking Gophers football with one of the sales counter guys at a local package store. He'd had season tickets forever and was always hopeful (like us all). Michigan 2003 was really the start for us and bantering.

We' still connect in Coach Mason's last seasons into the Brewster era...all the way to Interim Coach Horton and that great Iowa victory.

He died of a heart attack shortly after Kill was hired. He liked Kill and was hopeful (as always). I miss our talks. It would be fun to have Duane around again...

Thanks for the thread MrC. Go Gophers!

6 November, 1999 would be the fan I wish would be at TCF BANK STADIUM on Saturday!

On Saturday I will attend the game with the son of a dear friend of mine we lost a couple years ago. He got me to buy season tickets Mason's first year. If he was still with us, he would be anticipating this game with a combination of excitement and anxiety. I have no doubt he would be a steadfast supporter of Jerry Kill. I am proud to host his son in his honor.

Anyone else have someone they wish could be there this Saturday?

This retired U.S. Navy Officer is perhaps the most loyal Golden Gopher Fan I have ever had the honor of knowing. During his Naval Career and following his retirement from the U.S. Navy, he had season tickets for our Golden Gopher Football Games. He was so incredibly generous with the tickets that he so seldom had the chance to use because of the great distances from the U of M. He still loves his Golden Gopher Football Team and he does contribute from time to time right here on GOPHER HOLE. I have had the honor of seeing a few football games with this Fan who also is a graduate of the U of M. I was in Columbus with he and his family in the Horse Shoe when the Gophers beat tOSU in 2000. I also was in Ann Arbor with this great fan and once again his wife and two sons when the Gophers defeated Michigan in 2005.

I will be hoping to witness a Gopher victory over the Badgers on Saturday and win or lose, I will be thinking of my good friend who I think just happens to be the MOST dedicated and loyal Golden Gopher Football Fan I have EVER had the honor of knowing! Here's to you 6 November, 1999! Your loyalty to Golden Gopher Football is unsurpassed. You purchased Season Tickets for DECADES that you knew you probably wouldn't be able to use yourself to support Golden Gopher Football. And you shared so many tickets to Gopher Football Games during the Dome years! I know of MANY folks who never met you who used your tickets because you wanted me to find fans who wanted to see Golden Gopher Football. Your generosity was...and is INCREDIBLE. I have NEVER known a more loyal Golden Gopher Football Fan.

SKI-U-MAH my friend! Beat the Badgers!

This retired U.S. Navy Officer is perhaps the most loyal Golden Gopher Fan I have ever had the honor of knowing. During his Naval Career and following his retirement from the U.S. Navy, he had season tickets for our Golden Gopher Football Games. He was so incredibly generous with the tickets that he so seldom had the chance to use because of the great distances from the U of M. He still loves his Golden Gopher Football Team and he does contribute from time to time right here on GOPHER HOLE. I have had the honor of seeing a few football games with this Fan who also is a graduate of the U of M. I was in Columbus with he and his family in the Horse Shoe when the Gophers beat tOSU in 2000. I also was in Ann Arbor with this great fan and once again his wife and two sons when the Gophers defeated Michigan in 2005.

I will be hoping to witness a Gopher victory over the Badgers on Saturday and win or lose, I will be thinking of my good friend who I think just happens to be the MOST dedicated and loyal Golden Gopher Football Fan I have EVER had the honor of knowing! Here's to you 6 November, 1999! Your loyalty to Golden Gopher Football is unsurpassed. You purchased Season Tickets for DECADES that you knew you probably wouldn't be able to use yourself to support Golden Gopher Football. And you shared so many tickets to Gopher Football Games during the Dome years! I know of MANY folks who never met you who used your tickets because you wanted me to find fans who wanted to see Golden Gopher Football. Your generosity was...and is INCREDIBLE. I have NEVER known a more loyal Golden Gopher Football Fan.

SKI-U-MAH my friend! Beat the Badgers!

+1. Right on target.

Go Gophers!

For me it's my brother Dan. We both graduated from Minnetonka a couple of years apart and I really didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated. I came about 5 minutes from being inducted into the Navy, I passed my physical and everything but there was some paperwork mix up and I didn't end up being processed that day. I had already applied and been accepted at the U which was where my brother was going. I came home that night and my dad and brother convinced me to go the college route instead. I stuck it out for 5 years and earned my B. A. in '92. My brother completed Grad School at the U before going onto CU - Boulder for his PhD and then getting a Chemistry Professor offer at Southern Illinois a couple of years before Kill started there.

I hadn't really been to a Gopher football game for several years until a friend invited me to the Northern Illinois game at TCF in 2009 where Kills team beat us but after that game I was hooked on TCF and Gopher football once again and I have been to 2-3 games every year since then. This was a bittersweet time for me because my brother had just been diagnosed with brain cancer around that time and I posted on his Caringbridge site that we were so bad NIU beat us and SIU would probably have beat us too.

My brother passed away on the day Coach Kill was hired, I was actually listening to Coach Kill's press conference on KFAN at work when my sister in law and sister called from Carbondale to say he has just passed away. She called literally right after Maturi spoke of how Coach Kill beat cancer and had started a fund down at SIU to help fight it to demonstrate what a great man Coach Kill was. Needless to say I was broken to pieces when this happened. I view this as his last message to me was to root for Kill and those who were more fortunate than him who beat cancer, the timing and connections were all too eerily ironic seeing that my brother and I not only had a connection through the U but now also through Coach Kill and SIU.

I wrote a letter to Coach Kill following this offering to volunteer if he ever started a cancer fund up here and Coach Kill graciously actually called me back and spoke to me for a few minutes, he is one heck of a guy.

My sister-in-law and my niece will be coming up here for Thanksgiving from Carbondale where she has continued to live, my brother would have come if he was still with us and I'd have given my sons ticket to him for the Badger game and we'd have gone together, no doubt in my mind since the game is the day after my birthday and he'd have wanted to check out TCF and to see that game, especially now that we have beer, even though he had become a CU football fan and Saluki basketball fan in the meantime. But you never lose being a fan of your home state's team and the place where you earned your degree.

Bring some magic to the team and Coach Kill for us on Saturday Dan, your nephew and brother want to storm the field and touch the axe. I promise to hoist a cold "non swill" beer in your name after the victory.

Can't wait to travel in several years to see the Gophers play at Boulder, wouldn't miss it for the world god willing and I'll be thinking of him the whole time.

Football was one of the things we spoke about most often about when he'd call to catch up, we'd undoubtedly talk about how the Vikings and Gophers were doing. I really miss those phone calls.

Sorry for the long winded response.

For me it's my brother Dan. We both graduated from Minnetonka a couple of years apart and I really didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated. I came about 5 minutes from being inducted into the Navy, I passed my physical and everything but there was some paperwork mix up and I didn't end up being processed that day. I had already applied and been accepted at the U which was where my brother was going. I came home that night and my dad and brother convinced me to go the college route instead. I stuck it out for 5 years and earned my B. A. in '92. My brother completed Grad School at the U before going onto CU - Boulder for his PhD and then getting a Chemistry Professor offer at Southern Illinois a couple of years before Kill started there.

I hadn't really been to a Gopher football game for several years until a friend invited me to the Northern Illinois game at TCF in 2009 where Kills team beat us but after that game I was hooked on TCF and Gopher football once again and I have been to 2-3 games every year since then. This was a bittersweet time for me because my brother had just been diagnosed with brain cancer around that time and I posted on his Caringbridge site that we were so bad NIU beat us and SIU would probably have beat us too.

My brother passed away on the day Coach Kill was hired, I was actually listening to Coach Kill's press conference on KFAN at work when my sister in law and sister called from Carbondale to say he has just passed away. She called literally right after Maturi spoke of how Coach Kill beat cancer and had started a fund down at SIU to help fight it to demonstrate what a great man Coach Kill was. Needless to say I was broken to pieces when this happened. I view this as his last message to me was to root for Kill and those who were more fortunate than him who beat cancer, the timing and connections were all too eerily ironic seeing that my brother and I not only had a connection through the U but now also through Coach Kill and SIU.

I wrote a letter to Coach Kill following this offering to volunteer if he ever started a cancer fund up here and Coach Kill graciously actually called me back and spoke to me for a few minutes, he is one heck of a guy.

My sister-in-law and my niece will be coming up here for Thanksgiving from Carbondale where she has continued to live, my brother would have come if he was still with us and I'd have given my sons ticket to him for the Badger game and we'd have gone together, no doubt in my mind since the game is the day after my birthday and he'd have wanted to check out TCF and to see that game, especially now that we have beer, even though he had become a CU football fan and Saluki basketball fan in the meantime. But you never lose being a fan of your home state's team and the place where you earned your degree.

Bring some magic to the team and Coach Kill for us on Saturday Dan, your nephew and brother want to storm the field and touch the axe. I promise to hoist a cold "non swill" beer in your name after the victory.

Can't wait to travel in several years to see the Gophers play at Boulder, wouldn't miss it for the world god willing and I'll be thinking of him the whole time.

Football was one of the things we spoke about most often about when he'd call to catch up, we'd undoubtedly talk about how the Vikings and Gophers were doing. I really miss those phone calls.

Sorry for the long winded response.

perhaps I shouldn't have been chopping onions while reading this post...... #stupidonions

Top Bottom