For the Stargazers

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
If Kill starts to get MN kids and others committed this early, will it affect the number of stars a kid gets and the perception of the class? For instance if Rallis and McDonald make it known to not even recruit them, how will that affect their ratings to only have 1-2 offers?

It does not effect them if they are evaluated by a site. Offers are really only a determinant of how they are rated if they never get evaluated. By that logic there is no way Sam Maresh could have been a 4-star as he committed about as early as you can. Didn't Lamonte Edwards commit pretty early too?

If Kill starts to get MN kids and others committed this early, will it affect the number of stars a kid gets and the perception of the class? For instance if Rallis and McDonald make it known to not even recruit them, how will that affect their ratings to only have 1-2 offers?

Of course I see this after I respond in the other thread... ;)

It'll probably hurt their rankings (just look at Olson) but what are you going to do?

It does not effect them if they are evaluated by a site. Offers are really only a determinant of how they are rated if they never get evaluated. By that logic there is no way Sam Maresh could have been a 4-star as he committed about as early as you can. Didn't Lamonte Edwards commit pretty early too?

Gjere and Edwards both committed in March of their junior years, and both were 4-stars.

Some people (not you, Maxy) really like to propagate the myth that offer lists determine rankings.

Some people (not you, Maxy) really like to propagate the myth that offer lists determine rankings.

Is it really a myth though? I'm not a huge recruitnik which is why I ask. I'd always been under the impression that officially or not offers did play a role.

I think most already have a feel for who the states top prospects are, with one or two that surprise one way or another.

I am simply thankful for players like McDonald who are genuinely excited enough to commit early.

Where will Rallis and McDonald rank as far as the top players in the state?

I've heard people say they do anecdotally but, and I don't mean to be rude here, it frequently seems to be people trying to talk up low ranked classes. I don't know how you'd begin charting something like that. Maybe comparing the star rankings of players before and after helmet school offers over time? Even then I'm not sure if a correlation would mean much as those rankings change as the services learn more about the recruits and obviously top programs tend to recruit very good players.

Offers do play a role in that good programs tend to make offers and receive commitments to better players. There is a definite positive correlation. There is not a causation relationship.

I've heard people say they do anecdotally but, and I don't mean to be rude here, it frequently seems to be people trying to talk up low ranked classes. I don't know how you'd begin charting something like that. Maybe comparing the star rankings of players before and after helmet school offers over time? Even then I'm not sure if a correlation would mean much as those rankings change as the services learn more about the recruits and obviously top programs tend to recruit very good players.

I think the anecdotal examples are what I saw and incorporated into my understanding of the rankings. It's probably pretty easy to see situations where a kid's ranking improves once OSU offers him. That doesn't mean that kids without the OSU offer are intentionally ranked lower because of it. In other words, the anecdotal examples I was aware of are probably a better example of "star inflation" rather than systematic tinkering with the rankings.

And ultimately I agree with calminnfan. Better to lock up the guys who bleed M&G early.

Is it really a myth though? I'm not a huge recruitnik which is why I ask. I'd always been under the impression that officially or not offers did play a role.

I don't doubt that it does in some cases. The problem I have is with people who throw a blanket statement on it and treat it as an absolute. There have been plenty of players with offers from every big-time program who are 3-stars. There are also plenty of 4- and 5-star players with a fairly meager offer list.

There is also the well-worn cliché that "he'd have been a 4-star if only [Ohio St., USC, Alabama, Texas] had offered him" - complete with sarcastic eye-roll. The problem with this logic is that all of these schools sign several 3- and 2-star players each year. If you took these people at face value, you would assume a school like Ohio St. signs 6 5-stars and 19 4-stars every year. Just this year alone, Ohio St. signed 12 3-stars and one 2-star. Ten of those 12 3-stars had a dozen or more BCS offers from all over the country. Hell, even their 2-star had offers from Arkansas, UNC, and Notre Dame. That's one hell of a 2-star!

I think the problem is that some people assume that players are rated highly because they signed with certain schools. Rather, those schools are good because they sign good players. I don't know why it's tough for some to believe that powerhouse schools hit with recruits more often than they miss.

I don't doubt that it does in some cases. The problem I have is with people who throw a blanket statement on it and treat it as an absolute. There have been plenty of players with offers from every big-time program who are 3-stars. There are also plenty of 4- and 5-star players with a fairly meager offer list.

There is also the well-worn cliché that "he'd have been a 4-star if only [Ohio St., USC, Alabama, Texas] had offered him" - complete with sarcastic eye-roll. The problem with this logic is that all of these schools sign several 3- and 2-star players each year. If you took these people at face value, you would assume a school like Ohio St. signs 6 5-stars and 19 4-stars every year. Just this year alone, Ohio St. signed 12 3-stars and one 2-star. Ten of those 12 3-stars had a dozen or more BCS offers from all over the country. Hell, even their 2-star had offers from Arkansas, UNC, and Notre Dame. That's one hell of a 2-star!

I think the problem is that some people assume that players are rated highly because they signed with certain schools. Rather, those schools are good because they sign good players. I don't know why it's tough for some to believe that powerhouse schools hit with recruits more often than they miss.

Good post. This is partly why it bothers me when people say Kill took a beating on the recruiting trail. I think Kill would sign a zero star if he thought he would better the team.

Star Light

Good post. This is partly why it bothers me when people say Kill took a beating on the recruiting trail. I think Kill would sign a zero star if he thought he would better the team.

He just did with Cedric Thompson. I am sure people will have all kinds of opinion about that, most of them wrong. Let the games begin! (P.S. Kill does not recruit by star light nor does he check here to see how a player is rated by us. Smart Man!

Good summary and backs up that I wasn't putting a lot of thought to the anecdotal stuff I'd heard.

He just did with Cedric Thompson. I am sure people will have all kinds of opinion about that, most of them wrong. Let the games begin! (P.S. Kill does not recruit by star light nor does he check here to see how a player is rated by us. Smart Man!

I see close up 2-3 HS games and a college game a week and I have no clue if a player is any good.

Does the offer list make the player? Or does the player make the offer list?....heavy man.

This thread pretty much sums up how stupid the whole "fantasy star" thing is.

How anyone gets so hot and bothered about this stuff I will never know???????

Just read this thread and the entire logic behind fantasy star recruiting is pretty much debunked...debased and derailed. Really it is all so amusing and simple-minded. I guess that this thread pretty much totally explains everything anyone would ever need to know about fantasy football recruitment rankings. I hope they start charging a heck of a lot more for this "deep" and "meaningful" stuff. Sometimes words can just not explain how stupid something is.

; 0 )

Just read this thread and the entire logic behind fantasy star recruiting is pretty much debunked...debased and derailed. Really it is all so amusing and simple-minded. I guess that this thread pretty much totally explains everything anyone would ever need to know about fantasy football recruitment rankings. I hope they start charging a heck of a lot more for this "deep" and "meaningful" stuff. Sometimes words can just not explain how stupid something is.

; 0 )

Your post was probably the most "hot and bothered" posting in this entire thread.

; 0 )

Look in the mirror, you get more worked up than anyone about this.

Player make the player son ain't nuthin anyone can do bout it. Players equal NCs, man, thats what this U about now.

You are from Miramar, Florida so you must be connected to Steven Montgomery. I love the passion and you are absolutely right about the player making the player.

"If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude." ~Colin Powell

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle

You are from Miramar, Florida so you must be connected to Steven Montgomery.

Steve's my cuz. He told me about Minny and I'm like yeah son. Vikings, baby! You gonna win big ten titles, then you gonna win national titles, then you goin to The League, son! That's what this U is about now.

Top Bottom