For the rational...

From the Barn

Reaction score
I'm assuming there are a few of you big picture, long view people left, the season is far from over.
A 10-8 record in the conference should still be enough for to make the tournament. Yes, Penn State missed out with a 10-8 record last season, but their best win was probably Mt. St. Mary's. The win over Butler is much better than that.

The Gophers obviously need 7 more wins.

The Gimmes:
Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, NU, all at home

Gimme just one:
Purdue, Michigan State, Wisconsin

Two will do:
@ OSU, @ NU, @ Michigan @ PSU @ IL

If they can't get 10 wins they really don't deserve to make the tournament anyway.

I'm assuming there are a few of you big picture, long view people left, the season is far from over.
A 10-8 record in the conference should still be enough for to make the tournament. Yes, Penn State missed out with a 10-8 record last season, but their best win was probably Mt. St. Mary's. The win over Butler is much better than that.

The Gimmes:

Gimme just one:

Two will do:

If they can't get 10 wins they really don't deserve to make the tournament anyway.

+1 on everything thing you said

Also, lost in the complaints is the fact that we had a remarkable comeback in regulation.

+1 on everything thing you said

Also, lost in the complaints is the fact that we had a remarkable comeback in regulation.

And getting a third "maybe" road win would make up for today's loss. Illinois is beatable, well..without that strange voodoo that the Gophers have to overcome.

I think we have 50-50 against Wisky at the Barn. Suppose we have 30% of chance to beat MSU at the Barn and suppose further the same against Purdue. Then, there is 51% of chance to beat at least one of them, MSU and Purdue, at the Barn.

I think it is quite doable at PSU and at Michigan (quite inconsistent). Northwestern is a fair game.

If we beat Wisky and either Purdue or MSU, 10 BT wins should suffice.

I think we still need to get to 11-7, but there are still paths to that. I figured 7-2 at home 4-5 on the road. Yes, I was certainly hoping this would be one of the 4, but stuff happens. We now need to either sweep PSU, Michigan, NW or steal one at OSU or Illinois

The Gimmes:

Gimme just one:

Two will do:

Agree with you completely, especially the part I bold-faced. I'm not one of those folks who whines when a team on the bubble doesn't get selected to the NCAAs. My view is that if you didn't want to be on the bubble, you should have played better during the season.

As for today's result, the biggest thing that I'm worried about is that these guys go into a funk and let it last for the next few games. If that happens and we lose a few in a row, our ship will be sunk. So the next few out are going to be very very important imo.

I think we still need to get to 11-7, but there are still paths to that. I figured 7-2 at home 4-5 on the road. Yes, I was certainly hoping this would be one of the 4, but stuff happens. We now need to either sweep PSU, Michigan, NW or steal one at OSU or Illinois

4-5 on the road in the biased BT is impossible. We better get to 8 home BT wins, as there is no excuse to lose both to Purdue and Mich. St., especially considering that the refs have makeup games to make for @Purdue, and @IU (and @MSU? - didn't see it, but heard rumors it was the same ol' same ol' crap).

The Gimmes:

Gimme just one:

Two will do:

Agreed. It's always better to play yourself into a tourney rather than to back into it.

And give Joseph credit for putting up some clutch shots both in regulation and OT. One of the bright spots in an ugly road game.

I figured 7-2 at home 4-5 on the road. Yes, I was certainly hoping this would be one of the 4, but stuff happens.
I thought pretty much the same thing. I was even dreaming of 8-1 at home. Hell with it, I'm going to keep letting myself believe it. Why not?

Nope.

Nope. The optimism has been wrung right out of me today. If we can't win at Indiana, going forward what road game can we win?

Gimmes? Iowa at the barn I suppose. Beyond that there are no gimmes.

The lads actually seem to be less than they were last year.

This was a BAD loss no matter how you slice and dice it.

The Gimmes:

Gimme just one:

Two will do:

If they win the gimmies, Purdue at home, at at PSU and NU and that is it, I dont think they deserve to be in. Unless they get 2 B10 tourney wins.

I really thought they " got " it after the Michigan St and Purdue losses and they would have known the kind of effort they needed against every team, every game, every minute, every play. However, I guardedly say, that this loss can serve them well going forward. We're going to have a gigantic chip on our shoulder for Michigan St. Let's hope they use it.

If they win the gimmies, Purdue at home, at at PSU and NU and that is it, I dont think they deserve to be in. Unless they get 2 B10 tourney wins.

Luckily plenty of teams get in that don't "deserve" it. They aren't going to have a 58 team tournament.

>>The lads actually seem to be less than they were last year.<<

Lacking a go-to scorer and a rebounding machine, we're just not as good as we like to think we are. Do we have anyone resembling an all-conference first-teamer? I mean seriously.

For this year, we are what we are. For next year, maturity, added experience, and another good recruiting class should pay off.

If Eliason and Hollins are it, White and Mbwake don't suit up, as well as the loss of Johnson and Westbrook, then I'm a little concerned going forward. If White and Mbwake see the court next year and the other Joseph comes we are in business.

The present situation has a bit of urgency to it. We could be struggling to be in the top half of the conference for the next year and a half, we can rebound and salvage the season, and there's a possibility of having a two year window to winning a conference title.

What about the Junior College route? Are all the big names signed?

Oh please no. Not intending to disrespect our guys but Bostick, Carter, and Mbakwe, haven't exactly lit the world on fire. Trevor is a completely different situation, but waiting for the other two to come around has exactly been great.

Oh please no. Not intending to disrespect our guys but Bostick, Carter, and Mbakwe, haven't exactly lit the world on fire. Trevor is a completely different situation, but waiting for the other two to come around has exactly been great.
lol, I hear you. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like our chances on Cory Joseph. There has been some very good Gophers who came out of JC schools.

>>Oh please no. Not intending to disrespect our guys, but...<<

You're slighting Bobby Jackson and at least several other outstanding juco transfers from each of the last four decades.

You're slighting Bobby Jackson and at least several other outstanding juco transfers from each of the last four decades.

No. I am not. For the ones that really, really, work out well how many don't?

More names to remember: Clyde Turner, Ron Behagen, Ray Williams, and on and on...

The Gimmes:

Gimme just one:

Two will do:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PSU win at MSU last year? That win should've gone a long way, yet they missed out ... call me a pessimist, but I don't think 10-8 gets them in ... 11-7 is a must, I think. Also, can we call the home games vs. NW and Mich. gimmes?

In the big ten their are no gimme games, unless you are playing Iowa. Thought IU was close to that though. If they do not start playing better this could could be the year when tubby does not win 20 games. I think we end up winning 6 of 7 of those home games. But hard seeing us winning on the road, maybe see one out of the five, but not 2. Overachieving one year, underachieving this year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PSU win at MSU last year? That win should've gone a long way, yet they missed out ... call me a pessimist, but I don't think 10-8 gets them in ... 11-7 is a must, I think. Also, can we call the home games vs. NW and Mich. gimmes?
Read what I wrote.

Nobody wants to go digging for JC diamonds in the ruff. If we don't have those three, we would need to do some patch.

>>Nobody wants to go digging for JC diamonds in the ruff.<<

Not every program needs to, but plenty of good coaches go that route every year to find stars or to fill out rosters.

The talent level at the juco national tourney is better than at many D-I programs. Why ignore them?

A lot of players get written off as not good enough for the Big Ten. There have been a lot of players with that label who we could have used. Think of some of the guys Monson missed from NDSU and even Winona.

Read what I wrote.

From the Barn, I know you like to be smarter than the rest of us, but as I am reading it, I see no mention of best NON-CONFERENCE win ... their best wins were at MSU & Ill. and beating Purdue at home.

Top Bottom