For anyone interested in Ray McCallum

GopherLady

Reaction score
He is going to announce his college decision tomorrow at 4pm on ESPNU.

It's down to Kansas or Detroit (where his dad coaches), isn't it? I know Minnesota was among the schools he listed as having once had interest in, but he narrowed his choices down long ago, right?

Arizona is my pick.

http://www.examiner.com/x-9504-Louisville-High-School-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d10-QA-Ray-McCallum

McCallum: Right now I'm down to four schools. I'm looking at UCLA, Florida, Arizona and the University of Detroit. I got a chance to watch all four teams play this year and I really liked what I saw with all four. Right now I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in the best.
Johnston: What is the biggest factor for you when it comes to making your decision on where to play college basketball?
McCallum: I would have to say playing time. I want to go somewhere where I can come in and play my game. I also want to go somewhere where we can win. Another big factor is my relationship with the coach.
Johnston: Are you leaning towards a school or are all four of those schools even right now?
McCallum: All four of those schools are even right now.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that it was Arizona, not Kansas. I want to say that he'll play for his dad at Detroit, but my gut instinct tells me it'll be Arizona.

Arizona is my pick.

http://www.examiner.com/x-9504-Louisville-High-School-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d10-QA-Ray-McCallum

McCallum: Right now I'm down to four schools. I'm looking at UCLA, Florida, Arizona and the University of Detroit. I got a chance to watch all four teams play this year and I really liked what I saw with all four. Right now I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in the best.
Johnston: What is the biggest factor for you when it comes to making your decision on where to play college basketball?
McCallum: I would have to say playing time. I want to go somewhere where I can come in and play my game. I also want to go somewhere where we can win. Another big factor is my relationship with the coach.
Johnston: Are you leaning towards a school or are all four of those schools even right now?
McCallum: All four of those schools are even right now.

I realize most of this is "player/recruit speak", but if you take his words at face value, i.e. the most important things to him are playing time and the relationship with the coach, how could he not pick Detroit?

I would think playing time there is ample and the coach is his dad!

Possibly... there are many kids who don't enjoy playing for their father, especially in college.

It'll be Detroit. Arizona fans aren't the least bit optimistic.

ESPN also has a teaser that Brandon Knight will pick tomorrow (I am not an insider so not sure of the details). Seems like they are trying to make this a "selection show" like the NCAA tourney selection show. I wonder if Mo will make an appearance on this show? That would be cool.

On ESPNU, there will be a number of players and coaches on from around 3pm - 5pm central.... including expected decisions from Brandon Knight, Trey Zeigler, Ray McCallum and (2011) Michael Gilchrist. Knight is expected to start things off at 3pm.

Is this why all these recruits are being so quiet about their choices? So they can be on this show?

Is this why all these recruits are being so quiet about their choices? So they can be on this show?

Announcing is not apparently what gets you on ESPNU tomorrow, since Jared Sullinger and Harrison Barnes are both expected to make appearances as well.

With Ray and Ziegler both choosing family over big name programs, it will be interesting to see if family sways the move of any other highly touted recruits still yet to sign.

It will also be interesting to see if the expanded field to 96 teams starts a trend where more highly rated players choose mid-major programs as the chances of going to the Dance will be greater than before.

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:
It will also be interesting to see if the expanded field to 96 teams starts a trend where more highly rated players choose mid-major programs as the chances of going to the Dance will be greater than before.

I think this theory might hold water. Makes sense to me. Many other things like increased TV coverage across the board, not just for the big-name programs, is also adding to this.

Yep. I had concluded that our coaches have long thought that McCallum was likely to stay home and play for his dad, after Tubby made that trip out to Detroit this winter to speak at McCallum's coaching clinic, and then not long after that it seemed like we basically stopped recruiting McCallum.

Top Bottom