For anyone driving down to Florida for the game or otherwise....

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
.... our drive from Nashville Tennessee to the Florida border today was horrible (and it was a Sunday)! 350 miles in 7 hours. That was an avearage of 50 miles an hour. There is just too much volume for the limitted roads at this time of year.

.... our drive from Nashville Tennessee to the Florida border today was horrible (and it was a Sunday)! 350 miles in 7 hours. That was an avearage of 50 miles an hour. There is just too much volume for the limitted roads at this time of year.

My sister went down before Christmas and seemed to have a similar amount of traffic (all the way from MN)

You should have acted like a true MN fan and left before the traffic got bad.
Did you ever think that on Sunday after the holiday that people would be going to and fro just like you? Or be a real MN fan again and claim the traffic was a plot designed to harm just you.

I feel like this time between Christmas and New Years is the official migration of the snowbirds to Florida. Living in Atlanta, I’ve done the drive down to Orlando a few times. My son has a lacrosse tournament just outside of Orlando this weekend. It took us nine hours of driving on Friday to make it to our hotel. That’s about 90 minutes longer than it has ever taken us. Traffic was brutal. Traffic has been bad all weekend. Plus restaurants and grocery stores crowded as heck. For those in the Twin Cities, do not underestimate how much the lack of crazy traffic adds to the quality of life.

We often go to Orlando from Minnesota via flying to Atlanta since there's friends and family there. Over 30 years of going to Florida for a few weeks in the summer I've decided to go this route from Atlanta:

I-75 South from Atlanta to Macon
I-16 East from Macon to Savannah
I-95 South from Savannah to just south of Daytona-New Smyrna Beach
I-4 West from Daytona to Orlando on to Tampa (in this case)

This is absolutely longer mile-wise. Our usual destination is Cocoa Beach so we just keep going south on I-95 to get to it (and don't travel on I-4). What is good is that I-95 is at a minimum 3 lanes wide and is often 4 or even 5 lanes in one direction. Even with 3 lanes long stretches of I-75 are just not moving quick and there are just a lot of trucks. I-4 is not a problem until the other side of Orlando but by then you're almost home.

Offered late in the planning cycle but an alternative. Of course works in reverse for the trip home.

Last edited:

We got tired of all the slow traffic and stopped in Valdosta last night. It really is brutal if you are not used to this level of traffic.

If taking I-75 back through Georgia consider a quick stop at Andersonville National Historic Site and National POW Museum. Here's the link:

View attachment 6841

Takes about 2 hours to do the basic visit. Also a nice drive in the countryside off the interstate.

You gave us this advice on our way to the Citrus Bowl and we did that. It was an incredible experience and well worth it. We visited the Minnesota gravesites and went through the POW museum. Quite honestly, if one has time, it’s a must see IMO. We’ve stopped at Chickamauga (Ft. Oglethorpe, GA) Battlefield outside of Chattanooga before as well. Nice monument to the 2nd Minnesota on Snodgrass Hill.

Did the drive from Nashville to Gainesville today, too. Atlanta driving is brutal, even on a Sunday. I will not repeat that again. But our stop at the Varsity by Georgia Tech was really neat. Also stopped at a barbecue joint in Tifton where Bateman is from. Our waitress said her husband was Rashod’s first coach.

Did the drive from Nashville to Gainesville today, too. Atlanta driving is brutal, even on a Sunday. I will not repeat that again. But our stop at the Varsity by Georgia Tech was really neat. Also stopped at a barbecue joint in Tifton where Bateman is from. Our waitress said her husband was Rashod’s first coach.
It used to be at The Varsity for your order to hear..."Whatdayahave...whatdayahave...whatdayahave?" Any type of dog walking was an appropriate response.

Before MrsBilld was MrsBilld taking her to The Varsity in Athens was our first date. I told her she could have anything she wanted. She ordered a chicken salad sandwich. Took almost 20 minutes. I think they had to kill the chicken to do the order. Obviously I got past it.

We are on the road now and just entered Florida. Drove straight through the night with no traffic issues at all. Monday morning Atlanta traffic was still moving at 70-80 mph.

We are on the road now and just entered Florida. Drove straight through the night with no traffic issues at all. Monday morning Atlanta traffic was still moving at 70-80 mph.

Good plan. My drive to Tampa today was very good as well.

Funny. We also stopped for BBQ in Tifton for the very same reason. Hogs N Bones?

Number 1 rule in Hotlanta is to drive as fast on the interstate as everybody else no matter the posted speed limit. Outside the metro is a different animal.

Number 1 rule in Hotlanta is to drive as fast on the interstate as everybody else no matter the posted speed limit. Outside the metro is a different animal.
True! Last year driving thru Hotlanta, there was a wheelbarrow in the center lane with cars dodging it like a nascar event! A few miles further on I witnessed a kayak lifting off a car and landing in the road spurring another round of dodging and positioning! Great fun!

True! Last year driving thru Hotlanta, there was a wheelbarrow in the center lane with cars dodging it like a nascar event! A few miles further on I witnessed a kayak lifting off a car and landing in the road spurring another round of dodging and positioning! Great fun!
I used to be surprised by these random road obstacles when I first moved down to Atlanta in 2005. I’ve become so accustomed to them now that they don’t even faze me anymore. So this gave me a laugh. I have a long commute into work every day that takes me from the north end of the metro to the south. Often I go right through the city on 75/85. It’s common to see mattresses, lawn chairs, couches, ladders... Any assortment of things directly in the road or sitting just off the highway. And the number of stalled/abandoned cars along the road is something you would never see in Minnesota. Cars up there need to be reliable or you’re gonna have big problems with the weather.

Last edited:

I used to be surprised by these random road obstacles when I first moved down to Atlanta in 2005. I’ve become so accustomed to them now that they don’t even phase me anymore. So this gave me a laugh. I have a long commute into work every day that takes me from the north end of the metro to the south. Often I go right through the city on 75/85. It’s common to see mattresses, lawn chairs, couches, ladders... Any assortment of things directly in the road or sitting just off the highway. And the number of stalled/abandoned cars along the road is something you would never see in Minnesota. Cars up there need to be reliable or you’re gonna have big problems with the weather.
I don’t understand why people continue to live way up in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and endure a long commute every day. At some point that has to be miserable right?

I don’t understand why people continue to live way up in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and endure a long commute every day. At some point that has to be miserable right?
There are a lot of reasons. For my family it was the place we first landed when we moved here. All my wife’s friends and activities are in this area. My office moved locations from the north end of the 285 loop to south of the city five years ago. Even before that my commute was about 45 minutes. Now it’s closer to 90 minutes. Having grown up and had an early professional life in Minneapolis, the two most polarizing things about moving to Atlanta, assuming you have a family, are the traffic and the schools. I chose to bite the bullet on the traffic. All the public schools in our area are outstanding. Elementary through high school they are ranked at or near the top in the state. But there are so many sketchy schools in all parts of the metro it’s very hard to find that. I’ve had friends that had kids in a great elementary school but had to move when they reached middle school age as the middle school was atrocious. Private schools are extremely popular here for that reason. They are everywhere. With four children I’m not able to go that route, but have many friends that choose to do that.

There are a lot of reasons. For my family it was the place we first landed when we moved here. All my wife’s friends and activities are in this area. My office moved locations from the north end of the 285 loop to south of the city five years ago. Even before that my commute was about 45 minutes. Now it’s closer to 90 minutes. Having grown up and had an early professional life in Minneapolis, the two most polarizing things about moving to Atlanta, assuming you have a family, are the traffic and the schools. I chose to bite the bullet on the traffic. All the public schools in our area are outstanding. Elementary through high school they are ranked at or near the top in the state. But there are so many sketchy schools in all parts of the metro it’s very hard to find that. I’ve had friends that had kids in a great elementary school but had to move when they reached middle school age as the middle school was atrocious. Private schools are extremely popular here for that reason. They are everywhere. With four children I’m not able to go that route, but have many friends that choose to do that.
90 minute commute? Hell to the no.

I like your priorities Bulldog!

90 minute commute? Hell to the no.
The time it takes away from family is a real bummer. Something I’m certain I’ll regret. However, I’m fortunate that my employer allows for me to be in a really nice car (which makes a huge difference) and I’m able to pass the time with a lot of podcasts. I always look forward to the Gopher Gridiron podcast that Ryan Burns puts out. Especially when Derek Burns joins them. I’m always incredibly impressed with Derek’s ability to breakdown game situations and adjustments. A really eloquent and well-spoken guy. I’m not sure what he does for his day job, but would bet he is extremely successful at it.

The time it takes away from family is a real bummer. Something I’m certain I’ll regret. However, I’m fortunate that my employer allows for me to be in a really nice car (which makes a huge difference) and I’m able to pass the time with a lot of podcasts. I always look forward to the Gopher Gridiron podcast that Ryan Burns puts out. Especially when Derek Burns joins them. I’m always incredibly impressed with Derek’s ability to breakdown game situations and adjustments. A really eloquent and well-spoken guy. I’m not sure what he does for his day job, but would bet he is extremely successful at it.

It seems that the sacrifice of time with the family is the cost not of the drive to work, but that cost goes to getting the best affordable education available for your family. Be there with them when you can. When you cannot span time/distance to be in two places at once know that the long term 13 year investment in getting that better level of education will make a huge difference.

I believe in balance, but it is important to ensure that what is being balanced actually lies on the ledger. Sacrificing family time for the growth potential of individuals in the family strikes me as a good investment.

Top Bottom