For all you old timers, and Frenchie...

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
Quote from Brewster today at the lunch-in:

"I want the fans to be standing the whole game."

I know I will be, and all of you I pray will follow. lets make this place one of the hardest places to play.

Frenchie, bring your slice of pie but at least stand...

Is the saying here here or hear hear? Either way, I am in complete agreement with this and I love it. Let's rock the Bank.

The coach wants you to stand, regardless if you bring pie or have your own loaf

More importantly, Coach Brewster said something to the effect of "If the people in front of you stand up, it's clearly because there's something exciting going on. So don't yell at them to sit down, get up and cheer!"

Someone can direct quote it if they want but I thought it cool that he actually said something about the people who yell at others to sit down.

"I know I will be, and all of you I pray will follow"..this is what you pray for?:confused:

The Coach gets paid nearly a million dollars a year to stand and give fans a reason to. We'll do what we always do, let the game dictate when we stand. I don't get people who refuse to stand for any play but I admit to be being bemused by people who talk about standing all the time as if it's something to be mandated or noble.

Or, as referenced above something God should be involved in.

We stand often during a game. Two guys standing, drinking beverages, talking about what happened the night before, yelling at people behind them? That's noble and involved?

Please.

If Brewster gets the team to win their Home games, get leads and not piss them away, gets some damn Fourth Quarter STOPS on Defense and people will be standing a LOT!

Save your prayers for your family and friends.

Frenchie, bring your slice of pie but at least stand...

I'm am pleased that on comment about a group of fools playing a drinking game has resulted in me becoming a joke for this community. I take a back seat to nobody when it comes to support for the University and its football program. I'll be there at every game, as I have been for the past 40 years. Standing the entire game won't be a problem for me.

Steve French...you're not a joke by anymeans. It just came off really bad that you wanted to turn in people playing drinking games. Let the U of M security do their jobs. From what I saw last weekend there will be quite a few roaming around the lots.
And if you do bring pie to the games what kind would you bring?

I'm am pleased that on comment about a group of fools playing a drinking game has resulted in me becoming a joke for this community. I take a back seat to nobody when it comes to support for the University and its football program. I'll be there at every game, as I have been for the past 40 years. Standing the entire game won't be a problem for me.

You're getting drilled on the board because you're planning on imposing your style of tailgating on everyone else. Yes, I get the U established rules against flip cup. They did so to provide a basis by which troublemakers could be held accountable. It also protects them against claims that they are encouraging binge drinking. But if you honestly think the U cares about its over 21 year old fans playing flip cup or bags or beer pong while they tailgate then you're crazy.

The fact that you're taking the time to label your fellow Gopher fans as fools and troublemakers before ever meeting them says a lot more about you. And that's why you're getting ridiculed.

We stand often during a game. Two guys standing, drinking beverages, talking about what happened the night before, yelling at people behind them? That's noble and involved?

Please.

+1

"I know I will be, and all of you I pray will follow"..this is what you pray for?:confused:

The Coach gets paid nearly a million dollars a year to stand and give fans a reason to. We'll do what we always do, let the game dictate when we stand. I don't get people who refuse to stand for any play but I admit to be being bemused by people who talk about standing all the time as if it's something to be mandated or noble.

Or, as referenced above something God should be involved in.

Please.

If Brewster gets the team to win their Home games, get leads and not piss them away, gets some damn Fourth Quarter STOPS on Defense and people will be standing a LOT!

Save your prayers for your family and friends.

Well said Ice. That's what I was used to in our section in the damn dome. Give me a reason to stand up and get excited.

I hope our new section at TCF doesn't have some guy(s) who thinks standing is the "cool" thing to do.

Performers received standing O's for great performances.

Bring it!!

Steve French's pie bit is taken from a letter on the Memorial Stadium website. The whole thing is an act.

Anyway, I think people should be standing, creates a proper atmosphere now that we're not under the teflon sky.

Well said Ice. That's what I was used to in our section in the damn dome. Give me a reason to stand up and get excited.

I hope our new section at TCF doesn't have some guy(s) who thinks standing is the "cool" thing to do.

Performers received standing O's for great performances.

Bring it!!

I agree as well. I stood more than most in my section at the Dome, but I standing all game when you're not in the student section when there isn't anything to be excited about is just rude to those around you.

That said, I love that Brew is calling out the fans to be more enthusiastic. I think we can all agree that even when the occasion called for it folks in the Dome had a tendency to sit on their hands.

Pray was just a word that was typed, sorry guys! what I really pray for is a rose bowl before I die...aint that the truth.

But, I do not agree with standing for EVERY play, but i know some players personally, and it feeds them energy to make big plays if the crowd is into it and being loud and creating a crazy atmosphere, and a huge part of creating that atmosphere is by standing and being loud.

So as a fan, I will do 110% to create that vibe to give the Gophers that edge, while being 'respectful and mindful' to those around us and not being the dousche who stands 100% of the plays. but any play with meaning, and in pregame I will be standing and cheering for the gophs, you can take that to the bank.

AND I think 'The Bank' has become the official nickname. Its used by most everyone, dont really like it but o well.

and Frenchie, thank you for your support of our team. Be a fan, not a cop, thank you!

I agree as well. I stood more than most in my section at the Dome, but I standing all game when you're not in the student section when there isn't anything to be excited about is just rude to those around you.

That said, I love that Brew is calling out the fans to be more enthusiastic. I think we can all agree that even when the occasion called for it folks in the Dome had a tendency to sit on their hands.

Completely agree. I have met buffoons who stand the entire game and are more focused on getting everyone around them to stand up than what is actually occurring on the field. And they live for the moment when someone tells them to sit down. Usually during a TV timeout. Then the testosterone starts flowing and they berate the polite couple who asked them to sit down for the next 10 minutes and belt out smart quips like "If you want to sit, then stay home and watch TV (heh heh)!!" Of course, play has resumed and now buffoon has missed 10-12 consecutive plays.

Gopher fans, don't be that guy. If you want to stand during big plays and goal line stances, I'm with you. But if you absolutely feel the need to stand for the entire game, get a seat in the last row or go get a seat in the student section.

Why would anyone want to stand for an entire game? It's fun to get on your feet on third down and on big plays....but when Purdue is down 28-6 with 3:40 left in the third quarter, do we really need to be on our feet when they have it 1st and 10 at their own 36?

When to stand:

1. First defensive series of the game.
2. EVERY third down (if we are still in the game).
3. First defensive series of the second half.
4. When a big play happens on either side of the ball.
5. The first defensive series of the 4th quarter. Yes the whole series. This is the time to let the team know we are there.
6. Left one out...when the team comes out of the tunnel to begin the game and at halftime, but I think that is pretty much common sense.

These are mandatory.

When to stand:

1. First defensive series of the game.
2. EVERY third down (if we are still in the game).
3. First defensive series of the second half.
4. When a big play happens on either side of the ball.
5. The first defensive series of the 4th quarter. Yes the whole series. This is the time to let the team know we are there.
6. Left one out...when the team comes out of the tunnel to begin the game and at halftime, but I think that is pretty much common sense.

These are mandatory.

7.I would add obvious passing downs 1st and 20, 2nd and 20
8.after touchdowns(obvious, but you'd be suprised how many sit during the rouser)
9.Goal line/Red zone situations on D, give the boys some noise for that goal line stand
10.After a turnover, try to keep energy and noise high for the D regardless of momentum shift in game

Top Bottom