For 2023 [Year 7] to be Deemed a Success

Wooty_Woot

Banned
Reaction score
It's very simple! Beat IA, WI and NE, AND beat at least three P5 teams who finish the season with winning records. Is that too f--king much to ask?? Ostensibly, this goal could be met by going 3-9 if the aforementioned Three Stooges end up with winning records and we beat all three, but that probability is nil. No, if we do both of the previously mentioned items, 2023 will end well and we'll be looking good for 2024. Are there even living Gopher fans that have seen us win in Kinnick? It's time and an 0-7 mark vs. the hogs for genuFleck is absolutely unacceptable.

It's very simple! Beat IA, WI and NE, AND beat at least three P5 teams who finish the season with winning records. Is that too f--king much to ask?? Ostensibly, this goal could be met by going 3-9 if the aforementioned Three Stooges end up with winning records and we beat all three, but that probability is nil. No, if we do both of the previously mentioned items, 2023 will end well and we'll be looking good for 2024. Are there even living Gopher fans that have seen us win in Kinnick? It's time and an 0-7 mark vs. the hogs for genuFleck is absolutely unacceptable.
I've seen three.

Who is defining what "success" means?

in theory, every person who follows Gopher FB could have their own definition of success.

which means that there is no real or definitive answer to the OP.

But, just for sh*ts and giggles, I will offer this:

If I had to bet my own money, I would say the Gophers go 7-5 or 8-4 in the regular season.
best case scenario 9-3. worst case scenario 6-6.

just too many variables to narrow it down. Injuries being the big one.

Winning the tallest midget division of the Big would be nice. 2 losses are almost a given. Split with Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska. 8-4 ?

9 wins again… to get to 9 means they would have to beat some good teams… this past year soft 9th win against a bad team in a bad bowl… 9 wins next year has the potential to be a nice season with good wins… each season is different 9 wins this year was a soft fluffy 9… IMO

Comedy gold!

More seriously: Seasons are LONG and I don’t know how anyone thinks they know what this team can or can’t do this coming fall enough to make a statement like “this season is / isn’t a success if X”.

The metric for me as far as a winning season has always been the same; Win the games you should, and steal 1 or 2 that you shouldn't. It won't change next year, only the opponents will change, and which games they should win will change.

I would say with as much as they are replacing offensively 5-4 in conference and 2-1 non conference would be a success.

7-5 could be disappointing but also a success.

The metric for me as far as a winning season has always been the same; Win the games you should, and steal 1 or 2 that you shouldn't. It won't change next year, only the opponents will change, and which games they should win will change.
When did that last happen??

Who is defining what "success" means?

in theory, every person who follows Gopher FB could have their own definition of success.

which means that there is no real or definitive answer to the OP.

But, just for sh*ts and giggles, I will offer this:

If I had to bet my own money, I would say the Gophers go 7-5 or 8-4 in the regular season.
best case scenario 9-3. worst case scenario 6-6.

just too many variables to narrow it down. Injuries being the big one.
No shit, huh! No doubt that a 7-5 season with an empty trophy case will find you here again in January 2024 leading the sugar coat brigade.

You sound like an angry person.

Not too much to ask but it's probably too much as a bare minimum to consider the season a success.

For me, it's pretty simple:

9+ wins: good season
8 wins: success
7 wins: meh
6 and under: failure

Win one more top game and hopefully play in a bowl one more step up. Minnesota is performing well for the range of recruiting Minnesota can achieve and the recruiting history for the school. The transfer portal pickups were nice.

Minnesota has won 5 bowls in a row!

Given the schedule, losses on offense and defense, new assistants and OC, and traditional rivalries getting upgrades in staffs and players I would say ask me when the season is over.

There is so much we can't control - injuries, young adults not showing up to play, freak plays that cost us a game that we really were the better team. So not going to discuss wins and losses.

What I want to see in 2023:

1.) An offense that keeps defenses on their toes. It has a great combination of run and pass and seems a more open than in previous years.

2.) See development of Athan throughout the season that will help us know in 2024 he will be a Heisman candidate.

3.) See a WR and RB group that can catch the ball and create separation.

4.) See our defense continue to be what it is, solid at every level.

5.) See a star or two develop on the defensive side of the ball.

6.) Demonstrate solid OL depth.

Bottom line, i would love to see us have a great season, but my dream is to develop enough of a solid foundation where 2024 can be a special season (Playoffs).

Injuries notwithstanding, another top 10 defense and 1000+ rusher, plus a 1000+ receiver (for the first time in a few years) would be a good sign, regardless of the record at the end of the season. Records can be dumb. Schedule is tough next year. Fleck has a long leash with me if those items are achieved because that's a sign of consistency and progress, even if the record is less than desirable.

You sound like an angry person.
"Wooty Woot" has been a member of GH for just over two weeks, having joined December 29, 2022. Not shy, he has already had over 30 emoji/messages, quite a few disrespectful, some downright mean-spirited. I'm guessing previously banned troll--perhaps banned more than once.

Last edited:

Top Bottom