Football Stinks Anyways. Let's Play Basketball

If you'd have told me six months ago that i'd need Richard Pitino to save me from PJ Fleck, i would have laughed in your face.

If you'd have told me six months ago that i'd need Richard Pitino to save me from PJ Fleck, i would have laughed in your face.

I've been a pretty strong critic of Pitino in the past, but I think that all of Pitino's suffering (and ours) has not been in vain. He at least seems to understand the kind of personnel he needs to succeed in the conference and what he has to do to field a competitive team given that Minnesota is not a prized destination for prep stars.

He seems to be pursuing Hoiberg's recruiting strategy at Iowa State to lower the risk of bust recruits and to keep his team at least physically mature: relying on a mix of transfers and prep recruits. To date, his efforts have been a mixed bag but at least on paper this team looks like his finest effort to implement that strategy.

The worst thing for gopherhole basketball fans about a disappointing football season is that the football fans arrive here pre-discouraged. No non-conference wait and see, they excelerate to mid-season despair practically at the tip off.

Top Bottom