Football season approaches!!

I am as anxious for the football season to start too but I need someone to explain where they see that this program is heading for better days. the person that started this thread admits they expect the season to be one of the worse record wise in the last twenty years but thinks the program is on the verge of being able to not rebuild but reload.

I just don't see the progress in the 4th year of this head coach. The program IMO is no better off now than it was under Mason and might be getting worse based on the rankings of the recruiting class getting worse each year. This is espeically alarming when the head coach's big thing was suppose to be recruiting.

someone if they can tell my where the progress is in year 4 and things are improving since I don't see it. Nothing about the recruiting shows all this alledged depth being built.

I have to belieive that 4 years ago that no one on this board would have said that if this team does in fact finish last in the B10 in year 4 of this head coach that it would be progress from where the program was under Mason.

Have you watched a game or a practice or the spring game, or recruiting film on the kids? Where don't you see improved athleticism? and the so called "down" recruiting is still far greater than any class Mase ever brought in. I think the only thing you know about the team is what the Star Tribune and KFAN tells you.

I think one thing being overlooked is year 2 in the offense. Year 2 under Dunbar was better, and with much of the same roster.

Sorry. May have appeared that way because of the 6 win improvement, but the 2008 offense (91st in the nation) was far worse than the 2007 offense (48th).

@MTSU
USD
NIU
NU
Pur
@MSU
@Ill

Will we win all of those games? Probably not, but I would give us 45% or better odds in each. And that's not even taking into consideration the possibility of stealing one from PSU, OSU, Iowa, UW, or USC, in which case we wouldn't even have to win all 7 listed above.

you get on me because I even considered that the Gophers could finish last in the B10 but by your own admission you gave them an over 50% chance to go 0-7 in the games listed and then would have to steal a game from PSU, OSU, Iowa, UW or USC to not go 0-12.

Seems last in the B10 isn't so far fetched as you thought.

you get on me because I even considered that the Gophers could finish last in the B10 but by your own admission you gave them an over 50% chance to go 0-7 in the games listed and then would have to steal a game from PSU, OSU, Iowa, UW or USC to not go 0-12.

Seems last in the B10 isn't so far fetched as you thought.

You're not very good at math or statistics are you? Lets assume we have 50% chance of winning to make math easy. Since each game is an independent event, the probabilities of going 0-7 are: .5 * .5 *.5 *.5 *.5 * .5 * .5. That is actually a 0.0078 probability of going 0-7. Yes, we also have the same probability of going 7-0. But I like to think our odds of going 7-0 and better than going 0-7 ;)

Sorry if my math is slightly off, I'm using a phone calculator.

@MTSU
USD
NIU
NU
Pur
@MSU
@Ill

Will we win all of those games? Probably not, but I would give us 45% or better odds in each. And that's not even taking into consideration the possibility of stealing one from PSU, OSU, Iowa, UW, or USC, in which case we wouldn't even have to win all 7 listed above.

Was what that you were saying again about reading comprehension?

scools is a troll...I don't know why people respond to it.

Now...if scools wants to come out and show it's true colors, I'm sure there will be plenty of people giving your their opinion.

If the Gophers only had a 5% chance to win EACH of their games they'd still only be 50% likely to go 0-12 for the season.

Sorry. May have appeared that way because of the 6 win improvement, but the 2008 offense (91st in the nation) was far worse than the 2007 offense (48th).

OK. I'll give you that. My judgment was clouded by more wins. Here I thought that was a good thing. Weber threw fewer INTs......fewer TDs as well, but fewer turnovers, and a better completion %, and passer rating. We won more games, that has to count for something. It's not always about stats.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but I'm optimistic about this team. I'm not doom and gloom. I think we win 7 this year.

scools is a troll...I don't know why people respond to it.

Now...if scools wants to come out and show it's true colors, I'm sure there will be plenty of people giving your their opinion.

my true colors? what could they be? I am from Minnesota, grad of the University of Minnesota, if the definition of a troll is someone that looks at the football program objectively and not through maroon and gold coloerd glasses then yes I am a troll.

my true colors? what could they be? I am from Minnesota, grad of the University of Minnesota, if the definition of a troll is someone that looks at the football program objectively and not through maroon and gold coloerd glasses then yes I am a troll.

I took a few minutes to look at some of your past posts, and they appear very trollish.

Rodent, you are right - Middle Tennessee is a HUGE game for us. Everyone expects an ambush and a no-go for our running game while their spectacular QB runs wild. The great thing about this time of year is that anything can happen - Gophers could win 3 or 8. they might knock off Southern Cal or lose to Northern Illinois. Who among us knows?

I think everyone is having a hard time putting a good prediction out on this gopher team because there aren't any names like Decker, Maroney, Spaeth, etc. associated with it. I feel this team has the depth and alot of experience coming back. Heck the whole offense, except Decker, is coming back yet no one even gives credit for that because of how they finished the last 4 games of last season.
No way are the Gophers last place. I'll leave that for Indiana, Illinois or Purdue....maybe even Michigan.

I don't think you're a troll. You may not be as optimistic as some, but you don't sound like a troll to me. In defense of the others, we get a lot of trolls.

I think everyone is having a hard time putting a good prediction out on this gopher team because there aren't any names like Decker, Maroney, Spaeth, etc. associated with it.

I think you're on to something there. It could just be the fact that we have sucked on offense and sucked big time without Decker. What will cure this problem is some positive offensive consistency.

I am as anxious for the football season to start too but I need someone to explain where they see that this program is heading for better days. the person that started this thread admits they expect the season to be one of the worse record wise in the last twenty years but thinks the program is on the verge of being able to not rebuild but reload.

I just don't see the progress in the 4th year of this head coach. The program IMO is no better off now than it was under Mason and might be getting worse based on the rankings of the recruiting class getting worse each year. This is espeically alarming when the head coach's big thing was suppose to be recruiting.

someone if they can tell my where the progress is in year 4 and things are improving since I don't see it. Nothing about the recruiting shows all this alledged depth being built.

I have to belieive that 4 years ago that no one on this board would have said that if this team does in fact finish last in the B10 in year 4 of this head coach that it would be progress from where the program was under Mason.

If this team really struggles (say 4 wins or less), I feel confident in saying there won't be a year 5. Recruiting really didn't go down in year 2 under Brewster, but it did in year 3 which shocked me considering he had the TCF opener and the Cal game to bring recruits to.

The only point I strongly disagree with you on is depth. We will have guys in the program next year who had significant BCS offers playing backup roles. Matt Garin, Spencer Reeves, Kenny Watkins, and Anthony Jacobs will likely be backups on defense. This simply was not the case in the past where we were usually depending on a former walk on or two to start and had nobody of significance as a backup.

If this team really struggles (say 4 wins or less), I feel confident in saying there won't be a year 5. Recruiting really didn't go down in year 2 under Brewster, but it did in year 3 which shocked me considering he had the TCF opener and the Cal game to bring recruits to.

The only point I strongly disagree with you on is depth. We will have guys in the program next year who had significant BCS offers playing backup roles. Matt Garin, Spencer Reeves, Kenny Watkins, and Anthony Jacobs will likely be backups on defense. This simply was not the case in the past where we were usually depending on a former walk on or two to start and had nobody of significance as a backup.

EG#9 - you are the only one that actually posted on why you disagree with me without turning it into that I somehow "pre-determined" the Gophers were going to finish last, without telling me that I don't know what I am talking about since I don't watch recruiting film, that one made me laugh and of course everyone's favorite just call someone a troll when you don't like what they psoted.

EG#9 - you are the only one that actually posted on why you disagree with me without turning it into that I somehow "pre-determined" the Gophers were going to finish last

False.

without telling me that I don't know what I am talking about since I don't watch recruiting film

Don't see one spot in this thread where someone even insinuated that, but whatevs.

that one made me laugh and of course everyone's favorite just call someone a troll when you don't like what they psoted

I don't believe you are a troll. I believe that you are a legitimate Gopher fan and alum, but an ill-informed one. Further, one who bases their beliefs about the team on unimportant things, not to mention superficial and incorrect information. You're basing your entire belief about the fate of this season on some numbers on a sheet of paper. The point most are making in this thread is do some research, watch the players play (in person and on video), and use that to make an educated guess. Not what Rivals, Scout, or ESPN is saying about incoming players (most of whom won't even play this season).

Which brings me to my last point. Your contention is that the Gophers are doomed because of sliding recruiting rankings. I strongly disagree with you, but that's not the point. The point is that, for this season, the team's fate will be determined by players signed 1, 2, 3, and even 4 years ago - not those who signed 4 months ago. Outside of possibly RB, I can guarantee you that no HS players signed in 2010 will be starters in 2010. Most of them will never even see the field. So, in summary, you are basing your feelings off things that are incorrect, and even more importantly, irrelevant.

Does that about cover it?

i guess i dont know why purdue and indiana should be picked ahead of u of mn. you never know what will happen w/northwestern and mich st and no one thinks mich is going to be a force this year. for how badly it pains me to say it, iowa and wisky will be tough, ohio st will win the conf and i really dont know what neb and penn st will be like. i think minny has a good shot to be 5-6 because after the top 3 the rest of the conference is a crap shoot. after ohio st there isnt any dominant teams that could change but i guess what im trying to say is, anything can and will happen with exception of ohio st! i think it goes like this:

1)ohio st
2)iowa
3)wisky
4)....
5)....
6)....
7)....
8)....
9)....
10)....
11)....
12) Indiana

Going into pre fall camp this is the way I see the conference without going into great detail
OSU loaded very few questions
UW very solid team needing to replace some players but basicaly solid
Iowa and PSU significt questions on O-Line history of having answers PSU questions at QB
MI, MSU, ILL,NW and MN all have significant questions and might have the answers that will only be known after the season starts.
IN and Purdue just dont seem to have enough athletes.
Thats whats so interesting going into the season except for the very top and bottom of the conference trying to predict what's going to happen is impossible.

I am truly excited about the gopher defense for the first time in years. The athleticism on D will be as good as it has been in the last 20 years. The schedule is great for watching, a bunch of teams at home that will be fun to watch. If the team is going to contend, it is a great schedule for that....most tough games at home....experienced QB. If the experience at QB and OL actually leads to success at those positions, the gophers are probably a running back away from contending. If the O-Line and QB plays like they did last year, then the gophers are a QB, OL, and RB away from contending.

If there was ever a year where the gophers were going to come out of nowhere and win the Big Ten title, this is it. 4 year starter QB, returning starters on the O-line, athletic receivers, good special teams, athletic defense.
I have always told my father, the gophers will not win the big ten title in a year you think they are going to (2003,2005). They will win it in a year, where they come out of nowhere.

All that being said......5-7

False. Sure, there were times when this happened, just like there are with most every football team. But there were plenty of times when he had all day in the pocket, and either did his patented spin move into a sack, or threw a 5-yard out at his receivers' feet in order to avoid the "oncoming" rusher 3 yards away. Among his many weaknesses, "lack of pocket awareness" and "absence of internal countdown clock" are toward the top.

Run blocking was a far bigger problem for last year's line than pass blocking.
Pass blocking was probably a C+ last year. Run blocking probably an F-. I have not broken down the tape or anything, I would guess that 35-45% of the sacks last year were due to Weber not getting the ball out on time. When you have a questionable O-line, you can't take your three/five step drop and then fail to get it out. You are asking to get sacked. He got worse at this as the year went on. It may be a confidence thing, when Weber is decisive with the ball like the 2nd half of the Syracuse game or the Michigan State game, he is a pretty decent QB. The issue is he is only decisive in 1-2 games per season.

His lack of confidence is also probably what causes him to be so poor on throws that should be easy. He is trying to be too perfect, and it is leading him to be the opposite of perfect.

Pass blocking was probably a C+ last year. Run blocking probably an F-. I have not broken down the tape or anything, I would guess that 35-45% of the sacks last year were due to Weber not getting the ball out on time. When you have a questionable O-line, you can't take your three/five step drop and then fail to get it out. You are asking to get sacked. He got worse at this as the year went on. It may be a confidence thing, when Weber is decisive with the ball like the 2nd half of the Syracuse game or the Michigan State game, he is a pretty decent QB. The issue is he is only decisive in 1-2 games per season.

His lack of confidence is also probably what causes him to be so poor on throws that should be easy. He is trying to be too perfect, and it is leading him to be the opposite of perfect.

many of the opinions of the gopher o-line were formed early in the season. The pass blocking was better as the year went on, and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but I actually think it was pretty good. and I think we started to see some glimpses of a clue in the run game towards the end. I think we'll be adequate on the line this year. I'm hoping having a decent coordinator will be be able to manage and mend Weber's traumatic stress disorder he developed under the fisch.

Cos has a strength as a coordinator that works well in our situation. He knows how to minimize our weaknesses while developing our strengths. It's frustrating to watch if you want an agressive secondary, but it will keep us from getting lit up as the defense learns to work together.

We do have that chance for a magical season. For these reasons. There are real points of hope. For me though, just to many things to pull together to make it a big year. although it would be a beautiful things.

I will feel bad for Brew if he doesn't make it to year 5. All of his best recruits will finally be mature enough to really make an impact and realize their potential. Gray alone should get Brew his 5th year. Beal could be another(if he stays healthy). If he gets fired, I think we could expect a mass exodus of recruits, which really would be a shame.

That being said, I still think we win 7 and Brew gets his 5th year.

I will feel bad for Brew if he doesn't make it to year 5. All of his best recruits will finally be mature enough to really make an impact and realize their potential. Gray alone should get Brew his 5th year. Beal could be another(if he stays healthy). If he gets fired, I think we could expect a mass exodus of recruits, which really would be a shame.

That being said, I still think we win 7 and Brew gets his 5th year.

It would be a joke if Brew doesn't get a 5th year when the likes of Gutey and Wacker got 5th years. I personally have concluded Brew should easily get a 6th season regardless of how this season pans out. Coordinators are finally in place (and are not going anywhere as long as Brew is coaching). Position coaches have been pretty darn consistant and have had almost zero turnover...which is great for recruiting. For the most part Brew has had a pretty stable group of coaches, which most people overlook because of the coordinator issues.

many of the opinions of the gopher o-line were formed early in the season. The pass blocking was better as the year went on, and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but I actually think it was pretty good. and I think we started to see some glimpses of a clue in the run game towards the end.

Illinois had 15 sacks in eight BT games....seven came against Minnesota late in the season. Iowa had 5 sacks.

and I think we started to see some glimpses of a clue in the run game towards the end.

36 carries for 48 yards against Iowa (1.3)
48 for 137 yards against South Dakota State (2.9)
36 for 50 yards against Illinois (1.4)
39 for 89 yards against Michigan State (2.3)

It's the Gophers luck that we will likely have our deepest, most competitive team in years...the same year that we have probably the most difficult schedule in school history.

Just Curious, do you really think its THAT much more difficult than last year's schedule? We play the exact same BT lineup and the nonconference games are

Nonconference:
  • While USC (home) should be more difficult than Cal (home), I would say that Cal has historically been a very strong September team (not so much as the season wears on) and that USC has a lot of question marks. Still, they're USC and have amongst the best athletes in CFB so this should be a harder game than last year's Cal game.
  • I don't know much about USD, but I don't think they're as good as SDSU and the question should be moot anyway
  • MTSU on the road - I know they had a good record in 2009, but the teams they beat had a .310 record and 8 of the teams they played were in the bottom-25 of CollegeFootballNews' rankings of the 120 teams. In the end CFN ranked Syracuse higher than MTSU lat year.
  • At worst, Northern Illinois at home should be no more difficult than Air Force at home

Conference
2010 home games that were road games in 2009:
Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State and Northwestern

2010 road vames that were home games in 2009:
Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois and Michigan State

I guess there are a couple of ways of looking at this. One school of thought is that you'd want your most "winnable" games at home. Looking at it this way, we had 3 such games last year and 1 this year. The other school of thought is that you'd like to see your most difficult opponents in your house rather than theirs. Last year 3 of our 4 most difficult opponents were on the road. This year we have 3 pre-season top-25 BT teams at home and 1 on the road.

I guess my point is that we could draw some minor distinctions between last year and this year, but in the end, I don't think we should look at 2010 as being that much more difficult than 2009.

In year 4 of a building process, not winning at least 5 games (regardless of the schedule) would be a very big dissapointment for me.

Illinois had 15 sacks in eight BT games....seven came against Minnesota late in the season. Iowa had 5 sacks.

36 carries for 48 yards against Iowa (1.3)
48 for 137 yards against South Dakota State (2.9)
36 for 50 yards against Illinois (1.4)
39 for 89 yards against Michigan State (2.3)

You are simplifying the issues. Yes the sack number got higher as the year went on. But at the beginning of the season nearly 100% of the sacks were the O-lines fault. By the end of the year at least 50% of the sacks were due to the fact that Weber was not getting the ball out on time. Weber "scrambling" (aka, spinning in circles until he is brought down) did not help sack totals either. The sacks were largely due to QB play at the end of the year. If you did not see the improvement in the pass protection, you were not watching the games. Did they still have breakdowns at the end? Yes. But they were much fewer.

I personally thought the run-blocking was consistently terrible all year.

Top Bottom