Football Scoop: Study: Five-stars are worth $650,000 per year; 2-star recruits cost his school $13,000 per year

That’s the point.
People go to games to see Ohio State.
If the Bosa twins didn’t go to Ohio State and some other 2-4 star was playing instead...the stadium would still be packed.

There is a reason all the duke and Arizona basketball games will be sold out yet the G league team that gets the top prospect will still be playing in front of mostly empty arena.

the brands of universities sell tickets more than individual athletes do
I very much agree with you.

I still do think that the correlation with winning and fandom exists, but on a long time scale. Like if Ohio State just started sucking ... finishing no higher than middle of the pack in the Big Ten .... eventually it would dry up. I think.

Then again, Nebraska hasn't been shit in national college football for 20 years, but they still sell out and probably still would get some of the highest national ratings for a big time TV non-conf game.

So maybe it would take a really long time. Gophers level? 40-50 years?

Recruiting in of itself as a factor, I think only matters because it in turn correlates with winning.

This isn’t a study. It’s a probability and statistics fubar. Ridiculous premise x ridiculous analysis = BS.

Gee whiz. Winning = more high end players + more $. I’ll give you that study for free.

I very much agree with you.

I still do think that the correlation with winning and fandom exists, but on a long time scale. Like if Ohio State just started sucking ... finishing no higher than middle of the pack in the Big Ten .... eventually it would dry up. I think.

Then again, Nebraska hasn't been shit in national college football for 20 years, but they still sell out and probably still would get some of the highest national ratings for a big time TV non-conf game.

So maybe it would take a really long time. Gophers level? 40-50 years?

Recruiting in of itself as a factor, I think only matters because it in turn correlates with winning.
I agree with you 100%

Winning = more high end players + more $. I’ll give you that study for free.
No one was trying to "prove" that.

The academic novelty of it, was in trying to make a valid reasoning about what the parameter values were.

That is why Helmet schools are helmet schools.

an Ohio State gets the best players, so they win a lot of games and draw large crowds. and then the best players look at Ohio state, and say "gee, they win a lot of games, so I'll go there." It becomes a self-perpetuating cycle.

It would be interesting to see what happened if OSU for some reason was only getting 2* and 3* players for two or three recruiting cycles. But the odds of that happening are really tiny.

the other question is what would happen if a MN was able to pull in a bunch of 4* players and mix in a 5* or two.

but in general, it's a lot harder for a non-helmet school to become a helmet school than it is for a helmet school to fall out of that club.

Top Bottom