Football Scoop: Minnesota has met with Fleck, reached out to Niumatalolo

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Minnesota: Sources tell FootballScoop Minnesota has met with PJ Fleck. We also have been told that Minnesota has reached out to Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo. This would be the second time Minnesota has reached out to Ken, in fact, it is our understanding Minnesota previously offered Niumatalolo the head job a few years back. Will update as more is clear…

Minnesota: According to Joe Schmit of KSTP, Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle and President Eric Kaler met with PJ Fleck yesterday in Chicago. Schmit adds “Nothing official yet…”

Ken Niumatalolo makes absolutely zero sense.

Navy had a highly publicized sexual assault case involving three football players. They were eventually acquitted of the charges but it was a lightening rod. It was a national story, the President spoke on the subject, it revolved around whether these military tribunals were really equipped to handle rape cases.

In light of our climate, I would be surprised if Ken N. wouldn't receive a giant backlash from the regressive types.

In the pro-Niumatalolo view, I've always thought we could do well with a triple option offense here. It wouldn't be super fun to watch but I think Gopher football could have a lot of sustained 8-10 win/yr success with it.

Navy had a highly publicized sexual assault case involving three football players. They were eventually acquitted of the charges but it was a lightening rod. It was a national story, the President spoke on the subject, it revolved around whether these military tribunals were really equipped to handle rape cases.

In light of our climate, I would be surprised if Ken N. wouldn't receive a giant backlash from the regressive types.
He turned down BYU. There is no way he comes here.

Also Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead, who isn't interested.

Are these other contacts an indication that Fleck turned them down and they're moving onto other options?

As more and more names come out, it is feeling more and more like the last search. Our AD didn't have anything lined up when he fired the coach. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these other contacts an indication that Fleck turned them down and they're moving onto other options?

They want to move fast / have to.

So I would expect them to shotgun contacts even while zeroing in on their guy.

Not sure was can tell yet.

Even if you have a top guy or two in mind you still reach to several candidates that you may have interest in. Why limit the pool and not have several backup options? Plus who really know's who's leaking this information.

As more and more names come out, it is feeling more and more like the last search. Our AD didn't have anything lined up when he fired the coach. Nice.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I get this same feeling... No "horse in the corral" at the time of the firing. If Coyles top targets begin to decline, and it comes to fruition that a replacement was not in line, this, and the ill advised timing of the firing will prove to be the worst folly in the history of the program.... And there have been a few.

Also creates leverage with Fleck. "Please sign on the dotted line, we have other candidates."

More importantly...wrong torso.

IMG_0194.jpg

I would have no issues with our hiring of Niumataolo but I don't think he would come here.

I politely disagree. I bet Coyle has talked to agents. That's the great thing about agents you can talk to a coach without talking to the coach.

I would have no problem with Kenny N., either, I don't want to learn to spell his name and I hate the wishbone, but he's a good coach.

I would have no problem with Kenny N., either, I don't want to learn to spell his name and I hate the wishbone, but he's a good coach.

Coming off that loss to Army...seriously:confused:

If Navy didn't lose their starting QB the week before they beat army by 2 TD's at least. Almost beat them without him.

If Navy didn't lose their starting QB the week before they beat army by 2 TD's at least. Almost beat them without him.

Excuses...excuses. I want a Miracle Worker hired for our next coach.:mad:

I don't know when it was posted, but I saw it on footballscoop.com before 8:30 this morning. I'm guessing nothing with Fleck had been ruled out at that point.

Excuses...excuses. I want a Miracle Worker hired for our next coach.:mad:

10 wins - - Minimum
Hot Body - - Priority
Energy - - High
Recruiting - - 6th or higher on rivals
Rape - - Against it.

I think they had lost 1st and 2nd stringer before playing Army. They were down to 3rd string.

Could be, in which case our administrators are even dumber than we thought.

I would not renew if they hire a triple option coach. And I was a person supporting the move

Top Bottom