Footbal ticket income

Rog

Reaction score
may not look so bad -- As ticket income falls, the BTN football tv distribution is rising (which to me is part football income) Add the Two together and the number may look pretty good. Ticket income is dropping because of the wide screen higher definition TV in my opinion.

At some point sports tickets at all but the biggest events will be like getting tickets to the taping of a TV show. Free or close to it, because the TV (digital distribution) product that makes the real money needs some bodies and atmosphere to make it fun to watch.

At some point sports tickets at all but the biggest events will be like getting tickets to the taping of a TV show. Free or close to it, because the TV (digital distribution) product that makes the real money needs some bodies and atmosphere to make it fun to watch.

Sad, but true I'm afraid.

We're already at that point, although no one seems to acknowledge it yet. I made the same comment last fall during a discussion of ticket prices. They really don't need people in the seats, except for aesthetics. Ticket revenue is becoming inconsequential.

JTG

I remember a time when going to the games was big deal and Universities set the kickoff time. If TV wanted to broadcast the game, they made sure they were set up in time to cover it at the assigned time. For commercial breaks, TV people had to be clever about when to break from the action so they wouldn't miss any of the play on the field. They covered the game, instead of fitting the game within their coverage.

The problem is any advertising ideas are always seen as extra ways to make money. For example, in soccer you have the field banners flashing advertising all game. It helps offset the fact the action is continual and they can't break for advertisements on a regular basis. If someone introduced something like that for football, or limited advertising on player jersey, etc. it would only be seen as a way for MORE money, not a replacement for maximum commercial breaks if they got rid of the red hat.

Slowly but surely the spectator stadium game experience has been poisoned at the same time the TV coverage and technology has improved. Now everyone seems to wonder why people don't go to games anymore. But, concessions at most stadiums remain at premium prices and donaton/ticket prices remain high to prey on the same dwindling set of hold out season ticket buyers.

Today's full stadium breeds tomorrow's TV interest. But, what happens if you poison today's stadium attendance to the point generations of fans are lost?

Top Bottom