Food for thought?

Reaction score
I think everyone is in agreement the OL this year was pretty bad. The Gopher OL runs their line splits about 2 yards apart. Anybody that watched the Tech/MSU game last night probably noticed that TECH to take advantage of the smaller/quicker backs and create a seam many times had their line splits about 4 yards apart. I really wonder why we didn't try that with Whaley to create a wider seam? Thoughts??:confused:

Tech plays a different game than everyone else. They line up 5 tackles and split them pretty far apart.

It works for them because they are generally pass blocking. When they do run, it catches other teams off guard.

There are two main reasons you won't see the Gophers doing this anytime soon:

A. They don't have enough talent on the offensive line

B. Complete lack of any "scheme" on offense. Fisch waltzes into most games without any clue on what to run.

You are pretty wrong on this.

It has everything to do with scheme and nothing to do with talent. GA Tech and Navy also use big splits, and it is unique to the offensive scheme they run. Browning also had his linemen use bigger splits than usual (he wanted 3 feet, but the linemen usually cut it down to 2 feet before getting yelled at).

I will start with Texas Tech. They want the defense to make a decision about where to go. They have already taken defenders out of the box by running the spread, so it makes the decision-making easier for the RBs when the remaining defenders have to choose a gap. It also pertains to blocking scheme. Texas Tech, like all spread teams, uses primarily zone blocking schemes. This is the same reason why Browning used bigger splits and why Wisconsin, Uconn, Iowa, etc. do not. The RB makes a quick read and a cut rather than running to a designated hole. The defense makes a decision, the RB reacts, and the play is run.

GT and Navy are similar yet a little different in that much of what they do requires blocking angles. They will usually have smaller, quicker linemen, so they use this offense to utilize those abilities. Those angles are created for the OL by widening the splits. It is similar in that they also want to make the defense make a decision. The triple option has, not surprisingly, three options: FB handoff, QB keep, WB pitch. There is a read for each decision based on what the defense does. The wider splits force the defense to make a decision, and the offense reacts accordingly.

Once again, the splits are based on scheme. The Gophers did not use 3 ft. splits because it would not benefit them given the scheme they were trying to run. As I mentioned, Wisconsin's splits are not big either, and I think we would all agree that their linemen were pretty talented this year.

If you are going to answer a football question, try to do so in a way that does not blatantly pertain to your agenda. It makes things much more enjoyable on this "football" board.

You are pretty wrong on this.

If you are going to answer a football question, try to do so in a way that does not blatantly pertain to your agenda. It makes things much more enjoyable on this "football" board.

Noted

OL spacing may have something to do with scheme, but scheme should be based on talent. As someone mentioned above, quick linemen can use wide spacing to gain blocking angles. On the other hand, if you use wide spacing with relatively slow linemen (Gophers), the defense will run wild through those gaps.

Big, slow OLs need to be closer together so they can "plow" forward on runs and control the gaps on passes. Unfortunately, the Gophers weren't very good at either of those tasks.

Top Bottom