Folks that went to Nebraska: How was your trip?

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
I must say I had a great time in Lincoln this past weekend. From Sandy's late on Friday to tailgating at the reservation Saturday and then going out again after the game, it was really an enjoyable trip and ranks way up there on my list of B1G destinations to visit again. Our group must've had about 40 people explicitly thank us for making the trip out there (not to mention a few free jello shots and beers).

I was frankly surprised at how easy the tailgating situation seemed to be at the reservation after hearing all week how tough it would be so the next time I go I think that'll be the plan.

All in all, great trip, would recommend.

Elk Creek Water at Sandy's is very overrated. Tasted like a watered down mimosa. Otherwise it was a good time, even found Grainbelt at one of the bars. Husker fans are very dedicated and the entrance with Dr. Tom was very cool.

My wife and I had a great time.

We ate cajun (my favorite) at Billy Buzzards on Friday night and Italian (can't remember the name of the place, but it was in Haymarket too) on Saturday night. The hotel was affordable, nearby and I only reserved it in September.

Everyone was very, very friendly.

I would give the tailgating a B+ (I've seen better). The thing I really liked was that I hardly had to deal with any REALLY drunk people - like I have to in Iowa and other places.

The gameday atmosphere was awesome - Especially when the Huskers are on defense.

Surprisingly, we do some things better. Our band is better. We have more band music and less music over the PA. Our student section is more fun - Minnesota students really like to dance.

Overall, it was a great experiance and I would highly recommend going down to Lincoln in 2014.

I have been to Lincoln for games plenty of times; but I am still shocked at how many people came up to us thanking us for coming, offering drinks, inviting us to join their tailgate and talking about the conference. They are incredibly nice fans. Also, they all hate Wisconsin fans. It was funny hearing the stories at the way Wisconsin fans acted in Madison last year and in Lincoln this year. Great trip and I agree with the Dr. Tom send off being great. It was a great experience.

We also had a great time. I'm really hoping that MN fans extend some extra MN Nice to all Nebraska fans when they visit next year (we can save the "No More Minnesota Nice" for WI & Iowa). Before, during and after the game the Nebraska fans were so good to us. It is a great culture of respect and appreciation that they show the visiting fans. We should try and do the same!

Go Gophers!

Me and my wife had a great time. Like everyone else we couldn't walk five feet without someone thanking us for coming. It was a really friendly bunch of people. I didn't hear anyone talk trash about Wisconsin, but there were a few Iowa jokes. One guy and his son absolutely went off on tOSU fans. I thought that was funny. Nothing really nasty just that they thought they were pretty arrogant, etc and didn't behave very well on their visit to Lincoln last year. The one criticism I heard about the B1G was the slow pace of play. Otherwise everyone was happy with the move. Little did we know the next day we'd have two more teams in the conference.

Mostly the same; couldn't believe how many people welcomed us to Lincoln & had bad expriences with Wisconsin fans.

I was amazed that they would have a new video montage at the start of every defensive series with a new song leading it. Definitely a lot of pipe in music, but they loved it. It is definitely their professional team for sure.

Heard only two negative comments all weekend; one was from clown as we left the stadium. The other was from someone making fun of us cheering after a goal watching the hockey game, commenting how nobody cares & there are only two teams that played college hockey. Kind of ironic coming from a fanbase that sells out women's volleyball.

Good trip; every Gopher fan should experience it once.

I didn't go this weekend but I laugh at the hatred for Wisconsin. When Nebraska visited TCF last year the Husker fans I was sitting by repeatedly commented on how the fans in Madison were a-holes.

How was the Minnesota following? Did we travel ok?

I was somewhat surprised to see so many Gopher fans out and about in downtown Lincoln, certainly more than I've seen on a number of other trips. We certainly sold our allotment (although we didn't make much noise during the game because there was nothing to make noise about...)

Our whole trip was great. Had many, many people before and after the game thanking us for making the trip, wishing us luck for the game and the future, and many shots/drinks with their fans as well. I've been to Madison 3 times, Iowa City 4 times, Purdue once, Vegas once, and a bowl game. This was by far the best my group has been treated by opposing fans and the best college football environment I had ever been a part of. Will certainly be making the trip again in 2 years.

The only hazing we got was during the Gopher hockey game as well. They gave us the "who cares, it's hockey" argument, but after they saw how passionate we are about our puck and the fact we were playing Wisconsin, we got a few of them to watch the game right along with us. Go GBR this week against Iowa!

Mrs. Bayfield and I had the same experience with the Husker fans. Its hard to imagine a fan base as friendly and hospitable. We had a great time and the 11 hour drive was well worth it.

We met a couple of Gopher friends and hung out at the Single Barrel for three hours prior to the game. A fun filled place with a live band playing lots of old tunes to their own lyrics. Gopher fans were warmly welcomed and invited to sing the Rouser on stage which a handful of us willingly did. Food was good too. A Husker alumni band played which was a special treat hearing the Husker faithful singing many of their school fight songs (they have a lot of them). Pretty neat.

We took in the band pregame at 1:30 on campus which was a well attended event. A couple introduced themselves to us and their daughter is a member of the flag team so we had a nice time chatting with them. The Gopher Pep Band was in attendance and we made sure we appreciated their presence. It doesn't rate with the Wisconsin pregame however.

I talked to Mr. Diem a bit and encouraged him to consider doing the band pregame on the grassy area on east side of the Mac Center rather than the Plaza. I would think that some fans would wonder on over from Sally's or Stub's as well as the Mac and take it in. He also mention looking at a spot adjacent to the train station across from TCF.

The athletic facilities appear to be first class which is expected for such a storied program. Memorial Stadium has been sold out for (?) hundreds of games and their fans are enthusiastic. Coach Osborn was recognized for his accomplished during every time out as well as half time. No question that he is the man in Huskerland.

I was surprised how much piped in music they used. The band played very little. I would give our band a much better rating. I didn't really notice the student section but we were in the other end zone. It's difficult to not notice the Gopher student section when its rockin.

We stayed in West Omaha to break up the trip a bit and save on room costs. We arrived to the downtown area at 10:15 with no travel issues and easily located the parking that we reserved just one block south of O Street. We had planned on spending a few hours downtown after the game but decided to go back to Omaha and left with about 7 minutes left and beat the crowd. The exit went smoothly with no major traffic issues.

We ate Firday and Saturday nights at the Upstream Brewery in West Omaha. Great beer and food and lots of friendly Nebraska fans.

We greatly encourage Gopher fans to consider taking in the next game in Lincoln.

We had an amazing time. Each year we travel to nearly all away games (Illinois is the only one we missed this year), and nothing compares to Nebraska, IMO. Fans were absolutely amazing. They will tell you they take pride in treating visiting fans well, and they mean it. Bars were fun Friday night - on a couple different occasions, random Husker fans walked up to us and bought us drinks. Saturday morning, we picked up a case of beer and walked into a random tailgate lot. Within minutes, we were offered shots, beer, any pretty much any other liquor we wanted (and any food we wanted). We spent 3.5 hours in the tailgate lot and had groups of people talking with us the entire time.

One thing that really surprised me, however, was the student section. I couldn't even tell where the students were sitting (I assumed they were near the band, but it wasn't obvious to me). I see others here had a similar reaction. Likewise, I agree, the marching band was not impressive.

And as others have already said, we did hear a lot of people talk about how badly they were treated in Madison last year. No surprise. Those who made the trip to Minneapolis last year all commented on how well they were treated here.

I will definitely be going back to Lincoln in 2 years! Hands down it was my best road trip ever.

Everyone said it. It was awesome.

I told everyone that asked me today at work that if they EVER get the chance, to GO to Lincoln! Great people, great atmosphere, great fun. Poopy game.. but hopefully we'll be more competitive in 2 years. I'm already making plans for our next trip down.

We stayed at my cousin's in Omaha, got into Lincoln at around 9:30am, hit up the bank for cash, then hung out at the HuskerMax tailgate until about 1pm. Got to meet Johnny Rodgers and chatted with him and also got some pictures with him. Then went up to the Haymarket, hit up a bar there for refreshments for my cousin and bathroom break for myself. Afterwards, my wife drug us to the Licorice store. Then it was off to Memorial. We were in pretty damn nice seats for being end-zone. We were in South Stadium, just above where the Gophs came out. Never once got any flak for wearing my maroon and gold outfit (I stood out in the sea of red). Had plenty of 'Welcome to Lincoln!!', and the old timer fans were by far the classiest of them all (not knocking the younguns, but the old timers know class).

After the game, we made our way to find a place to eat. We planned on hanging around Lincoln for at least 2 hours after the game just to avoid the traffic on I-80 to Omaha. We got a nice spot on the patio of Brix and Stone and had some very good food. Stuck around there and watched some more football. Made it back to Omaha at around 9ish.

I have absolutely nothing even remotely average/negative to say about my Lincoln experience.

Nicest fans I had met. Not as crazy of an atmosphere as I expected (Maybe it was because they did not fear the gopher)?

Better people than those in Madison or Iowa City in general I would say.

I won't go back to that stadium until we have a chance to win though. I detest getting blown out.

Echoing what everyone else said. Compared with our experiences in Madison and Iowa City, where the norm is to pelt us with insults and batteries, it was absolutely fantastic.

The lot our group tailgated in, on 11th and M, I've tailgated with before. Actually, the two trucks in the spots were driven by the interior OL of the Orange Bowl Fumblerooski play. They were very welcoming. They cooked us burgers, assured us that we were always welcome at their tailgate, and poured a lot of shots. It wasn't long before all of us were quite drunk.

My only issue was with north stadium. I've sat in some bad seats at a lot of places over the years. Our seats in section 40 were the worst seats I've ever sat in for a football game. UNL should cut both ends off at about row 68 and deck the ends.

I think the Minnesota fans' biggest contribution to Husker lore is the "WE HATE IOWA!" chant. I went to the Single Barrel after the game. Aside from frequently thanking the Minnesota fans for coming down (see the trend?), a couple of times the band stopped to ask the bar what we thought of Iowa. Naturally, it quickly turned into a serenade of "Who hates Iowa? WE HATE IOWA!" The Husker fans caught on in a hurry. The Sidetrack Band was great, and I will make a point to go see them when they come up to MSP next fall.

We went over to Lazlo's to watch Baylor-KSU, Stanford-Oregon, and the hockey game. We were there with several band alumni, and the Husker fans that were there were quite amused when we did the funnel chant after each Gopher goal. Shortly after the game ended, we hit a wall and retired to our accommodations.

I must also say that the food wasn't too shabby. Any burgers served automatically started at a half-pound.

Absolutely will do again.

As everyone else has said, the Neb fans are some of the most cordial I've experienced. We went down on Friday evening and after we attended the Gophers whipping the Huskers a$$es in wrestling we went out to dinner with some big time Husker supporters and one of them gave us the low down on the Husker hospitality (ie that it was preached by Dr Tom (who is undoubtedly a god down there) and that the fans take it seriously no matter who travels down there since they realize that lincoln doesn't have a ton to offer otherwise). We had dinner and drinks at Fireworks the first night and it was pretty solid.

Saturday morning we went with the same crew to do the full blown Neb tailgate starting at about 10 am (our host was there since 8 am and they have about 10ish spots reserved). Was a great time with all the fans and food and drinks there. Many many fans thanked us for coming and said that things appear to be on the upswing for our team as soon as the depth is established and the kids get older. We walked to the game at about 145 and had no trouble finding our seats. One complaint is that Memorial is pretty cramped in the hallways etc, but that is expected with the age of the stadium. Again had many people come up and shake my hand and thank me for coming/give tips on postgame partying/wish us luck for the rest of the season/etc. The pregame ceremonies were pretty cool for Dr Tom and had some great coordination for the signage in the stands. Overall the game atmosphere was pretty good. Wasn't a fan of the speaker music at times and lack of band and student section was a little bit disappointing for how rabid the fan base is, but that may be because so many fans want tickets, they can't afford to have a robust student section. (whether this is true or not i have no idea, just speculation). One of the things that was pretty cool was that it didn't matter who the fan was, you were expected to cheer (true for my section and surrounding sections) and even when the fans started to filter out somewhat, the place still got loud even when they were up 38-0 and we threatened to score. Will say the lady behind me yelling "come on Taylor. atta baby." was pretty annoying but I digress.

After the game, we headed out to Brewsky's bar and had some beer and apps and watched the KSU-Baylor game. Was interesting to hear the cheers going back and forth as Baylor dismantled KSU. Overall it was some pretty good sports talk and food/drink.

I would definitely recommend taking a trip down sometime to see what its all about. Definitely get the feel that this is their pro team and that they care deeply about the team. Will look forward to taking another trip here when we are more competitive in 2 years

what everyone else said! plus....
1 how do you get everyone to A do the wave 3 or 4 times around THEN
B do it 3 or 4 times SLOW THEN
C do it 3 or 4 times FAST THEN
D split it so it goes BOTH ways at the same time........while they are on offense!
2 $3 hot dogs, $4 polish, $4 hot pocket thingies (good!), and $5 ? souvenir pops.
3 our band ROCKS- theirs mediocre.
4 our scoreboard(and use of it) unequaled in my opinion.
regards
farmboy

There were a lot of Gopher fans there. At one point, we had a group of Husker fans say to us: "Wow, Minnesota travels really well!"

When we were walking in I heard a few different Husker fans commenting on how well Minnesota traveled for the game, one guy said better than Michigan. But once I got into the stands I felt pretty alone in the sea of red. I agree with the student section comments, I was wondering where it was, ours is definetly more active but their overall crowd is more active. People of all ages were getting excited to stand & yell for their defense and do goofy hand signals when they had 3 & outs. Like Kill mentioned you could really tell those fans love their football, they show up early and had the stadium full before the tunnel walk.

When we were walking in I heard a few different Husker fans commenting on how well Minnesota traveled for the game, one guy said better than Michigan. But once I got into the stands I felt pretty alone in the sea of red. I agree with the student section comments, I was wondering where it was, ours is definetly more active but their overall crowd is more active. People of all ages were getting excited to stand & yell for their defense and do goofy hand signals when they had 3 & outs. Like Kill mentioned you could really tell those fans love their football, they show up early and had the stadium full before the tunnel walk.

I'm guessing that since it's such a short trip, we travel well. Michigan, PSU, etc all have a ways to go. Iowa will no doubtedly travel well to Lincoln as well.

Great time had by all seven in my group. Only regret was not being able to get there to enjoy a full Friday evening.

The first bar we went into that night we were welcomed by at least five separate groups and talked at length with two of them. The only argument was within their groups over who they disliked more WI or IA. We settled on 1a & 1b with an edge to WI. :)

I hope we get competitive enough to see if they remain as cordial.

Mostly the same; couldn't believe how many people welcomed us to Lincoln & had bad expriences with Wisconsin fans.

I was amazed that they would have a new video montage at the start of every defensive series with a new song leading it. Definitely a lot of pipe in music, but they loved it. It is definitely their professional team for sure.

Heard only two negative comments all weekend; one was from clown as we left the stadium. The other was from someone making fun of us cheering after a goal watching the hockey game, commenting how nobody cares & there are only two teams that played college hockey. Kind of ironic coming from a fanbase that sells out women's volleyball.

Good trip; every Gopher fan should experience it once.

They won't be any more impressed with Iowa fans this Friday. Welcome to our world for the last 100+ years, Huskers. Can't wait to see Memorial East turn red on Friday.

Lincoln was a lot of fun, though I still rank Penn State as my favorite road trip in the Big Ten. Bar hopping Friday night was a good time - started at Brewsky's for a drink before going to Lazlo's for some beers and prime rib, then wandered up and down O Street the rest of the evening. Caught the end of the Gophers-Huskers volleyball match at Sandy's, and did the Minnesota spellout after clinching the victory. I really liked the different vibe you'd get by going out in the Haymarket side of town, compared to O Street - almost like having two downtowns. There were more Gopher fans out on the Friday before a game than I've ever seen on the road. Made me wonder where these people are on home Saturdays.

Nebraska's fans live up to their reputation for being courteous and welcoming. We tailgated with a group in the lot next to the baseball stadium and were treated to some of their 60 pounds of pork. Not the wildest tailgating scene - this is where Penn State's atmosphere really has an advantage, IMO - but a good time regardless. Wasn't blown away by Memorial Stadium, which is probably even more cramped than Michigan Stadium, and has a terrible design for getting people in/out, at least if you're sitting in the end zones. On the bright side, they probably have the most affordable concessions in the league. I'll echo what others have said about their marching band and student section. Having Larry the Cable Guy do a "Thanks Tom" video during one of the timeouts was groan-inducing. Although our marching band was barely audible in the north end zone after we (finally) scored late in the game, I was glad I stuck around until the end to hear the Rouser at a road game for the first time.

Grabbed some dinner and margs after the game before going back to Brewsky's to watch the hockey game. They gave us a bump to a VIP room, which was a nice bonus. Finished the evening by visiting Barrymore's, at the request of our Lincoln host. Glad he led us that way - a nice, chill spot carved out of an old theater whose entrance is in an alley. The bartender bought a round of shots for all the Gopher fans, and the house specialties were great for $6.25.

In all, as I said, I still have State College #1, but Lincoln is definitely solidly in the next tier. A great way to re-complete by tour of the Big Ten, even if that only lasted for a few hours before the Maryland/Rutgers additions.

I'll echo everything else people mentioned about having a great trip. We actually stayed in downtown Omaha Friday night, and a big thumbs-up for the Old Market area. Fantastic old area with cobblestone streets, great shops and restaurants to check out. A couple of guys in our group said, "too bad we don't have something like this back in the Twin Cities."

We drove over to Lincoln Saturday morning, and the Haymarket area was also a pleasant surprise. We walked around the campus, and something that really stood out was frat/sorority row. The houses were gorgeous and really well maintained (including the landscaping). Minnesota's frats look like old run-down homes.

They showed the beginning of the tunnel walk on the big video screen and Tom Osborn was next to Pelini, the crowd went crazy. I'm not very emotional, but even I felt a little lump in my throat just knowing what he meant to that school. Very cool.

Lincoln was a lot of fun, though I still rank Penn State as my favorite road trip in the Big Ten. Bar hopping Friday night was a good time - started at Brewsky's for a drink before going to Lazlo's for some beers and prime rib, then wandered up and down O Street the rest of the evening. Caught the end of the Gophers-Huskers volleyball match at Sandy's, and did the Minnesota spellout after clinching the victory. I really liked the different vibe you'd get by going out in the Haymarket side of town, compared to O Street - almost like having two downtowns. There were more Gopher fans out on the Friday before a game than I've ever seen on the road. Made me wonder where these people are on home Saturdays.

Nebraska's fans live up to their reputation for being courteous and welcoming. We tailgated with a group in the lot next to the baseball stadium and were treated to some of their 60 pounds of pork. Not the wildest tailgating scene - this is where Penn State's atmosphere really has an advantage, IMO - but a good time regardless. Wasn't blown away by Memorial Stadium, which is probably even more cramped than Michigan Stadium, and has a terrible design for getting people in/out, at least if you're sitting in the end zones. On the bright side, they probably have the most affordable concessions in the league. I'll echo what others have said about their marching band and student section. Having Larry the Cable Guy do a "Thanks Tom" video during one of the timeouts was groan-inducing. Although our marching band was barely audible in the north end zone after we (finally) scored late in the game, I was glad I stuck around until the end to hear the Rouser at a road game for the first time.

Grabbed some dinner and margs after the game before going back to Brewsky's to watch the hockey game. They gave us a bump to a VIP room, which was a nice bonus. Finished the evening by visiting Barrymore's, at the request of our Lincoln host. Glad he led us that way - a nice, chill spot carved out of an old theater whose entrance is in an alley. The bartender bought a round of shots for all the Gopher fans, and the house specialties were great for $6.25.

In all, as I said, I still have State College #1, but Lincoln is definitely solidly in the next tier. A great way to re-complete by tour of the Big Ten, even if that only lasted for a few hours before the Maryland/Rutgers additions.

Glad you went ot Barrymore's, very cool place.

Glad everybody had a good time. Having trouble understanding all the "where were the students" posts though. Must have been a mass hallucination. We've been told again and again that you can't have a "rowdy" crowd without 10,000 drunken colllege students!

Top Bottom