Florida Gators Coach Billy Napier's Buyout $26 Million - UPDATE: Other Coaching Hot Seats

GopherMarroon

Reaction score
Gator fans are irate with the Florida coach after getting smoked by Miami Hurricanes 41-17. Sacking the coach would cost of $26 million buyout.

NYT- The Athletic: Billy Napier beware: Florida has not historically been patient in rebuilds:

Meanwhile across state last week, #10 Florida State fell to unranked Georgia Tech 24-21. That's after getting obliterated by Georgia 63-3 in the Orange Bowl. FSU coach Mike Norvell actually received a new eight-year deal after that debacle. No calls for his dismissal -- yet.

You never know with the portal and Miami throwing a bunch of money around but they were not good last season and this is a bad sign for Florida. Gators are rapidly replacing Texas as the team that does less with more.

Florida throws money around too...they have billboards for the NIL collective around Tampa Bay and of course the Jalen Rashada lawsuit where they had a fat contract for a QB

Gator fans are irate with the Florida coach after getting smoked by Miami Hurricanes 41-17. Sacking the coach would cost of $26 million buyout.

NYT- The Athletic: Billy Napier beware: Florida has not historically been patient in rebuilds:

Meanwhile across state last week, #10 Florida State fell to unranked Georgia Tech 24-21. That's after getting obliterated by Georgia 63-3 in the Orange Bowl. FSU coach Mike Norvell actually received a new eight-year deal after that debacle. No calls for his dismissal -- yet.

Those are wildly different scenarios

Florida has looked inept under Napier to this point. Getting shit stomped by your biggest rival at home in a game you look grossly unprepared for after 2 straight losing seasons is very different than losing a game where half your team sits out in partial protest that you didn’t make the playoff and then dropping a game while breaking in a very new team.

Joys of CFB down south and why in this new era we’re pretty fucked in being able to compete as we just don’t have the fan base that cares enough and is as willing to throw the dollars around

You never know with the portal and Miami throwing a bunch of money around but they were not good last season and this is a bad sign for Florida. Gators are rapidly replacing Texas as the team that does less with more.

Florida throws money around too...they have billboards for the NIL collective around Tampa Bay and of course the Jalen Rashada lawsuit where they had a fat contract for a QB
Cam Ward is a legit QB for the Canes. Something they haven't had in a long time.

I respect Dabo for not using the portal or playing big with NIL as I absolutely despise both and think they will ultimately destroy college football. That said, you cannot coach a top program and win without using them so he is sorta holding Clemson hostage.

I respect Dabo for not using the portal or playing big with NIL as I absolutely despise both and think they will ultimately destroy college football. That said, you cannot coach a top program and win without using them so he is sorta holding Clemson hostage.
i mean clemson athletics spent 8.3 million on NIL last year. I'd imagine the bulk of that is football given they suck at pretty much everything else.

If LSU fired Brian Kelly would you hire him for the gopher?

I hate him, my answer is YES

i mean clemson athletics spent 8.3 million on NIL last year. I'd imagine the bulk of that is football given they suck at pretty much everything else.
They made it to the Elite Eight in mens basketball last season and to the Super Regional in baseball this season.

They made it to the Elite Eight in mens basketball last season and to the Super Regional in baseball this season.
i'm just looking at their number of deals and general brand exposure. they've made the NCAA tournament 3x since 2010 (same as MN) and didn't really bring in any players that were "high impact" from the portal or recruiting since NIL expanded. I'd envision there is next to no NIL money floating around in baseball (comparatively). It's really football followed by MBB and WBB and then some very school specific ones that have larger donor bases (like Nebraska volleyball or UND hockey)

From their business department, there were over 300 NIL deals reported from football in 2022-2023 and 17 from MBB. Just saying the idea Dabo doesn't have money is probably not as true as Dabo wants to make it out to be.

not a super awesome look from Napier. losing season this year and he's gone for sure even with a challenging schedule. is it situational for him or his a guy who's just better suited at the G5 level?

Miami eats Florida's dinner, lunch and breakfast in their house.

"You'ld better come to Miami. Come to the U. Don't go here," they tell Florida recruits.

Norvell in Trouble if BC holds on late against FSU.
They went 13-1 last year (and 10-3 the year prior). Maybe if they implode and go like 3-9 I could see his seat being warm, but can’t see any way he’s in any “trouble” regarding being fired this year

That said, it’s pretty clear they lost a ton this year and are not very good

They’d have an interesting case if they go 10-2 with wins on the road over Miami and ND and Clemson at home. Probably too early to eliminate any P5 team with only 2 losses in the new CFP
Looking at FSU's schedule, it's crazy their 3 non-conference games are Memphis (week 3), Notre Dame (week 10-does this count against their conference record??), Charleston Southern (week 11), and Florida (week 12). They also have those classic ACC opponents in Cal and SMU. I'm surprised the teams didn't throw a fit with a heavily loaded conference schedule to work out the kinks before they got into conference play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/52/florida-state-seminoles

Top Bottom