Flip's staff?

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
If Flip gets the job, I hope he strongly considers J.B. Bickerstaff, Dave Thorson and Jared Nuness as assistants. Trent Tucker and Quincy would also be interesting candidates.

I'd like to see Vince Taylor retained from the current staff. And only him.

The thoughts of that coaching staff made me throw up a little bit. It's probably what the staff would look like, so I'm not ripping on the OP, but man I would hate that staff.

There are enough innovative college basketball coaches in the world where I would hope we'd avoid Flip and this cast of characters at all costs.

Bob - I understand why it might appear to be too much crony coachism. My personal opinion is that, at this moment, Flip is our only realistic hope to land all three of the big three and propel us to new heights. That said, I've heard that Flip's age and recruiting ability are the big question marks surrounding his candidacy and think some on this list could help alleviate those issues. I'm not advocating for all of them though. Here's the way I see it:

-Dave Thorson's experience as an assistant coach in college and DeLaSalle connections (Mr. Travis) would make him a candidate.
-I've heard nothing but great things about JB and think he could connect with recruits.
-Jared is another young guy with some experience at another D1 program and most importantly a relative of Tyus. He's probably more of basketball operations type of hire than #1 or #2 assistant.
-Trent/Quincy are only interesting if Flip doesn't have some recruiting aces lined up.

I'll second the nomination for no Whitman. Flip can handle the X's and O's of college hoops without Whit.

Bob - I understand why it might appear to be too much crony coachism. My personal opinion is that, at this moment, Flip is our only realistic hope to land all three of the big three and propel us to new heights. That said, I've heard that Flip's age and recruiting ability are the big question marks surrounding his candidacy and think some on this list could help alleviate those issues. I'm not advocating for all of them though. Here's the way I see it:

-Dave Thorson's experience as an assistant coach in college and DeLaSalle connections (Mr. Travis) would make him a candidate.
-I've heard nothing but great things about JB and think he could connect with recruits.
-Jared is another young guy with some experience at another D1 program and most importantly a relative of Tyus. He's probably more of basketball operations type of hire than #1 or #2 assistant.
-Trent/Quincy are only interesting if Flip doesn't have some recruiting aces lined up.

I'll second the nomination for no Whitman. Flip can handle the X's and O's of college hoops without Whit.

No, I actually think this staff would make sense to surround Flip. I didn't mean to rip on your suggestions, they are realistic. I am just not really interested in creating this kind of staff surrounding a guy like Flip. I have never liked Flip as a coach and I think he would be an awful college basketball coach. My reasoning is that he has never been a guy who excelled with a younger NBA roster, he likes to run complicated sets and likes them to be run by veteran NBA teams. He openly complained about his time in Washington because that team wasn't the veteran team he had hoped to coach. I just can't see him being an effective college coach.

Your scenario essentially leaves most of the X's and O's to be run by Flip. I don't trust his X's and O's generally (his offense is built on long two's, effective offenses are built around the three point shot and free throws), but I especially don't trust his offensive sets being run by 18-21 yr old guys.

No, I actually think this staff would make sense to surround Flip. I didn't mean to rip on your suggestions, they are realistic. I am just not really interested in creating this kind of staff surrounding a guy like Flip. I have never liked Flip as a coach and I think he would be an awful college basketball coach. My reasoning is that he has never been a guy who excelled with a younger NBA roster, he likes to run complicated sets and likes them to be run by veteran NBA teams. He openly complained about his time in Washington because that team wasn't the veteran team he had hoped to coach. I just can't see him being an effective college coach.

Your scenario essentially leaves most of the X's and O's to be run by Flip. I don't trust his X's and O's generally (his offense is built on long two's, effective offenses are built around the three point shot and free throws), but I especially don't trust his offensive sets being run by 18-21 yr old guys.

If Flip takes the job here, he's not going to be expecting them to be NBA veterans. Don't you think he might adapt and simplify things a bit?

Would Bobby J be a candidate for an assistant job considering his admitted cheating in the academic scandal? He's on the Sacramento staff now...hmmm?

I wouldn't mind Thorson considering his knowledge of Minneapolis HS hoops.

If Flip takes the job here, he's not going to be expecting them to be NBA veterans. Don't you think he might adapt and simplify things a bit?

I'm sure he will, but then you're hiring Flip to not be Flip. We are essentially hiring an NBA X's and O's type coach with limited college experience who will have to adapt his offense for younger players.

Essentially we are hiring a guy who will need to tweek his offense (so that's an unknown), hasn't recruited in decades, and is almost 60 years old. I'm not super enthused with that prognosis.

Would Bobby J be a candidate for an assistant job considering his admitted cheating in the academic scandal? He's on the Sacramento staff now...hmmm?

Does Bobby Jackson have his college degree?

Does Bobby Jackson have his college degree?

If Flip gets the job, I hope he strongly considers J.B. Bickerstaff, Dave Thorson and Jared Nuness as assistants. Trent Tucker and Quincy would also be interesting candidates.

Personally, I am fine with Tubby as our coach next year as long as he shakes up the coaching staff. That said, if we hire Flip.. this staff is NOT something that gets me excited at all. Plus, how could you leave out Ryan Saunders? You know, its almost a fact, that Ryan is the only sure thing to be on his staff. I'd say a 90% chance. After Ryan, I am hoping Flip allows TEague to at least make one recommendation. Teague and Ellis have so many contacts in the assistant coaching world, why waste that resource? Flip or Tubby, should allow Teague to make one recommendation for the staff. I don't think Flip has enough college coaching connections to just put together a great college staff.. this is not the NBA. X's and O's are important, but you need recruiting connections to hot beds around the country, this is where a good assistant comes in..

Personally, I am fine with Tubby as our coach next year as long as he shakes up the coaching staff. That said, if we hire Flip.. this staff is NOT something that gets me excited at all. Plus, how could you leave out Ryan Saunders? You know, its almost a fact, that Ryan is the only sure thing to be on his staff. I'd say a 90% chance. After Ryan, I am hoping Flip allows TEague to at least make one recommendation. Teague and Ellis have so many contacts in the assistant coaching world, why waste that resource? Flip or Tubby, should allow Teague to make one recommendation for the staff. I don't think Flip has enough college coaching connections to just put together a great college staff.. this is not the NBA. X's and O's are important, but you need recruiting connections to hot beds around the country, this is where a good assistant comes in..

Only one suggestion: Experienced recruiter. Need the local contacts, but need national ones even more. An all Gopher alumni with little to no college coaching experience is an invitation to disaster. Current staff needs some adjustments. Can't imagine the heat the university would take if it canned Tubby. It would take years to overcome that.

Flip needs recruiting contacts. Brian Dutcher and Eric Mussleman. If Maturi hadn't screwed over Jimmy Williams, I'm sure Flip would reach out to Jimmy.

I wonder if Teague would allow Ryan. Allowing Saul was a mistake. I don't know why coaches don't use their connections to get jobs. Surely Tubby could have got some coach somewhere to hire Saul.

Thorson ? Absurd! Lifetime Job vs ? +if you know DT he likes being the Boss. Flips Buddy Don Zierdan would be on his staff. THE SCOUT!

FLip has been involved in basketball for the past 30 years. You don't think he has done a little networking? You work in any field for 30 years and you will network with quite a bit of people.

FLip has been involved in basketball for the past 30 years. You don't think he has done a little networking? You work in any field for 30 years and you will network with quite a bit of people.

If his networking doesn't include high school basketball coaches in Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Memphis, etc. than it doesn't help. He may very well have, but I don't understand how people equate coaching the NBA with having lots of good recruiting contacts. I am not questioning his X and O's. Locally he has plenty of connections, but we would be firing Tubby to have someone take us to the next level. That doesn't happen unless we recruit nationally at a high level.

Flip may be great, but he hardly has a track record for high major D1.

Mike Ellis may want to get back on staff like at VCU.

Flip needs recruiting contacts. Brian Dutcher and Eric Mussleman. If Maturi hadn't screwed over Jimmy Williams, I'm sure Flip would reach out to Jimmy.
Dutcher's already lined up for the San Diego State job. His loyalty is to Fisher, not Minnesota.

I've been giving this some thought.

Candidates are:
Ryan Saunders - Son of Flip.
Brent Haskins - Son of Clem (1997 Big-10 champion).
Brian Dutcher - Son of Jim (1982 Big-10 champion)
Eric Musselman - Son of Bill (1972 Big-10 champion)
Isaiah Dahlman - Former MSU player under Izzo, Grandson to John Kundla (5-time NBA champion with Mpls Lakers)

Flip Saunders, Vince Taylor, Ryan Saunders, Quincy Lewis, Trent Tucker would be my dream staff

The only real requirement for the next coach is he's got the best possible chance of landing Tyus, Rashad and Reid. They can coach themselves if they have to.

How would anyone know if Ryan Saunders is a good coach?

Top Bottom