Flight Tracker Thread: Fleck Possible to Minnesota Tomorrow - Flight Plan listed

MJH on Rivals is saying Fleck wants the job bad.

This makes me want him as our head coach a lot less. Fleck isn't the guy we want or need, I would rather have Kleimen from NDSU than Fleck. I think there is a lot more substance to a guy like Kleimen than Fleck.

reasonable point for sure, but Les Steckle likely could have coached this team to 9 wins with the schedule we had. If Claeys got us to a major bowl game, meaning some signature win, 10 or 11 wins then he would have managed to get this team to overachieve. The the administration would have had a stronger reason to back him. But Claey's hasn't shown me anything that says he is extraordinary as a coach. Then you lump the team disciplinary problems in, the questionable culture, some poor recruiting, and a new AD - and you have a bunch of reasons for a new head coach. "If the status quo is mediocrity, then change the status quo".

Sure, I don't think Claeys is an extraordinary coach. But when you're the University of Minnesota, all you want is a good coach at the moment. I would love 10 or 11 wins, but we've done that once(?) in program history. It's okay to have different expectations than Alabama when you're the Gopher football team. Success isn't built into the name. We need a good coach and some stability in the program to have a chance at becoming an upper Big 10 team.

I'll take status quo (I think it's obvious Claeys has been quite above that level) for one of the worst football programs in the conference. You don't jump from worst to first in one season, and Kill/Claeys did nothing but improve towards the top of the conference. Looking forward to a 3 win team the next year or two....

This makes me want him as our head coach a lot less. Fleck isn't the guy we want or need, I would rather have Kleimen from NDSU than Fleck. I think there is a lot more substance to a guy like Kleimen than Fleck.
I want a coach who doesn't want to be here

Fleck is a guy who could actually create some buzz around town about the program. Even without the latest "scandal" and with a 9-win season in his hip pocket, TC was not creating much interest in the program. Many say that all you have to do is win, but at Minnesota, that isn't altogether true, though it is certainly part of the equation. You have to get in front of the "buying" public and promote your tail off. TC was looking to decrease his public speaking engagements, he had no weekly television show (my guess is that he was the only BIG Coach to go this route) and instead replaced it with a "lame" (my opinion) internet broadcast of about 15 minutes per week. I know TC can coach, but his recruiting class for next year was ranked at the bottom of the BIG. This, plus waning interest, made it hard for Coyle to keep him. I feel very sorry for him and especially for his staff, all of whom have done great work here. I would love to have some of them stay, but I also understand that a new Coach will want to bring in his own guys. All of that being said, the U had better move quickly. If the search goes on for more than a week, current players and recruits will be looking elsewhere.

Creating "buzz" around town is valuable for about 3 months. Brew created "buzz" around town. Then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been away for awhile- is dpod still around and posting on here? This assignment is in his wheelhouse for sure.

Creating "buzz" around town is valuable for about 3 months. Brew created "buzz" around town. Then what?

Fleck had a few GREAT recruiting classes at Western Michigan. He can coach too it seems. He obviously has a lot of emotion and slogans etc - but It might not be accurate to compare him to the phony Brewster - who did nothing prior to coming to MN. Fleck is likely a different animal.

Fleck had a few GREAT recruiting classes at Western Michigan. He can coach too it seems. He obviously has a lot of emotion and slogans etc - but It might not be accurate to compare him to the phony Brewster - who did nothing prior to coming to MN. Fleck is likely a different animal.

If he can recruit (not proven) and if he can coach, great. My point was "buzz" is temporary and not a reason to hire someone.

People do realize he is a Head Coach now. He has led a program and taken them to great heights. What the heck did Brewster do before coming here? The comparisons of the two don't make sense to me.

People do realize he is a Head Coach now. He has led a program and taken them to great heights. What the heck did Brewster do before coming here? The comparisons of the two don't make sense to me.

My point was "buzz" is temporary and not a reason to hire.

Brewster could recruit.

Granted PJ has a better resume than Brewster for sure but PJ says he's not an Xs and Os guy, if his Xs and Ox guys aren't good then we're right back to Brewster times.... recruiting without winning.

Brewster could recruit.

Granted PJ has a better resume than Brewster for sure but PJ says he's not an Xs and Os guy, if his Xs and Ox guys aren't good then we're right back to Brewster times.... recruiting without winning.

That's why O-coordinators exist.

Brewster could recruit.

I suppose it comes down to how good a manager and administrator the guy is, but my preferred candidate knows his football.

I suppose it comes down to how good a manager and administrator the guy is, but my preferred candidate knows his football.

Same, I'll support whomever it is but a lack of Xs and Ox makes it seem like even with success there is a cliff there we're waiting to fall off at anytime.

Brewster could recruit.

Brewster's primary issue wasn't playcalling/"X's and Os" (four offenses in four years isn't ideal, I guess), it was player development. I remember Kill and his staff had to spend their first spring on campus teaching players how to tackle properly.

Brewster's primary issue wasn't playcalling/"X's and Os" (four offenses in four years isn't ideal, I guess), it was player development. I remember Kill and his staff had to spend their first spring on campus teaching players how to tackle properly.

I think Brewster's issue was .... everything. Except recruiting.

I have nightmares about that stupid play where we run the RB ... and then would send Grey into the same damn hole because I guess the idea was the RB would run in there and draw all the LBs in so that Grey would meet the maximum amount of resistance or something....

I think Brewster's issue was .... everything. Except recruiting.

I have nightmares about that stupid play where we run the RB ... and then would send Grey into the same damn hole because I guess the idea was the RB would run in there and draw all the LBs in so that Grey would meet the maximum amount of resistance or something....

Hey! That's what Penn State did in the 4th qtr Monday.

If he can recruit (not proven) and if he can coach, great. My point was "buzz" is temporary and not a reason to hire someone.

If you read the rest of my post, I also mention that winning is certainly part of the equation. The proof is in the pudding: we won 9 games and didn't sellout a single game. Right now I'd take ANY buzz, if even temporary.

If you read the rest of my post, I also mention that winning is certainly part of the equation. The proof is in the pudding: we won 9 games and didn't sellout a single game. Right now I'd take ANY buzz, if even temporary.

Meh. I really don't care if we draw more fans to TCF Bank Stadium in the short term. Come to think of it, I don't care one little bit. Not sure why I would or should. Win and we draw consistently. "Buzz" from a new coach is worthless, IMO. Great, we win the press conference. Yawn.

Same, I'll support whomever it is but a lack of Xs and Ox makes it seem like even with success there is a cliff there we're waiting to fall off at anytime.

Aside from being a tad off in the flight, it seems my early projection of Fleck was right on. "Row The Boat"

Looks like I would expect a Press Conference Tomorrow afternoon including Coach Fleck....He arrives tomorrow morning it looks like. Flight Plan KAZO to MSP.jpg

Top Bottom