Fleck's post-game comments

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/college/minne...to-say-following-the-Illinois-loss-174655121/

Q. How would you evaluate Tanner Morgan's day?

Inconsistent.

I thought he played really hard, but he got hit hard a few times from different areas. But I would just say inconsistent, which again falls on me, but he's tough. He's a competitor. He brought us down the field really well in that two minute drill to get some points on the board. I thought we used our timeouts really well to be to give ourselves the best chance to get the ball back. We just couldn't finish it. We couldn't finish it on the first two first downs of the fourth quarter and or the last drive, but I know he could have played better.

But it doesn't fall on one guy. We all could have coached better, could have played better and ultimately as a head coach, it falls on me."

---

Q. The offensive line had been so dominant, so what do you think were the issues with the pressures and holds?

I gotta go back and look at the penalty stuff, but they were doing a lot of good things where they were inserting gaps, and coming from different directions and coming from different depths and blitzing different people and they're blitzing a lot of people too. So keeping a lot of people down in that box. And we weren't either breaking a tackle,, or wouldn't sustain a block as somebody fall off on the block, we get beat by one guy in protection. And again, it was just an inconsistent performance all around. And again, that falls on me."

---

Q. Do you still feel like Tanner Morgan gives you the best chance to win?

Oh, absolutely. That's not a tough question.

We just went for it 4-0 in October and he controlled and managed and ran the offense incredibly well. When you're the quarterback or you're the head coach, you're always gonna get credit and you're always gonna get the blame. And that's part of the job and falls on me. And from a player's perspective, it always falls on the quarterback.

We'll evaluate everything that we're doing. In terms of just like we always do, in terms of this individual gameplay. We'll look at the film, evaluate it, make decisions moving forward, that's best for the football team. And we'll continue to do that."

Why don’t some of these geniuses ask about Sanford and the offensive game plan?
Agree. It’s difficult watching these post game press conferences and not having these questions asked.

So he says "It falls on me" then "But it doesn't fall on one guy. We all could have coached better, could have played better and ultimately as a head coach, it falls on me." OK. Based on his comments, he's not going to sit Morgan.

The best team he has ever coached can't beat two of the three really bad teams they play this year? I'm actually worried about Indiana at this point.

So he says "It falls on me" then "But it doesn't fall on one guy. We all could have coached better, could have played better and ultimately as a head coach, it falls on me." OK. Based on his comments, he's not going to sit Morgan.

The best team he has ever coached can't beat two of the three really bad teams they play this year? I'm actually worried about Indiana at this point.
I am concerned about Indiana too. They had an impossible schedule at the beginning of the season and that pretty much set the tone. They are still a very dangerous team and the Gophers haven't exactly had an easy time in Bloomington over the years.

I am concerned about Indiana too. They had an impossible schedule at the beginning of the season and that pretty much set the tone. They are still a very dangerous team and the Gophers haven't exactly had an easy time in Bloomington over the years.
I actually think they are not very good at all, which worries me with the Gophs.

I actually think they are not very good at all, which worries me with the Gophs.
There's some truth to that, sadly. Indiana might be another Nebraska this year. The play a lot of very good teams close but they can't pull off one win. Their two wins are against non-conference nobodies. Their other non-conference game was against Cincinnati.

Top Bottom