Fleck will win and, YES, we can keep him here long term.

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
This goes for both Pitino and Fleck. I like both picks and believe that they can both become institutions here at MN. They are young, passionate recruiters that DO NOT appear to have deep moral flaws and they can learn the rest. All the conversations that I have had over the last day have ended with a comment that - after a couple of good seasons we need to start worrying Fleck will jump to another school but that is OK because it will be worth it to keep the program headed in the right direction. I reject this idea.

U of M is not a springboard for other schools unless there is some unique connection that a coach has with a school like it being his alma mater or in the case of Holtz, Notre Dame. If they prove themselves to be bad at what they do then they will step down into a lessor role or to a lessor school. If they win they turn the school into the coveted coaching role that all you guys are talking about - complete with all the glory and compensation that they can handle. Neither coaches are going to trade this to take a chance on making a lateral move to another big name school with even higher expectations.

It is up to Coyle/Kaler to paint the vision and keep these guys happy along the way - YES, there is absolutely a way to keep them if they are winning. If they leave to take a better job you can bet that the University Leadership screwed it up and 100% of the fault is on the Athletic Director/President. I look forward to watching these guys for many years - and it will take many years. Go Gophers!

There are plenty of both basketball and football programs that would be considered to be more than lateral moves from the U of M. Kind of naive to think that either Pitino or Fleck will be here forever, even and especially if they are wildly successful.

It would be utterly disastrous for either program to be built up to the point where a coach was sought-after by a blue blood, thus leaving the program in great shape for another strong candidate to come in a take over the momentum.

Does he have NFL aspirations, or is he a college guy? I know he played in the NFL, just not sure if that's his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he have NFL aspirations, or is he a college guy? I know he played in the NFL, just not sure if that's his thing.

I can't speak to his aspirations, but I would not think that his schtick would work with grown adult men.

He also coached in the NFL with Schiano. In fact, Fleck has taken almost the exact same coaching path as Harbaugh: NFL position coach --> succhessful lower level NCAA head coach --> FBS head coach (but not a "name" school).

But let's all agree it's silly, but oh so Minnesotan, to be talking on Day 1 about our coach leaving us for a prettier girl.

He was in the NFL for 1 year...and it was as Tampa Bay WR coach...and they sucked. I suspect guys in the league would tolerate his antics for about 2 minutes.

He also coached in the NFL with Schiano. In fact, Fleck has taken almost the exact same coaching path as Harbaugh: NFL position coach --> succhessful lower level NCAA head coach --> FBS head coach (but not a "name" school).

But let's all agree it's silly, but oh so Minnesotan, to be talking on Day 1 about our coach leaving us for a prettier girl.

On what planet has Fleck taken "almost' the same coaching path as Harbaugh?

He will never leave. This is his dream job. He told us so. He's also a Christian, so I'm sure that he's not lying to us.

On what planet has Fleck taken "almost' the same coaching path as Harbaugh?

Um, I'd say they're almost exactly the same to this point in Fleck's career:

Harbaugh:
2001: Low level college assistant (albeit for his dad at WKU)
2002: NFL position coach (Raiders QB's)
2004-2006: Low level college head coach (U of San Diego)
2007-2011: FBS head coach (Stanford)

Fleck:
2006-2009: Low level college assistant (OSU, NIU)
2010-2011: NFL position coach (Bucs WR's)
2012-2016: Low level college head coach (WMU)
2017-?: FBS head coach (Minnesota)

You don't see any similarities to this point? Obviously Harbaugh did huge things in 4 years at Stanford and then went on to the 49ers and Michigan. No telling what Fleck will do. Could fail spectacularly, and the similarities to Harbaugh will quickly end. BUT...if he does for MN what Harbaugh did for Stanford I'll be one happy guy.

It's only day 2. We should probably all relax.

PS: Coyle is still a boob. I love the avatar...I'm the one who dug that up online the other day :)

This post is about the fact that good coaches CAN be retained. Maybe/probably not forever but there is nothing to worry about.

The U leadership needs to be held accountable for their management. Nobody should expect anything different because good management will result in nothing less than keeping these guys. Admittedly Minnesota has been beat up by poor management for a long time. For example, Maturi may be the worst AD in college sports ever for how badly he bungled the Haskins of the 90s - he set the program back 15-20 years. To frame it up a different way - it is their job to paint the vision, set the long term strategy, make the hires, keep the good ones, and solve the impossible problems that come up along the way. It appears that we have a couple of good coaching prospects so now it is up to them to do their job and keep these guys. I believe they will so lets hear no more on this subject of keeping people when discussing these guys because winning makes this a great job for them and easy for the management to do their job. They will be here for a long time if they do well - and they will.

I don't see why every one seems to think he'll leave. Why, because he is a young, up and coming salesman type coach? Because since he left a MAC team after 4 years that means he'll leave us after 4 years? I would think at one point Ferentz, Alvarez and Fitzgeral all got some coaching calls but they all decided to stay. He's already in the top 6 in terms of head coaches salary in the Big Ten and that could go up if he gets an extension in a few years. Anyways, I think it's a lot more likely he gets fired then leaves for a better job.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I kind of think Fleck is more the type that wants to a legend at a particular school. This isn't a rip on PJ, I think most coaches have big egos, but if Fleck brought a lot of success here, he would be a god. He'd be bigger than the program. He'd be Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, Bobby Bowdeen, Joe Paterno (minus the kid stuff).

If Tom Herman does well, he'll get tons of accolades and make a lot of money, but he will never be bigger than Longhorn football.

At the end of the day, if he's successful enough to get the blue bloods' interest, that's what Marlo Stanfield would call "one of them good problems".

Maybe I'm crazy, but I kind of think Fleck is more the type that wants to a legend at a particular school. This isn't a rip on PJ, I think most coaches have big egos, but if Fleck brought a lot of success here, he would be a god. He'd be bigger than the program. He'd be Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, Bobby Bowdeen, Joe Paterno (minus the kid stuff).

If Tom Herman does well, he'll get tons of accolades and make a lot of money, but he will never be bigger than Longhorn football.

At the end of the day, if he's successful enough to get the blue bloods' interest, that's what Marlo Stanfield would call "one of them good problems".

What the hell is blue blood? I always think of the NE wealthy people and Royals.

This post is about the fact that good coaches CAN be retained. Maybe/probably not forever but there is nothing to worry about.

The U leadership needs to be held accountable for their management. Nobody should expect anything different because good management will result in nothing less than keeping these guys. Admittedly Minnesota has been beat up by poor management for a long time. For example, Maturi may be the worst AD in college sports ever for how badly he bungled the Haskins of the 90s - he set the program back 15-20 years. To frame it up a different way - it is their job to paint the vision, set the long term strategy, make the hires, keep the good ones, and solve the impossible problems that come up along the way. It appears that we have a couple of good coaching prospects so now it is up to them to do their job and keep these guys. I believe they will so lets hear no more on this subject of keeping people when discussing these guys because winning makes this a great job for them and easy for the management to do their job. They will be here for a long time if they do well - and they will.

The Twin Cities area is a great place to live. We have a lot to offer a coach trying to build a basketball or football program....plus we are the only D1 school in the state. In all my years, we have had one coach leave here, and that was Holtz for Notre Dame. At this moment, I'm not so worried about it.

The Twin Cities area is a great place to live. We have a lot to offer a coach trying to build a basketball or football program....plus we are the only D1 school in the state. In all my years, we have had one coach leave here, and that was Holtz for Notre Dame. At this moment, I'm not so worried about it.

Jerry Kill also left here without getting fired.

What the hell is blue blood? I always think of the NE wealthy people and Royals.

Yeah, I don't know why I used that term. I blame someone else, they said, it got stuck in my head.

I meant "helmet schools".

Oh. . . btw. . . I thought blue bloods were nobility, which is the class right under royalty. But, I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know why I used that term. I blame someone else, they said, it got stuck in my head.

I meant "helmet schools"

LOL. Thanks. It's funny I have been on here since 2010 and it finally occurred to me who Bob Loblaw is, nicely played. ;)

He left here because of health reasons....not because he wanted to leave for a better job.

I am making the point Jerry Kill didn't get fired and was the first coach to do so since Lou Holtz.

He won't leave for another B1G school. He doesn't seem Southern or Hollywood. Why not make Minnesota a Helmet School?

The most base difference between Minnesota and WMU is that you can reach the top here. The way major college football is set up and funded means that about 50 schools have a shot at the top rungs of the sport. Some are easier than others but Minnesota has a seat at that table.

By the hypothetical time he would be poached, he would already probably be sitting on top of a 10+ win B1G program with a top salary and resources. At that point why leave? It's then become a destination job.

Coaches could always leave. But they aren't obligated to leave a B1G school to reach their dreams like they must in the MAC.

There are plenty of both basketball and football programs that would be considered to be more than lateral moves from the U of M. Kind of naive to think that either Pitino or Fleck will be here forever, even and especially if they are wildly successful.
^^^^^^ this

Poor P Ruesse - doesnt like Fleck hire (or has doubts) He probably is miffed that Gopher hoops and football are the much bigger stories than their pro counterparts - most of the twin city media wont know what to do!!!

I don't see why every one seems to think he'll leave. Why, because he is a young, up and coming salesman type coach? Because since he left a MAC team after 4 years that means he'll leave us after 4 years? I would think at one point Ferentz, Alvarez and Fitzgeral all got some coaching calls but they all decided to stay. He's already in the top 6 in terms of head coaches salary in the Big Ten and that could go up if he gets an extension in a few years. Anyways, I think it's a lot more likely he gets fired then leaves for a better job.
Fleck is not a settler. He's looking to move to newer and better pastures. Just call him "Pa Ingles."

This topic always gets me. Everyone always seems to think that our coaches are always going to jump ship and leave for somewhere else. And yet, no football OR basketball coach has left Minnesota for another position on their own merits in 30 years. This is the Big Ten. It is a destination job, no matter how much of an inferiority complex we want to have about it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This topic always gets me. Everyone always seems to think that our coaches are always going to jump ship and leave for somewhere else. And yet, no football OR basketball coach has left Minnesota for another position on their own merits in 30 years. This is the Big Ten. It is a destination job, no matter how much of an inferiority complex we want to have about it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That is true, mainly because other than Jerry Kill, we've fired every football and basketball coach we've had in the last 30 years.

Top Bottom