Fleck: "We're going to get Chris back here hopefully really quickly, and then you can see a pretty good wide receiving corps"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Autman-Bell progressing

Wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell, who warmed up for the opener but didn't play because of a lower leg injury suffered Aug. 12, is progressing toward returning to the lineup, possibly on Saturday. "We're going to get Chris back here hopefully really quickly, and then you can see a pretty good wide receiving corps," Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

All the injury cloak and dagger stuff always annoys me. I get it, most coaches do it. It is what it is. It is just annoying as a fan when in the old days injury status was typically communicated clearly and fans could make educated guesses on when players would return and be reasonably accurate.

in this case there was the whole drama surrounding the statement of CrAB going from “week to week” to “day to day” - which suggested he’d be ready within a week. Yet, here we are several weeks later and an appearance on the field for the second game is in doubt.

What in the past was a “broken collar bone” with an estimate of “6 weeks” to return, is now an “upper body injury.” Ibrahim’s Achilles injury is a “lower body injury” and even with obvious season ending surgery on tap and the entire room knowing exactly what it was, Fleck still didn’t say “Achilles” in his news conference. Like I said, I get it, but it still annoys me.

All the injury cloak and dagger stuff always annoys me. I get it, most coaches do it. It is what it is. It is just annoying as a fan when in the old days injury status was typically communicated clearly and fans could make educated guesses on when players would return and be reasonably accurate.

in this case there was the whole drama surrounding the statement of CrAB going from “week to week” to “day to day” - which suggested he’d be ready within a week. Yet, here we are several weeks later and an appearance on the field for the second game is in doubt.

What in the past was a “broken collar bone” with an estimate of “6 weeks” to return, is now an “upper body injury.” Ibrahim’s Achilles injury is a “lower body injury” and even with obvious season ending surgery on tap and the entire room knowing exactly what it was, Fleck still didn’t say “Achilles” in his news conference. Like I said, I get it, but it still annoys me.

Part of it is competitive mystery, part of it is the unknowns of injury recovery, part of it is disclosure of personal health information about an amateur student-athlete at a state-run institution.

Part of it is competitive mystery, part of it is the unknowns of injury recovery, part of it is disclosure of personal health information about an amateur student-athlete at a state-run institution.
"Amateur" if not already, will be out the window soon.

Yeah it is annoying not knowing.

I just assume I'm not going to know closer to gametime. After "week to week" I just assumed I was never going to hear anything after that.

It is what it is now. Really hard to blame PJ for not giving away more information than needed when nobody else does it. If we did ... can you imagine the complaints about being dumb enough to give away that kinda info when nobody else does?

No need to rush CAB back this week against Miami. Get some more new receivers some run and let's have CAB back against Colorado.
Is the thought to bring him back against Miami for a couple series just to get him back in the swing of it -- or just rest to CU?

No need to rush CAB back this week against Miami. Get some more new receivers some run and let's have CAB back against Colorado.

Agreed.

No reason to risk reaggravating the injury if CAB is not 100%. With Jackson and Wright out there....I thought the WR crew looked good as is. Not to mention that BSF is a nice weapon who looked really smooth catching and running with the ball.

Of course....getting CAB back obviously improves the WR room.

Is the thought to bring him back against Miami for a couple series just to get him back in the swing of it -- or just rest to CU?
Yes. That is a tough call. Playing against Miami of Ohio could help with knocking the rust off, but maybe rest is more important?

I guess I was just thinking that - since we should be in good shape against Miami - I'd rather make sure he is 100% and use him in a game with much more at stake. If he is actually 100% this weekend, we could work him into things gradually. It just seems like going from not dressing against OSU to playing a full game 9 days later seems like a big jump.

I guess I was just thinking that - since we should be in good shape against Miami - I'd rather make sure he is 100% and use him in a game with much more at stake. If he is actually 100% this weekend, we could work him into things gradually. It just seems like going from not dressing against OSU to playing a full game 9 days later seems like a big jump.
It does seem like a big jump, but when you factor in that Autman Bell was probably in the process of being upgraded from hour to hour to minute to minute this week I think we're fine.

I mean, day to day made sense to me. Sometimes these injuries linger, but could resolve any day. CAB could truly be day to day based on how he feels, but when he warmed up either he said "nope" or the coaches noticed something and said "not yet".

Top Bottom