Fleck prediction

And if you say that next year will you welcome some blowhard on the site lecturing you about how your opinion is wrong and you should shove it up your ass?
Blowhard to blowhard, how would that be any different than you being your typical, sarcastic douchebag self and coming on here trying to retain your status as blowhard elite by making this comment? You got me good there, spoofin, you sure showed me. A taste of my own medicine🙄

No, because it will be coming off the heels of what may be a 5-7 season and I've predicated it by saying I'm open to reassessment. And I'm not a self loathing asshole who wants to project my anger and misery onto everyone else.

the most ardent Fleck defenders are pushing the narrative of:

"If you want to get rid of Fleck, you have to name the coach who is going to take his place."

Look - I do not claim to know the name of every college FB coach in the country.

But - regardless of how I feel about Fleck - I reject the idea that in the entire college FB world, there is no one - not one coach - who could possibly come into MN and do as well as Fleck.

there have been many coaches before Fleck - and there will be many coaches after Fleck. Fleck is not the program. He is the current caretaker of the program. If Fleck was that good - this season would not be playing out the way it is.
You are correct in this.
We won’t get a known quantity better than fleck but there are plenty of guys you could get that are better than fleck.
You just won’t know if they are until year 3 or 4.

Which is why I’m not to the point of getting rid of fleck.

I know I don’t want to hire a known worse than fleck.
For another year or two, I would rather see if fleck can make another run than hire an unknown quantity.

Biggest issue is that someone is forcing you to follow the program and watch the games. Get away from the people forcing this on you.

If you’re choosing to be this unhappy (you said you’re miserable for 3-4 hours) maybe find some new interests.
Yup
People following the gophers disappointed they haven’t won a championship these 5 years should go check the records post 1970 and realize they need to step off the ledge and/or find a new team

We should strive for championships but if you are truly depressed about this team you have picked the wrong team

Yup
People following the gophers disappointed they haven’t won a championship these 5 years should go check the records post 1970 and realize they need to step off the ledge and/or find a new team

We should strive for championships but if you are truly depressed about this team you have picked the wrong team

Honestly I use to get pretty upset. But I’m an adult now. I have two kids and other things happening. Watched every snap yesterday. Was disappointed they got crushed. It was not an entertaining game.

Then I watched some Bluey, put the kids to bed, watched some sports docs, had a couple beers and went to bed. Sun rose this AM. Life is ok.

If anything short of 9-10 wins disappoints you—you’ll be disappointed a lot.

Blowhard to blowhard, how would that be any different than you being your typical, sarcastic douchebag self and coming on here trying to retain your status as blowhard elite by making this comment? You got me good there, spoofin, you sure showed me. A taste of my own medicine🙄

No, because it will be coming off the heels of what may be a 5-7 season and I've predicated it by saying I'm open to reassessment. And I'm not a self loathing asshole who wants to project my anger and misery onto everyone else.
I think your self righteous rant showed us all exactly who you are.

There are other things that can be looked at other than Gopher history the last five or six decades.

Maybe look at Northwestern at an interim head coach who did not have a fantasy in his head last summer of running the show. He's a better football guy than Fleck.

Or, look at the new head coach we played yesterday. First year at the helm, marginal talent, and he coached circles around Fleck and Rossi.

There are plenty of good game prep and gameday football coaches around. Fleck is not one of them.
Two valid points, but NW and Purdue are playing with house money. NW has a chip on their shoulder and Purdue wasn't expected to do much. They're loose. Their coaches know thst this year, in the end, is whatever and everything is gravy.

Us? We're tight. We're trying to play for more, they're just having fun. Is that an indictment on Fleck? Maybe. But the expectations are different across programs and I think the pressure is much more significant here, especially based on Fleck's existing body of work prior to this season. I truly think he believes we're on the cusp of turning the corner, too, which could explain his need for control in all things.

Honestly I use to get pretty upset. But I’m an adult now. I have two kids and other things happening. Watched every snap yesterday. Was disappointed they got crushed. It was not an entertaining game.

Then I watched some Bluey, put the kids to bed, watched some sports docs, had a couple beers and went to bed. Sun rose this AM. Life is ok.

If anything short of 9-10 wins disappoints you—you’ll be disappointed a lot.
If anything short of 9-10 wins disappoints you, you’ll be disappointed even if we reach it 3 of 5 years

I’m behind on this thread but I would like to point something out to you…you don’t have to watch the games. You don’t have to follow the team. It’s a choice you’re making. If you’re this upset it may be best to take a break. Go for a walk or do some yoga or volunteer at a soup kitchen. Maybe start crocheting or learn to code. Lots of options that shouldn’t upset you to this degree.
I’m not that upset I don’t see like a bunch of capital letters in bolded and! In any of my threads. I’m frustrated and disappointed and yes, during the games occasionally pissed off that we have what I consider to be a really shitty football coach. I’ve been a fan for 40 years and these are the least entertaining games we’ve ever rolled out. if it’s OK with you, I’ll withhold the right to continue watching the games and coming on here to complain if I think PJ sucks ass.

Fleck's culture is a sinking ship. He can't turn it around and stop the ship from sinking.
What's needed is a cultural revolution.

Anyone trust Coyle to make the hire if PJ goes? I don’t. Hires a search firm to find…Ben Johnson. Dunked on a 3 foot hoop and got Motko I guess.

Fleck's culture is a sinking ship. He can't turn it around and stop the ship from sinking.
What's needed is a cultural revolution.
I'd argue the culture is fine, his inability to find an offense is his overwhelming issue.

There are other things that can be looked at other than Gopher history the last five or six decades.

Maybe look at Northwestern at an interim head coach who did not have a fantasy in his head last summer of running the show. He's a better football guy than Fleck.

Or, look at the new head coach we played yesterday. First year at the helm, marginal talent, and he coached circles around Fleck and Rossi.

There are plenty of good game prep and gameday football coaches around. Fleck is not one of them.
I like this post. PJ brings things to the table, but it is hard to argue with a straight face that he is a good game prep and Gameday football coach. He simply is not. I don’t think PJ should be fired, but it would bring a smile to my face if he was. PJ’s shtick has a ceiling and a shelf life. That shelf life is measured in years by some, and minutes by others. I’m in the latter.

He does not strike me as a guy who will wait to be fired. Would he take a lateral move power 5 job to get out of town?
ridiculous. would be the end of his Row the Boat theme if he bailed after running into big waves in the P5 ocean

Fleck has probably the best local class coming in since 2016 (tentatively). He's not going anywhere. That said, I sure hope the Gophs can figure out the f*cking portal issue. It has to hurt watching at least 4-5 quality defensive players from the 2022 squad playing for other better FBS teams this year while your team gets torched for 600 yards by a shitty Purdue team.

I'd argue the culture is fine, his inability to find an offense is his overwhelming issue.
offense in general isnt' the issue, it's PJ's iron fist stranglehold on offense style and non-existent special teams

Yeah, he’s not going anywhere. Firing him now would be viewed as delusional insanity. However, he is trending that way. The team quit yesterday. Ominous sign going forward for any leadership regime.
How did they quit? They couldn't even begin to stop them from the opening drive on.

How do you know they quit? Are you saying they had quit before the game started.

Fleck has probably the best local class coming in since 2016 (tentatively). He's not going anywhere. That said, I sure hope the Gophs can figure out the f*cking portal issue. It has to hurt watching at least 4-5 defensive players from the 2022 squad playing for other better FBS teams this year while your team gets torched for 600 yards by a shitty Purdue team.
please identify the 4-5 quality defensive players playing for other teams. most who left barely play or have little/no impact. Doubt any of them would have made a difference vs the Purdue juggernaut.

please identify the 4-5 quality defensive players playing for other teams. most who left barely play or have little/no impact. Doubt any of them would have made a difference vs the Purdue juggernaut.

Yeah, these guys wouldn't have helped Gopher defensive depth at all...

Dixon (Rutgers, 645 snaps, 83.6 PFF grade),
Bishop (WVU, 652 snaps 80.7 PFF grade),
Booker (Kansas, 384 snaps, 81.7 PFF grade),
Carter (Texas, 160 snaps, 68.3 PFF grade),
Oliver (GA Tech, 227 snaps, 57.0 PFF grade)

I'm not for firing Fleck. What I am for is for him to change his best and practice what he preaches. For Fleck to get off his comfortable ass( stop giving up before it is over or started) and be better. Discover what he loves about coaching, and start to get HIS ENERGY BACK. Find a way for this staff to perform better. That was the least prepared, next man up effort I have seen from the Gophers against an equally injured Purdue team. The defense completely quit on that game and they embarrassed themselves. MN defenses don't usually just flat out give up.This staff completely gave up yesterday and showed little to no effort to fight back. Yesterday was poor preparation and effort.

Last edited:

Yeah, these guys wouldn't have helped Gopher defensive depth at all...

Dixon (Rutgers, 645 snaps, 83.6 PFF grade),
Bishop (WVU, 652 snaps 80.7 PFF grade),
Booker (Kansas, 384 snaps, 81.7 PFF grade),
Carter (Texas, 160 snaps, 68.3 PFF grade),
Oliver (GA Tech, 227 snaps, 57.0 PFF grade)
yes keep focusing on the guys who chose not to be here. quitters in my opinion. the DB's in your list wouldnt help much to slow the ground game that destroyed us. we needed more players up front. RTB

Anyone trust Coyle to make the hire if PJ goes? I don’t. Hires a search firm to find…Ben Johnson. Dunked on a 3 foot hoop and got Motko I guess.
Nope Coyle whiffed on firing both basketball coaches the first time both Women's and men's and his first replacements have been underwhelming. Not sure on current coaches what to think, one is brand new.

I like this post. PJ brings things to the table, but it is hard to argue with a straight face that he is a good game prep and Gameday football coach. He simply is not. I don’t think PJ should be fired, but it would bring a smile to my face if he was. PJ’s shtick has a ceiling and a shelf life. That shelf life is measured in years by some, and minutes by others. I’m in the latter.
Got it. So you don’t think they should make a change

First of all, Fleck isn’t going anywhere, like it or not. But, if there was an opening here, I think Coyle’s first call is Chris Peterson. I have no idea if he wants to coach again, but the two of them are close from their days at Boise State. Very close, and I think Coyle makes him say no before going the search firm route or another direction. Just my opinion.

I'm not for firing Fleck. What I am for is for him to change his best and practice what he preaches. For Fleck to get off his comfortable ass( stop giving up before it is over or started) and be better.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

yes keep focusing on the guys who chose not to be here. quitters in my opinion. the DB's in your list wouldnt help much to slow the ground game that destroyed us. we needed more players up front. RTB
When the argument is that transfers have hurt depth and the ability to deal with injuries, focusing on guys who left is pretty logical

Top Bottom