Fleck prediction

Taken it further than any coach in 50 years.....which isn't saying much.....but it does say a lot about where the program has been in the recent past. A recent past that posters seemingly want again. A worse team with less wins. Hmmmmmm.
Creepy doesn't fit the mantle. The miserable part is related to the same song and dance by the same miserable people with the same miserable "fire the coach" and "PJ is a douche" takes week after week when there's a loss or losses. The same people who provide no decent and reasonable discourse about the team when things are neutral or going well. Just when it's shitty. It's like they're emotional vampires seeking to reap on the discontent and suck the life out of everyone. And I'm sick of it. People can take their "typical Minnesota" and "this isn't good enough" bullshit and shove it up their asses until we have a multiple season body of work showing that this is a real problem and not an occasional blip. None of this is productive, and it doesn't provide any kind of relief because it leads to a swirling vortex of negativity. I feel a duty to fight for reason and practicality and to rail against those who would drag those qualities down into the gutter with them, even if it's a message board. Because this is my place too, and you can be negative but make sense with it, don't just shit all over because you're pissed we lost.
nonsense.

It goes back to whether the conference is close to as good now as it was—which we won’t agree upon. I truly think that PJs nine wins seasons are a bit of a facade. Do you enjoy watching these games and how PJ goes about his business on Saturdays?
So what would your expectations be of a new coach? How many wins a year would he need? How many years would he get to achieve said wins? How many years can he go without said wins? Again you’ve yet to name any of these potential candidates.

Which coach

Which coaches in the Big 10 do you think PJ is better than? Michigan State doesn’t count I would’ve said Purdue before today but that’s obviously not true. Northwestern doesn’t count — otherwise I can’t come up with one.
Tom Allen, Indiana

Referencing what I just said above, so this is obviously not at all an apples to apples comparison .... but it still needs to be said:

Paul Chryst 2015-2021 (and removing covid year): 63-23 (40-15 in Big Ten), including 9-4 (6-3) in 2021.

Goes 2-3 the first five games of 2022 ---- FIRED
How’s that working out for them?

So what would your expectations be of a new coach? How many wins a year would he need? How many years would he get to achieve said wins? How many years can he go without said wins? Again you’ve yet to name any of these potential candidates.
Why would I need to name potential candidate I’m just saying PJ with his antiquated O puts a product on the field that is terrible to watch and peaked in 19 with most of those stars not his guys and is currently fading toward irrelevance.

Not at all the point.

The point is that they would never withstand one 5-7 season, let alone two in a row and still saying they wouldn’t fire Fleck.

Fleck’s whole schtick and culture pitch was built for pre-NIL days. It might have worked in 2009.

Now in NIL … I don’t think anything can work for us. We have no serious money to pay off serious recruits to come here.

It will be the same as it’s always been: 3 stars and an occasional higher rated player who wants to stay home.

That’s a different point that irrelevant to the point that it takes strong willpower and gumption to fire a coach. We don’t have that to start with.

Nevermind if that’s the “right” decision or not.

Why would I need to name potential candidate I’m just saying PJ with his antiquated O puts a product on the field that is terrible to watch and peaked in 19 with most of those stars not his guys and is currently fading toward irrelevance.
Why didn’t he peak in his first year when he had even more of Kill and Claeys’ guys?

That’s a different point that irrelevant to the point that it takes strong willpower and gumption to fire a coach. We don’t have that to start with.

Nevermind if that’s the “right” decision or not.
It takes willpower to stick with one that is down as well. Tough to say which is more affective.

Ah, new to Gopher football like I figured. This isn't a plug and play institution, you should look up the program history from 1967-2017. You're watching a golden age for our program and the termination of Fleck is a guaranteed return to subpar football compared to our current standards.
There are other things that can be looked at other than Gopher history the last five or six decades.

Maybe look at Northwestern at an interim head coach who did not have a fantasy in his head last summer of running the show. He's a better football guy than Fleck.

Or, look at the new head coach we played yesterday. First year at the helm, marginal talent, and he coached circles around Fleck and Rossi.

There are plenty of good game prep and gameday football coaches around. Fleck is not one of them.

It's not just that. The money that has been flowing into college football since the early 00s is nuts. There's a widening gap between the big money programs and everyone else. Now with NIL straight up buying players out of high school.....you also have swooping in and picking players off rosters.

The deck is very much stacked against programs like Minnesota....in ways that it wasn't twenty years ago.
We played Purdue yesterday and Illinois last week. Was the deck very much stacked against Minnesota in those games?

You don't set arbitrary win totals. Wins follow being competitive. They follow not choking on games you have in hand. They follow being aggressive four quarters and not hoping time would elapse after three quarters.

The expectation of a new coach, whenever that happens, is that he not coach like Fleck.

You don't set arbitrary win totals. Wins follow being competitive. They follow not choking on games you have in hand. They follow being aggressive four quarters and not hoping time would elapse after three quarters.

The expectation of a new coach, whenever that happens, is that he not coach like Fleck.
Well meeting that expectation should be easy. Actually producing a better product won’t be.

@FredCoxRocks and so will Ben Johnson!

But who knows, the MBB team might actually take a step forward this year

2019 has never felt farther away.

That's when a lot of people really started following the team.

Covid doesn't count. 21 and 22 were missed opprtunities, but still 9-4 is pretty good.

Feels like free-fall now.

People won't spend their Saturday's watching 5-7 football, especially with this kind of offense. Spending three hours of your weekend is already a lot to ask, and a lot of people already budget that for the Vikings.

It was 20-28 at half.

But then it was: punt punt PurdueTD punt punt punt PurdueTD and you knew it was over.

the most ardent Fleck defenders are pushing the narrative of:

"If you want to get rid of Fleck, you have to name the coach who is going to take his place."

Look - I do not claim to know the name of every college FB coach in the country.

But - regardless of how I feel about Fleck - I reject the idea that in the entire college FB world, there is no one - not one coach - who could possibly come into MN and do as well as Fleck.

there have been many coaches before Fleck - and there will be many coaches after Fleck. Fleck is not the program. He is the current caretaker of the program. If Fleck was that good - this season would not be playing out the way it is.

I’m only miserable for 3-4 hours on Saturdays watching PJ try to put a Big Ten level product on the field.. Blow it up and start over. It wasn’t broken before he got here. It’s not broken now but it’s worse today than it was in Claey’s last year. Plus, personally I think PJ is full of shit and dumb. I would just as soon not have someone like him as our head coach. That’s one guy’s opinion doesn’t make me miserable although I think your opinion makes you rather simple.

I’m behind on this thread but I would like to point something out to you…you don’t have to watch the games. You don’t have to follow the team. It’s a choice you’re making. If you’re this upset it may be best to take a break. Go for a walk or do some yoga or volunteer at a soup kitchen. Maybe start crocheting or learn to code. Lots of options that shouldn’t upset you to this degree.

I’m only miserable for 3-4 hours on Saturdays watching PJ try to put a Big Ten level product on the field.. Blow it up and start over. It wasn’t broken before he got here. It’s not broken now but it’s worse today than it was in Claey’s last year. Plus, personally I think PJ is full of shit and dumb. I would just as soon not have someone like him as our head coach. That’s one guy’s opinion doesn’t make me miserable although I think your opinion makes you rather simple.

Biggest issue is that someone is forcing you to follow the program and watch the games. Get away from the people forcing this on you.

If you’re choosing to be this unhappy (you said you’re miserable for 3-4 hours) maybe find some new interests.

Top Bottom