Fleck on Tanner Morgan having zero passing yards in the second half: “You gotta go by what’s happening on the field.”

When Wright got dinged they went into a shell and clearly were going to just try and do enough to win without putting the ball in the air. Miami was daring us to put it up and we didn't.

The gamble worked and we got the win but it wasn't fun to watch in the second half. The kick return by Bucky Irving really saved our butts. That finally lit a bit of spark under the team and got them going a little bit after they played like crap on both sides of the ball in the 3rd quarter.

I am not sure what will end first, the Enterprise five year mission, or Philip's plain play book.

Fleck is big on identity this year, which is running the ball. So when they throw 6 times in a row and the result is a bunch of drops and stalled drives, it doesn't matter if the QB and WRs are talented. Fleck chalks it up to calling plays that don't align with the identity of the team. During that stretch, unfortunately, our defense let Miami back in the game.

His quote is nuanced, subtly different than before game that proclamation that we “take what the defense gives us.”

Fleck is big on identity this year, which is running the ball. So when they throw 6 times in a row and the result is a bunch of drops and stalled drives, it doesn't matter if the QB and WRs are talented. Fleck chalks it up to calling plays that don't align with the identity of the team. During that stretch, unfortunately, our defense let Miami back in the game.

Fleck is big on identity every year. He want's to be a power run team and physically dominate the opposition. This has led to some struggles in the non-conference games, but they have yet to lose one. Establishing this identity has helped them improve as the season has gone on in every season since he's been here.

We ran the ball multiple times against 8 or 9 in the box. And it wasn’t in short yardage situations.

Morgan was off all game. Throwing hard and high. Drilled several passes that needed touch.

I wouldn't put most of those "drops" on the receivers. Morgan was throwing hard and high most of the time.

I wouldn't put most of those "drops" on the receivers. Morgan was throwing hard and high most of the time.
That is the sign of him forcing it to establish some rhythm. At least his decision making is still sound - the stare downs and physical stuff can get fixed in season if the coaches give him an opportunity to use his skills.

His quote is nuanced, subtly different than before game that proclamation that we “take what the defense gives us.”
Think that was the attempt, but if you drop the ball and thus fail to take what is given, than you can clearly what the end result was

I will decode his cryptic comment...

"I'm clueless at what to do so I'll just keep letting Sanford do his thing even if he is clueless... we were lucky that running into 9 man fronts finally got lucky and paid off in the last half of the 4th quarter."

We ran the ball multiple times against 8 or 9 in the box. And it wasn’t in short yardage situations.
Gophers continue to confuse the defense. 2 running plays and on 3rd down with 6 + yds to go a slant otherwise another running play.

Huh, judging from the comments here, we must have lost to Miami Ohio. Oh well, better luck next year...

Huh, judging from the comments here, we must have lost to Miami Ohio. Oh well, better luck next year...
Can we put this in perspective...yes they won but their play leaves many to wonder if they can put it together otherwise it's going to be a long season.

Can we put this in perspective...yes they won but their play leaves many to wonder if they can put it together otherwise it's going to be a long season.
We will find out week by week. This isn’t complicated. You watch the game. You celebrate a win or you drink to a loss. Either way you enjoy a beer. It's all good.

We will find out week by week. This isn’t complicated. You watch the game. You celebrate a win or you drink to a loss. Either way you enjoy a beer. It's all good.
I have only myself to fall for pre-season hype year after year after year.

Funny how similar these comments are to early 2019 noncon.
The biggest difference was Fleck never claimed, in 2019, that it was his "best team since he arrived in Gopherland". His preseason comments have given fans greater expectations.

THAT's the hitch.

That is the sign of him forcing it to establish some rhythm. At least his decision making is still sound - the stare downs and physical stuff can get fixed in season if the coaches give him an opportunity to use his skills.
He does sometimes force it but he doesn’t have another option as quite a few pass plays are 1 read routes even when 3 are on the field. The other two run dummy/clearing routes to take a defender or two away from where we are trying to go.

Top Bottom